Saturday, March 16, 2013

Word: prolepsis



 

prolepsis

\ proh-LEP-sis \  , noun;
1. Rhetoric.  the anticipation of possible objections in order to answer them in advance.
2. the assigning of a person, event, etc., to a period earlier than the actual one; the representation of something in the future as if it already existed or had occurred; prochronism.
3. the use of a descriptive word in anticipation of its becoming applicable.
4. a fundamental conception or assumption in Epicureanism or Stoicism arising spontaneously in the mind without conscious reflection; thought provoked by sense perception.
5. Pathology.  the return of an attack of a periodic disease or of a paroxysm before the expected time or at progressively shorter intervals.

******************************
                Jeff did his best to suppress a snicker at his classmates flustered face.  The poor guy thought it would be a good idea to enter into a debate with the one person who it was quite simply impossible to beat in one.
                His English Lit class was having a discussion on the book they were currently reading, and as usually happened, what started as a discussion for the entire class soon became a debate between two students.
                One of them was a guy named Henry.  He was considered one of the smarter students and his voice was one of those that were heard frequently in such classroom discussions, and he was usually very difficult to argue with.  Most students felt that the only way to beat him in an argument was to know what he was going to say before he said it.
                The thing was, this time his opponent actually did know what he was going to say beforehand.  Being an Oracle, his opponent, Violet, really did know every word Henry was going to say.  It was likely that she knew before class had even started.
                “Yes, but on page 175, we can clearly see that the protagonist regrets his decision.”  Henry said, grasping at any straw he still could.
                “Yes, but two pages later, he goes back on that sentiment, in favor of thinking he didn’t go deep enough into the abyss.”  Violet said, “Furthermore, when asked to enter once again to see the consequences of his first visit, he doesn’t hesitate a bit.  This shows how he has accepted his darkness, and wishes to explore it more, foregoing any problems this may cause in the future.”  She smiled, knowing that her words effectively put an end to Henry’s argument.  At least for the time being.  Henry for his part, stuttered and riffled through the book, trying to find something to counter her argument.  Jeff knew that he wouldn’t, but it was very entertaining to watch him try. 
                “Well then class, it looks like time is up for now.”  The professor said, cutting into Henry’s furious attempt to keep going.  “We can continue this discussion next time.  You all have your assignments, so I’ll see you all next class.”  He said, eyeing both Henry and Violet as the other students started shuffling out of the room.  Jeff waited outside the room for Violet and started walking next to her once she left.
                “That was mean.”  Jeff said once they were a bit further away from the still dispersing class, “Funny as hell, but mean.”
                “I know.  That’s one of the reasons I did it.”  She said, smiling mischievously.  “Besides, it’ll help him in the long run.” 
                “Dare I ask?”  Jeff asked, mildly curious about what she had seen in Henry’s future.
                “Let’s just say a bit of humility will be a good thing for him to have in the next few days.” She said.
                “Guess I’ll just have to wait and see like the rest of us normally sighted people, huh?” 
                “Yup.” 
                Jeff had gotten used to Violet not telling him very much of what she saw.  She said telling people too much made things too confusing for her, but never really elaborated much on what that meant.  He figured it had something to do with changing the way she saw things, but he could only speculate on that one.
                “Ah,” Violet said suddenly, coming to a complete stop, “We’re about to have some company.” 
                “What kind of company exactly?”
                “Nothing bad, just very interesting.  Until then, we can keep moving.”  She said, and promptly started walking again.  Jeff had no idea why she even bothered stopping, but she probably had some reason.
                Not a moment later, a short, thin girl stepped into their path and simply stood there, looking intently at them, Violet in particular.  She was a plain looking girl without any real eye-catching features, and yet Jeff swore she looked familiar. 
                “Can we help you?”  Jeff asked, wracking his brain to figure out where he had seen her from. 
                “You can’t, but she can.”  The girl said, pointing at Violet.
                “Ok, what’s up?”  Violet asked.
                “I want to know how you did that.”
                “Did what?”
                “In class today.  I don’t think anyone else noticed, but I did.  It was like you knew what Henry’s argument was, and how to counter it.  I think most people just thought it was good planning, but I think it’s something else.”  The girl said.  And suddenly it clicked for Jeff.  It was one of the other students from his English Lit class.  She was one of those students who sit in the back of the room and keep quiet.  After a bit of thought he even recalled that her name was Carol.
                “Oh that.  Well, there’s nothing wrong with thinking fast, is there?”  Violet asked, completely confident in her words.
                “Sure, but it’s more than that.  I’ve been watching you for awhile—“
                “Wait, you’ve been spying on her?”  Jeff asked.
                “Not spying, watching.”  Carol  said defensively, “Anyway, I’ve noticed that you don’t really watch where you’re going, yet you never bump into anyone or trip over anything, even when you’re eyes are closed.  There’s a bunch of other things I’ve noticed as well.  I want to know why.”  She said, crossing her arms.  Violet seemed like she was thinking about something.
                “Hm, ok, I’ll tell you.”  Violet said simply. 
                “You will?”  Both Jeff and Carol said, almost at the same time.  Carol smiled, acting like she had won a prize.  Jeff was more concerned about someone else learning Violet’s secret. 
                “Yup.  It’s simple really.  I can see the through time like you see through space.”
                “Huh?”  Carol asked, looking confused.
                “She can see the future.” Jeff said, holding his head in his hand.
                “Pretty much.  Anyway, I don’t look where I’m going because I don’t need to.  My eyes are pretty much ornamental anyway.”
                “So, you’re blind then?” Carol asked, looking into Violets bright purple eyes.
                “No, I’m not blind.  I just see differently than you.”
                “Ok, prove it then.  I’m going to hold up a few fingers.  Tell me how many I’ll hold up.”
                “Two.  Now three.  Five now.  Seven.  Three again.  Can we stop?  This is giving me a headache.”  Violet said.  Carol looked stunned.  She obviously had no idea what to think about this. 
                “Wow.”  She said simply.  “So, how does this work then?  Are you always looking at what’s going to happen?  How do you interact with the world when you’re a few steps ahead of it?”
                “Well, to answer two of those, no, I’m not always looking at the future.  I can see through time.  That means I can look at the past and present just as easily as the future.  For me, looking at the future is like you both looking straight ahead, that’s why I prefer that.  Looking at the past is like trying to walk forwards while looking behind you, and looking at the present is like only looking at your feet.  As for how I interact with people, I usually just limit my sight to a second or so in front of me unless I have a reason to look further.  I also tend to examine my day beforehand to help me know when I really need to look ahead.”
                “Ok, so are you limited in how far ahead you can see?  And can you see the futures of other people?”
                “Of course I’m limited.  Just like with your sight, mine has a range.  For me, it’s about five years.  And I can see other people’s future as long as they’re next to me.  I can see what’s going to happen to you right now, but once we part ways, I won’t.”
                “Does that matter?  I mean you can see it now, right?”
                “I’m sure you’ve heard that the future isn’t set in stone, right?  Well, that’s true.  Even if I see something happening, it may not happen.  Telling people tends to change things because they react to what I tell them.  It’s why I don’t tell people very much.  Looking at rapidly changing futures is like you looking at rapidly changing pictures.  I can do it, but it gives me a headache.” 
                Jeff was shocked by what he was hearing.  She hadn’t even told him any of that.  He had to wonder why she was telling Carol so much, but he would find out sooner or later.  He would have to ask her later though.
                “Now then, I hate to cut our conversation short,” Violet said, “But Jeff and I have someplace to be, and you should be at the library in about fifteen minutes.”
                “Why?”  Carol asked.
                “Just, trust me on that.”  She said with a wink.  Without saying another word, she simply walked off, leaving Jeff to hurry behind her, and Carol to really wander about what she had just heard.
*****************************
*Sigh* It's times like these that I wish I had given myself a bit more wiggle room with the word count.  Oh well.  Also, it's kinda funny how there are some characters I want to use again but never do, and some I don't plan on revisiting yet do.  This is obviously the latter.  I'm not sure I'll even use these guys again, but who knows.  If the word has something to do with some kind of foresight, I might just break these guys out again.  Or not, you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment