Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Word: happenstance




 

happenstance

\ HAP-uhn-stans \  , noun;
1. a chance happening or event.

***************************************
Ben craned his neck in an attempt to look at the huge man’s face.  All he got was the general vicinity.  He gulped and tried to look more confident than he felt.  He could tell it wasn’t working.
                “Yeah?  What d’ya want?”  The large man asked from inside the doorway.
                “Uh, I, uh, I found this jacket and, well, you know.  Just, uh, returning it?”  Ben stuttered out.  He held up the dirty blue jacket for the big man to see.
                The large man took one look at the jacket and grabbed Ben, pulling him roughly into the small building.
                “Where’d you get that?”  The large man growled.
                “I-I, uh, I found it.  I-it was in a bush I was passing by, and I picked it up.”
                The large man didn’t answer.  He pulled Ben painfully into the place.  Ben was very nearly dragged through a short hall into a room with several men that were almost as big as Ben’s captor.  The only one who wasn’t terrifying was a thin older man sitting in the middle of the thugs.
                “Boss, we got a problem.”  The big man said.  He grabbed the jacket out of Ben’s hand and tossed it at the older man’s feet.
                “I see.  And I take this fellow here is the one who brought this to us?”
                “I-I was just, you know, returning it.”  Ben said.
                “And how did you come into possession of this jacket?”  The old man stood and approached Ben, stopping when their faces were far too close for Ben’s liking.
                “I-I just found it.  It’s pure coincidence.  See, I was jogging and I happened to look over at the bush it was in.  I picked it up and was just going to give it to the Salvation Army or something.  But then I felt the things in the pockets and looked through it.  The driver’s license in the wallet in it led me here.  I didn’t take anything though.”
                “Really?  You do not look like the sort of person who jogs.”  The old man said, pointing at Ben’s somewhat soft stomach.
                “T-that’s because I just started.  I only started a week ago in fact.”
                “And why is that?”
                “Same reason a guy does anything.  There’s a really pretty girl that I’ve seen jogging, and well, I figure, you know, may as well try.”  Ben replied.  The old man smiled a little and Ben just hoped that was a good thing.
                “Ah the hopes of romance.  I know it well.  Very well, you do not appear to be lying. Let our…guest go Hector.”  At the old man’s command, the large one let Ben go.  “Now then, have a seat.”  He motioned to a nearby chair before returning to the one he had previously occupied.  Ben felt the stares of everyone else in the room as he sat.
                “Now then, to start, by what name may I call you?”
                “Uh, Ben.”
                “Very well Ben.  You may call me Don.”
                “Uh, would, uh, would that be the name or the title?”  Ben asked, nervously looking at the large men in the room.  Don burst out laughing at the question.
                “What a question.”  Don said once he stopped laughing.  “You have a good head on you Ben.  I think you and I are going to get along just fine.  Now then, you say you stumbled upon this jacket by chance?”  He asked, pointing at the jacket Hector still held.
                “Y-yes, sir.”
                “Well then, I do believe we can make this work for us.  A bit of happenstance can lead to great things, you know.”
                “Uh, yes, I do?”
                “Excellent, excellent.  Now, as it so happens, that particular article of clothing was left there by one of my employees.  It was a signal to an acquaintance that I have a job for him.  However, now that reflect on my choice, this may not have been the best course of action.  You see, a man in my position tends to acquire enemies.  And those I frequently employ become known to these enemies.  You, however, are a new face.  An unknown person who just happened to be there.  I can use a man like you.  You can get close to these enemies and do the job I want done without any suspicion.  Now, as you are an outsider, I cannot force you to do this for me.  However, should be willing to help, I will be in your debt.  And I assure you, I am a man who pays my debts.  So, what is your answer?”
                Ben gulped and looked around the room.  Several of the large men were reaching into the blazer jackets each of them wore.  He didn’t have to think hard about what they were reaching for.  Whoever this Don person was, he was not someone to go against.
                “S-sure.  I-I think I can do that.”
                “Wonderful, wonderful.  Now, before I tell you what the job is, I must ask:  Have you ever used a gun?”
                Ben walked out of the room an hour later with a handgun and several clips of ammo hidden under his shirt and in his pockets.  His hands were sweaty and his heart was racing. Don had made it very clear that the job he had to do would probably involve him use the firearm, and probably much sooner than he’d like.  He took a deep breath and made his way to the park.  He was never so glad that the girl he had set his sights on had just recently become a police officer.
                *********************************
What do you think?  A new continuing story I can do?  Maybe, maybe not.  As always, it depends entirely on the words I use.   

No comments:

Post a Comment