Monday, April 16, 2012

Word: aperçu

 
Word of the day from dictionary.com:
Aperçu  \ a-per-SY \  , noun;

1. A hasty glance; a glimpse.

2. An immediate estimate or judgment; understanding; insight.

3. An outline or summary.
************************************************ 
            “I didn’t see anything, I swear.”  said Tom, trying to make himself look as small as possible while backing away into the nearest convenient corner.  It was quite a thing to see, as the room was small, and he was not.  
        “Bull.”  Said Allan.  “I know that was you at the door.”  The small man moved towards Tom, even as Tom tried to move back by shuffling along the wall, finding the corner insufficient for the task he had intended for it.  “You had better tell me what you saw, otherwise I might have to get...creative.”  
        The word sent shivers down Tom’s spine, somehow having more sinister intent than any other word that might have been more threatening to anothers ear.
       “Ok, Ok.  That was me there, but I didn’t have time to see anything.  It was just a quick glance into an open door, that’s all.”  
        Allan said nothing about this.  He simply closed his eyes, as if in deep thought, and took a series of long, slow breaths.  Then, equally slowly, a large, wolfish grin started to appear on his shallow face.  He opened his eyes and looked at Tom.  Tom’s already large eyes got even larger at the implications of the look he was getting.  He had heard the stories.  Such as how the seemingly weak, harmless individual in front of him had once sent a man to the hospital with nothing but a water pistol and a balloon.  He had never figured out how this was done, but he really didn’t want to find out.  Sweat started to pour off Tom’s body in rivers as Allan’s grin got wider, almost comically so.
      “I-i heard some loud noises coming from the room, since the door was open a bit.  I just went to shut it, and happened to look in for a second that’s all.  I don’t even know what I was looking at, really.”
       These words seemed to have an affect on Allan’s considerations, as his grin lessened a bit.  “Oh, I’m sure you didn’t intend to see or do anything.  But that’s also not what I wanted to know.  I want to know exactly what you saw in that second you happened to invade my private life with your all too inquisitive eyes.”
      Tom took a deep breath, gathering his thoughts, recalling the sight from the night before, quickly glimpsed through a small gap from a door that wasn’t quite closed.  “I saw you and some other guy.  I didn’t see who it was though.  Heck, I don’t even know if was a guy.  All I saw was his hands and feet.  You looked over at me as I was shutting the door.  That’s all, I swear, that’s really all.”  
      Suddenly, Allan rushed over, grabbed the much larger man by the chin, and pulled their faces closer together.  He looked into Tom’s eyes, squinting, as if trying to find something very small, or far away.  
      Tom swallowed a nervous lump in his throat as he waited for the small, rough hands to release him.  Allan smiled, a much more normal one this time, and let Tom go.  “Alright then, I guess I’ll take your word for it this time.”  Tom breathed a sigh of relief as Allan turned to go.  “However, I’d take care not to look into any more open doors if I were you.”  
      Allan left the small room, firmly shutting the door behind him.  Tom wiped the sweat off his forehead, very glad the small man had not asked him what he had heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment