Monday, March 24, 2014

Word: Fussbudget



 

fussbudget

\ FUHS-buhj-it \  , noun;
1. a fussy or needlessly fault-finding person.

*********************************************
Eva furiously scrambled around the room, looking at every single minute detail on every single table.  She eyed the decor with an eye that combined a military drill sergeant and a ferret scrambling around a room. 
               “Would you calm down already?  Everything’s fine.”  Peter said as he watched he fiance check the room yet again.
               “No no, everything’s not fine.  I can feel it.”  Eva said.  Her panic colored her words as she examined the placement of another center piece, making sure it was in the exact center of the large, round table.
               “Yes, it is.  How many times have you been through the room?  Five?  Ten?  Trust me, if you haven’t found anything wrong yet, you’re probably not going to this time either.”
               “There’s something I missed.  I know it, I can feel it and…What’s this?”  She said, going over to another table.  She examined the centerpiece like a detective pouring over an obscure piece of evidence.  “Ah ah, see?  See, I knew it.  I just knew there was something wrong.”
               Peter rolled his eyes and joined Eva at the table.  He looked at the elaborate bouquet with a somewhat less critical eye than she was.  He found nothing wanting with it.
               “It’s exactly like every other one here.”
               “No no, no it’s not.  There’s one flower missing.”  She said.  She furiously pointed to a cluster of small, white flowers on the side of the arrangement.  Peter looked alternately at Eva and the flowers, then let out a sigh.
               “So what if there is?  It’s not like anyone else will notice.”
               “I’ll notice.”  She said, looking at Peter with a worried expression.
               “No, you won’t.  Trust me.  Once things get underway, you’ll forget all about the flower.  Besides, how do you even know there’s one missing?  It’s not like you’ve counted every single flower in every single centerpiece.  I bet they all have different numbers anyway.  Maybe if it was a rose or a lily or something big, but not one of the little ones.”  He placed a hand reassuringly on her shoulder and gently guided her away from the tables. 
               “No, no, I’m sure someone will notice.  I don’t know who, but someone will.”
               “Honey, honey, calm down a bit.  You’re turning into one of those women on TV.”
               “What?”  She asked.  Her expression changed instantly from one of worry to one of confusion.
               “It’s a show some of the ladies at the office watch.  It’s called, um, well I don’t remember what it’s called.  But it’s about these women who go crazy about their weddings.  I sometimes see a few minutes of it in the break room and usually get a good laugh out of it. But now you’re one of them.”
               “No I’m not.”  She said defensively. 
               “I could call up the TV station right now, and you’d fit right in.  I bet if we recreated some of the planning process you could even get on it.  Well, I mean, we’d have to fake a lot more shouting and stuff, but still.”
               Eva paused for a moment before responding.  Peter could practically hear her thought process as she went through not just the day’s events, but everything else involved as well.
               “Oh.  Oh wow.  You’re right.  You are absolutely right.”  She said.  Eva slumped down in the nearest chair.  “I don’t believe it, but I’ve gone crazy over this.  I mean seriously, what was I thinking?  I’m over here fussing over a missing flower.”
               “Hey, it could’ve been worse.”  Peter said as he sat down next to her.
               “How?”
               “You could’ve gotten out a measuring tape.  That would’ve been bad.”  He said.  Eva tried to suppress a chuckle, but didn’t quite succeed.  “Maybe you could’ve also gotten out one of those light measuring things from the photographers and made sure all the lighting was exact.” 
               “Ok, ok I get it.”  She said.  “Still, you can’t blame me for wanting everything to be perfect, can you?”
               “No, I suppose not.  It is something that only happens once, right?”
               “Yeah.”  She said wistfully.  “We hope.”
               Peter’s head darted over to look at Eva.  Those two words suddenly sent him into panic mode.  That is, until he saw the wry grin on her face.  He smiled and sat back in the chair.
               “We hope.”
***************************************************************
Not sure what to say about this one really.  Wait, I think...oh, nope, I lost it, sorry.  Oh well, maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment