Thursday, October 17, 2013

Word: blowzy



 

blowzy

\ BLOU-zee \  , adjective;
1. having a coarse, ruddy complexion.
2. disheveled in appearance; unkempt.

****************************
The bar was just about empty, but that wasn’t much of a surprise, given the time of day.  It wasn’t even three yet, so the only people there were the late lunch people that cared more for the food instead of the beer.  And even then, there were only two of them.
               The door opened slowly and a man shuffled in, the hot, dusty air billowing in after him as the door slowly closed.  The bartender wouldn’t have given him another look if he had sat at a table.  But, since the man chose to plant himself at the bar, he didn’t have much choice.  The man’s skin was red and blistered. His hair was matted and covered with dirt and sand.  His clothes were torn and ragged.  This was a man who had seen better days.
               “What can I get you?”  The bartender asked.
               “Water.”  The man said.  His voice was hoarse and cracked.
               Once he had the glass in his hands the man looked like he wanted to down it all in one gulp.  Instead, he let it trickle past his dry, cracked lips and down his throat.  As soon as he was finished he asked for another glass.
               “Geeze man, you look like you just came out of the desert.”  Said one of the other customers jovially.  He was a large man that like to make friends, or at least to pretend to.  The bartender flashed him and angry look.
               “That’s because I did.”  The man said bluntly between sips of water.  Suddenly, all eyes were on him.
               “Wait, really?  You know I was only joking, right?”  Said the customer.
               “I wasn’t.”  Said the man.
               “What were you doing in the desert?”  Asked the other customer.  This one was an older woman who liked to listen to stories.  The man didn’t respond right away.  He waited to finish his water first.  The bartender filled it while the man started to speak.
               “I’m an ecologist that specializes in desert environments.  I came out here to do my job.  I had everything I needed too.”
               “So what happened?”  Asked the woman.
               “Well, you remember that big sandstorm two weeks or so?”
               “Jesus Christ, you were in that beast?”  The first customer said, more than a little surprised.  That sandstorm had been the biggest in recent memory, so it was no wonder he was surprised.  The man nodded even as he drank another glass.
               “Dear lord man, how are you still alive?”
               “I told you.  I came prepared.  I drove into the desert in a custom Jeep.  Real nice piece of work, it was.  Handled like a dream, even on sand.  Kept me cool in the day and warm at night.  And, as I found out during that storm, great protection against sandstorms.  Not perfect, but it kept me alive.”
               “Wow.  So you just stayed in your car the entire time?”  Said the woman. 
               “Yeah.  Problem was, my car was unusable afterwards.  Hell, it took me a full day just to get out of the thing, there was so much sand blocking the doors.  I couldn’t drive, so I had to walk.  I gathered up a compass, a blanket, and all the food and water I could and set out.”
               “Why a blanket?”  Asked the first customer.
               “Shade in the day, warmth at night, and reasonable protection from the wind.  Didn’t work out as well as I’d hoped, since I lost it four days in.”
               “And you still managed to make it out with so few supplies?”  Asked the second.
               “Mostly.  I mean, I did run out a week or so in.  But I know a few things about deserts.  I know a few tricks that helped me survive there long enough to make it here.”
               “Wow.  That’s something else, man.”  Said the first customer.  “What are you gonna do now though?”
               “Now?  Now I’m going to get some more water, something eat, and then make some calls.”
               “Got some people to call to come get you then?”
               “Yeah.  That, and there’s some people who are going to be very interested in what I’ve seen.”
               “How come?”
               “There aren’t too many people who’ve been in the middle of a large sandstorm and lived.  I know more than a few people who’d be interested in seeing it too.”  He said, pulling out a small SD card in a clear plastic case from his pocket.  The man held onto it like it was made of gold for a bit before speaking.  “Now then, about that meal.”    
*************************
If you're even in the desert for whatever reason, make sure you take precautions.  You never know what can happen in a place like that.

1 comment:

  1. What happens next? you left me hungry for more!

    ReplyDelete