Friday, September 4, 2026

Word: Plication

plication

[plahy-key-shuhn, pli-] / plaɪˈkeɪ ʃən, plɪ- /
Also plicature

noun

  1. the act or procedure of folding.

  2. the state or quality of being folded; a fold.

  3. Surgery.

    1. the folding in and suturing of tucks, so as to tighten weakened or stretched tissue.

    2. the folding of an organ, as a section of the intestine, and the attaching of it to another organ or tissue.

  **********************************

                Leslie was folding small paper stars. She said it was for some school event for her niece and nephew. Chris wondered why she was doing that instead of their parents, but he was grateful. It gave him a rare opportunity.

                He was currently looking at his phone. More specifically, the news. The city had a super hero, and he was currently comparing the costumed heroine with his girlfriend. And the more he looked at the two of them, the more sure he was. Now he just needed some kind of proof. And those small paper stars gave him the perfect opportunity to test his idea.

                “Hey, do you need any more paper?” He asked.

                Leslie did not answer right away. She was lost in the action of folding. “Hm?”

                He chuckled at the lackluster response. Instead of asking again, he acted. He slipped an extra something into a pack of origami paper and handed the thin papers to her.

                “Thanks.” She said, more out of habit than actually acknowledging his action.

                “No problem. If you need anything else, let me know.”

                She did not say anything. Her fingers simply kept going. More and more of the tiny paper ornaments covered the table as she worked. And then she reached his little surprise. Instead of the quiet rustle of paper being folded, the room was filled with the screech of metal being bent. Leslie stopped and actually looked at what she was doing. At the sheet of metal she had casually bent without even noticing. And then at the wide grin and sparkling eyes of her boyfriend.

                “I knew it!” Chris said triumphantly.

                “I…I don’t know what you think you’re thinking, but whatever it is, it’s wrong.” Leslie said quickly.

                Chris showed her the picture on his phone. “I don’t think I am. I think this is you. Am I right? I bet I’m right. I’m right, aren’t I.”

                “Uh…No. No you are not.” Her face was getting slightly flustered. He knew Leslie could tell a lie, but not if she was put on the spot so suddenly. She needed to think about her lies before she told them.

                “Hah! I knew it!”

                “Chris…Don’t say it. Don’t say what you’re about to.”

                “I’m dating a genuine super heroine! This is awesome!”

                Leslie groaned.

                “Oh, don’t worry, Les. I’m not dumb enough to go talking to anyone.” Chris said. “If I even hinted at knowing your secret identity, it’d put a massive target on my back. That’s something I can live without. So yeah, I’m not even going to even suggest that I know who’s behind the mask.”

                “You’d better not.” She said heavily. “What gave it away?”

                “Several things, most of which only I would know. First of all, your alter ego’s figure is identical to yours. And you do have a rather…distinct figure.” He said and moved his hands in a classic hourglass gesture.

                “I really hope my hips weren’t what gave me away.” She replied, giving him a dull expression.

                “No. If it was just that, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Remember last week when you saved that cruise ship?”

                Leslie looked like she wanted to deny her involvement, but she sighed. “Yeah. Yeah, I remember. What about it?”

                “Well, when you were talking to the reporters, the way you answered the questions got my attention. It both looked and sounded like how you act when you’re forced to do something when you’re in a hurry. Which, considering that whole situation occurred about half an hour before your sister’s birthday party, was understandable.”

                Leslie did not say anything. A small smile came briefly to her face. “So it was something small that only you would know?”

                “Pretty much yeah.”

                “Well, I suppose if you were going to find out, that’s a good way for it to happen.” She took a deep breath. “So, what happens now?”

                “Well, I have about a hundred questions for you about your various deeds. And a bunch of ideas on how things will have to change.”

                She crossed her arms and gave him an amused smirk. “Oh really? And what kind of things are those?”

                “Well, for one thing, I’m definitely not opening any more pickle jars, miss ‘I can throw a school bus.’”

                Chris watched his super girlfriend burst into laughter. Yes, knowing her secret was going to make life a lot more interesting in all the best ways.  

No comments:

Post a Comment