Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Word: dilly





dilly

\ DIL-ee \  , noun;
1. Informal.  something or someone regarded as remarkable, unusual, etc.: a dilly of a movie.

********************************
The small group gathered around to watch in amazement as Jeremy worked.  His hands flew with lightning speed and almost mechanical precision as they flew over the two keyboards.  His eyes darted from one glowing monitor to the other and back again so fast that those watching wondered whether he really saw anything at all. 
                “How they hell does he do it?”  One of them whispered, hoping the sound wouldn’t break the programmers concentration.
                “No idea, but it’s sure something to watch.”  Whispered another. 
                “It’s suspicious is what it is.”  Mary muttered to herself.  She was new in the small software company, and was seeing their star programmer working for the first time.  She had to admit she was impressed, but there was something that didn’t sit quite right with her.  The guy was writing two completely different programs at once, and doing it both faster and better than anyone else could manage with one.  Very large red flags were being hoisted in her mind as she watched.
                After nearly an hour of nonstop typing, Jeremy finished the days work, and pushed himself away from the desk.  He cracked his knuckles with a smug grin on his face as he turned to face the crowd.  The people gathered waited for him to speak with baited breath, as if his next words would be the most important things they would ever hear.
                “What’s everyone looking at?”  He asked as if he had just become aware of them, “Is there something on my face?”  He made a show of picking at some imaginary piece of something stuck in his teeth.  “No?  Alright then, I guess the shows over, eh?  ‘Sides, don’t you all have stuff to do?”  He asked.  And just like that, everyone seemed to be suddenly reminded of the fact that they had their own assignments to take care of.  The crowd dispersed as the people chatted with each other, making their way back to their respective work stations.  Mary was the only one that didn’t.
                “Something you want?”  Jeremy asked when he saw she wasn’t moving.
                “How’d you do that?” She asked bluntly.
                “What?”
                “You know what I mean.  The programs.  How’d you write two at once like that?”
                “Oh, that.  Sorry honey, but a magician never reveals his secrets.”
                “Yeah, but you’re no magician, so spill.”
                “Oh but I am.  These fingers of mine?  They work magic.”  He held up his hands and wiggled his fingers in the air.
                “Really?”  She said skeptically. 
                “Yup.  You saw me work.  How could you think otherwise?”  He was obviously very proud of himself, but Mary was determined to find out his secret.
                “I saw something.  I just want to know what it was.”
                “Sorry, but no can do.  Well, maybe there is one thing…”  He said, looking her up and down. 
                “What’s that?”
                “Let me take you out to dinner some time, and I might consider telling you.”
                “Eh, sorry, but I have a boyfriend already.”  She didn’t, but he wasn’t really her type, and frankly, he seemed like a big jerk.
                “Too bad.  Well, in that case, sorry, but nothing doing.”  He turned to walk away.  Mary grumbled to herself.  She just had to know why he was able to do something so remarkable.
                “Alright, fine.”  She said, “One date.  And only one.”
                “Now that’s more like it.”  He said, moving in closer to her. 
                “Yeah, yeah.  Now, you have to tell me how you did that.”
                “Technically no.  We haven’t gone on the date yet, and I didn’t say I would, I just said I’d consider it.”
                “What?”  Mary exclaimed, maybe a bit too loud.  “B-but that’s…”
                “Hey, I didn’t say I wouldn’t tell.  In fact, I’m feeling generous, so I think I will.  But you do have to swear not to blab about it.”
                “I can keep a secret.”  She said with perfect sincerity.  Jeremy looked at her for a second, eyeing her up.
                “Alright then, come on.  We should go somewhere where we’re less likely to be overheard.”  He was already leaving even as he spoke.  Mary had no choice but to follow him.  They ended up in a supply closet.  Jeremy was very certain to make sure nobody was listening through the door before he started.
                “Ok, you wanted to know how I can program the way I can?  Well, it’s simple.  Computers talk to me.”  He said with a matter-of-fact tone to his voice.  Mary was unable to think of what that could mean.
                “Huh?”  She asked.
                “I mean it.  They talk to me.”
                “Yeah, ok.  They talk to me too.  It’s called a speaker.”
                “Sure, but the thing is, I can talk back.  And not with a microphone either.  I mean with nothing but my brain.”  He acted like what he was saying was the most normal thing in the world.  Mary just thought he was either crazy or joking with her.  She hoped it was the latter. 
                “So, what?  You’re psychic?”
                “Yup.  Technopathic to be precise.  I can talk with computers as easily as I am with you now.  Well no, that’s not right.  For me, it’s even easier to talk with computers, since I can just think it.”
                “This is a joke, right?” Mary said.
                “Nope.”
“Oh.  In that case, you’re nuts.”
“No to that too.  I’m being serious.  Hell, when I was programming earlier, I was just hitting keys at random.  The real work was all going on up here.”  He said, tapping his forehead.
“You do know how insane that sounds, right?”
“Hey, you asked.  I’m simply telling you what you wanted to know.”
“I see.  Well, in that case, you wouldn’t mind proving it, would you?”
“No sweat.  You got a phone?”
Mary took out her brand new cell phone.  Jeremy looked directly at it.  All of a sudden, the screen lit up, even though she hadn’t touched it.  She watched, completely dumbfounded as the password was typed in and the notepad app started itself.  A new note was opened and the words “told you,” appeared on the screen.  Mary tried to get a different app working, but the phone was suddenly unresponsive to her touch.
“How’s that for proof?”  Jeremy asked with a smug grin on his face.  “Oh, and you should probably stop charging it so often.  It doesn’t like that too much.  Plugging it in when it’s about to die is better.”
“How did  you know about that?”  She asked.  She had the habit of plugging her phone in every night, whether it needed the charge or not.
“It told me. “
“S-so you really can talk with computers then?”  She asked.  Her words very nearly got caught in her throat.
“Yup.  Comes in handy, especially these days, when just about everything is computerized.”
“I bet.”  She said weakly.  The implications of someone who could talk to computers like that was staggering.  There was so much he could do without any kind of repercussion, it was a little scary.  “And you’re not like, some kind of robot, are you?”
“Nope.  100% flesh and blood human.”
“But why use this power for programming?  Why not something else?”
“You mean like instant fame and fortune or something?”  He asked.  Mary nodded.  “Meh, I don’t care about that kind of thing.  This is much more fun for me anyway.  Well, I do mess with some stuff, but not too much.”
“So the only reason you haven’t made yourself a multi-millionaire is pure apathy?”
“More or less.” 
“Oh.”  Mary was hardly reassured.  She had to wonder if making programs was really the only thing he used his power for. 
“Anything else you wanted to know?”  He asked. 
“No, not really.”  Her mind was racing with too many questions to ask.  If she actually asked them, they would have been in that closet for the rest of the day. 
“Right.”  He said.  He stretched it out quite a bit, clearly not believing her.  “Well, in that case, let’s get out of here before people start spreading rumors.”
“Yeah, ok.”  Her voice was still weak, as it was bogged down by her thoughts.  Jeremy opened the door and held it open for her.  She left the closet, moving on autopilot. 
“Oh, one question.”  He asked before she could get too far away.  She stopped at looked at him, but said nothing.  “I’ll pick you up Friday at eight.”  He said, and walked away towards his workstation, leaving Mary to her thoughts as she shambled back to hers.
********************************
11000101110001010100111001000011101001... What, you mean you can't read binary?  Oh well.  

1 comment: