Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Word:mellifluous





mellifluous

adjective
1. sweetly or smoothly flowing; sweet-sounding:
a mellifluous voice; mellifluous tones.
2. flowing with honey; sweetened with or as if with honey.

***************************************
Nikkei let the thick, sweet honey slide down her throat.  She licked her lips, savoring the smooth, thick syrup. 
                “So, how is it?”  Danny asked.  He was leaning forward in his seat hopefully.
                “It’s really good.  Complex.  Where’d you get it?”  Nikkei replied. 
                “Right outside.”
                “Wait, what?  What do you mean outside?  Like, an outdoor farmers market or something?”
                “Nope, I mean right outside in my back yard.”
                “Huh?  How’d you manage that?”
                “Easy.”  Danny puffed his chest out proudly as he spoke.  “I read up on beekeeping online, and I built a few beehives out back.  I got a smoker of bee hives, found a few wild hives, and moved them to mine.  Then I planted a bunch of different kinds of flowers and other plants.  I’ve got fruit, veggies, flowers, and a bunch of other stuff back there.  The bees seem to like it, and I get some pretty good honey out of it.  I mean, yeah, I have three small hives right now, so I don’t get a lot of honey yet, but there’ll be more later.”
                “Wow, seriously?  Isn’t that kind of problematic?  I mean, to have all those bees around…”
                “Actually no, not really.  They’re honey bees, so they’re pretty docile.  As long as I don’t bother them while they’re out doing their thing it’s fine.  And I’ve been pretty careful when I’m collecting as well.  I haven’t been stung once.”
                “Do you have a bee suit or something?”
                “Not yet, no.  I just wear heavy clothes and a mask and stuff, and it seems to work.”
                “Well, if you say so.”  She said.  She was clearly not as sure about the whole thing as Danny was, but she let it slide.
                “So, what’re you going to do with the honey?  With only three hives you won’t have enough to sell or anything.”
                “Well, for now I’m just going to use it for myself.  You know, use it to make honey stuff and as a sweetener and stuff.  But I’m also trying something that I think is pretty cool.”
                “What is it?”  Nikkei asked, somewhat hesitantly.
                “Well, first I’m going to let the honey crystallize, then I’m going to break it up and grind it into a powder.  Then I’m going to put it into little pouches.  You know, the kind they use for coffee sweeteners.”
                Nikkei mulled the idea over for a few moments.  Having powdered honey as a sweetener was unusual, to say the least.  But  she couldn’t exactly deny that it could work.
                “That…that actually sounds like a good idea.”  She admitted. 
                “I know, right.  Plus, since it’s pretty much homemade, I can use that as an extra selling point.  Guaranteed organic and all that.”
                “Wow.  You’ve really thought this through, haven’t you?”
                “You know it.  And since it’s a sweetener pouch, I can make a lot of them, even with so few hives.”
                “So, how are you going to keep the honey from sticking in the pouch?”
                “I’ve actually tested it, and the honey only gets sticky if it’s stored in a really hot, moist place.  Otherwise it’s fine.
                “Sounds good.  What about the packaging?”
                “I’m pretty sure you can get that stuff online or something.  I just have to come up with a name.” Danny was quite clearly planned everything out quite well.  Nikkei was actually impressed with how much planning had gone into it all.
                “Ah.  So, do you have any ready?”
                “Of course.  Try it out.”
                He handed her a small container or a yellowish powder, a spoon, and a cup filled with what looked like tea.  Nikkei placed a spoonful of the honey powder in the drink and tasted it.  It was a subtle, but she could taste the honey she had placed in it.  She placed another spoonful into the tea and it was definitely honey sweetened tea.
                “Well, it certainly works.”  She said as she finished off the drink.
                “Awesome.  And the honey itself is good too, right?” Danny asked, just to make sure.
                “Yup.  I think all those plants you have back there gives it a lot of different flavors.  It still carries through when you’ve powdered it also, so it’s all good.”
                “Great.”  Danny said, clearly proud of his efforts.  “Now then, I’ve got some other things I’ve used it for.  You want to try it out?”
                “Sure, that sounds nice.”  
**************************************************
I wonder if something like this actually exists.  If not, I'm surprised it hasn't.  I bet someone tries it at some point in time though.

Also, as a side note, I wasn't really sure how to end this one.  I'm not sure if this was the best way to go about it, but it's all I could think of right now.  Maybe someday it'll get updated, but we'll see what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment