Thursday, October 1, 2015

Word: Espial


espial

[ih-spahy-uh l]

noun
1. the act of spying.
2. the act of keeping watch; observation.

**************************************************************
Joe’s eyes darted around nervously.  He was being watched, he knew it.  He couldn’t find the person watching him, but he knew there was someone.  He had felt it right from the moment he had woken up.  Someone was observing him.  Watching him from somewhere he couldn’t see.  It wasn’t just the normal paranoia bothering him.  This was a much stronger feeling.  The worst [art was, he had no idea why someone was spying on him.
                He wasn’t married, and didn’t have a girlfriend, so there were no jealous women and PIs involved.  He always kept his nose clean at work, so there were no problems there.  There was absolutely no reason for someone to be watching him. 
As he looked around, he began to notice something.  There were three people who kept showing up. It was just out of the corners of his eyes that he noticed them, and it was always for only a second or two, but one of them was always there.  They were the source of his unease.  They were the ones watching him.  He didn’t know if it was just those three, or if there were more he hadn’t seen yet, but he had to find out. 
                He waited until he caught a glimpse of one of the people.  This one was a fairly young man that looked like anyone else.  He wore an average everyday outfit that consisted of a T-shirt and shorts.  The only reason to be suspicious of that particular man was how many times Joe had seen the guy.  Joe did his best to look casual as he fell in line with his observer.  He thought for a moment about how to approach it, but he quickly came to the conclusion that the direct approach was probably best.
                “So, uh, have, uh, have you been following me or something?”  Joe asked.
                “What?  No.  That’s crazy.  Why would you even think that?”  The man replied.
                “Well, it’s just that I’ve seen you a lot today, and you always seem to just be there, no matter where I am.”
                “So?  We’re probably just going in the same direction is all.”
                Once he thought about it like that, it did make sense.  A lot more than some stranger was spying on him at any rate.  But then if that was the case, then there were times when he wasn’t there and someone else was.  If they really were just going to the same places, then the guy would’ve always been there.
                “Right, sorry.  I guess I’m just being paranoid.”  Joe said, not wanting to seem too suspicious.  “So, where are you headed anyway?”
                “Oh, you know, just exploring the city.  I’m just visiting, so just taking in the sights.”
                “Oh.  Well there is quite a bit to see, so I’m sure you’ll find something interesting.”
                “No doubt about that.  I wouldn’t mind a few pointers from a local though.”
                Joe gave the supposed tourist a few places to visit that were far removed from his destination, just in case.  The man thanked him and the two went their separate ways.  As soon as that man left, another one of his tails took his place.  This one was a young woman who was equally generic as the other.  She stayed several feet away from him, blending into the crowd.  Joe couldn’t say anything to this one without looking like a total creep, so he stayed as far away as he could.  That is, until she sped up and approached him.
                “Hello Mr. Sanderson.”  She said.  Somehow Joe wasn’t as surprised that she knew his name as he should have been.  “You surprised us when you ID’d one of our men.  How’d you spot him?”
                “I just kept seeing him is all.  Same with you, and another guy.”
                “Hm.”  She said.  “It looks like we’ve underestimated you.  You’re better than we thought.”
                “Better?  Better at what?”
                “You can stop playing dumb, Mr. Sanderson.  We’ve already figured out you’re little secret.  or at least some of it.”
                “What secret?”
                “Oh you are good.  You want me to say it so you don’t spill anything.  We know you’re a spy.  It’s the only way you could’ve intercepted the information and spotted us.”
                “Wait, what?  I’m not a spy.  And what information are you talking about?”
                “Please don’t play with me.  I’m in no mood for games.”  She said.  Joe felt a small, round object press up against his back.  He very much hoped it wasn’t what he thought it was.  “Now, who do you work for, and how did you get into our server?”
                “Huh?  I-I have no idea what you’re talking about.  I’m a cashier for a game store.  It’s three blocks from here.  In fact, it’s where I’m going now.  And I have no idea what server you’re talking about.”  The round object pressed harder into his back.  A drop of cold sweat dripped down his forehead.
                “Yes, yes, I know your cover.  But I want to know who you really work for.”
                “That is who I really work for.” Joe said.  His heart was pounding a mile a minute. 
                “So am I really to expect that someone accidentally intercepted a highly classified document on an encrypted server that nobody outside out agency knows exists?”
                “I have no idea…wait a minute…” Joe thought for a moment.  “Is this about that weird email I got yesterday?”
                “So you admit that you have it?  Maybe you’re not as good as I thought.”
                “Look, lady, I got a weird email yesterday with a bunch of letters and numbers on it.  I have no idea what it is.  I figured it was just spam, so I deleted it.  I don’t even know who it’s from.”
                “Right.  Of course you don’t.  And I have a bridge to sell you.  Now, unless you want some real problems, you’ll either come with me or tell me what I want to know now.”
                A sudden thought struck Joe.  He knew he shouldn’t laugh, but the sheer absurdity of his idea forced him to.
                “What’s so funny?”  The woman asked.
                “Nothing, nothing.  it’s just…well, this situation is like some over the top spy movie is all.”
                “How so?  Because we’re both spies?”
                “No no.  you’re a spy, I’m not.  See, there’s some movies where the good guy spy group thinks some random person is an enemy for some reason.  So the spy group goes after this normal person, only to have it revealed later that it was the bad guy spy groups that set up the normal guy so they could get away with whatever evil thing they have planned.  Of course, usually the random person somehow ends up saving the day.  I don’t think that’s going to happen here, is it?”
                “Okay, you’re either the best spy in the world, or you’re telling the truth.  Which one is it?”
                “The second one.  Definitely the second one.”
                “I wasn’t asking you.”  She said.  Joe risked looking around.  She was the only one of his tails that he could see.  He could only assume there were others hidden somewhere though.  “Well now, it looks like you might actually be telling the truth.  The people going through your apartment haven’t found anything suspicious.  They even found the email on your computer, and it was deleted, just as you said it was.”
                “Wait, you have people going through my apartment?  That’s not…”  He somehow couldn’t find the will to finish his thought.  “Uh, can, uh, can you at least ask them not to go through my search history?”
                “Oh they already have.”  She said.  Joe felt his face turning red.  “Oh don’t worry, we’ve all seen worse.  From what they’re telling me it’s all pretty normal stuff.”  Somehow that wasn’t a big comfort.  “Anyway, for now it looks like there’s no reason to be concerned about you.  However, if you ever get another email like that again, I’d advice you not to touch it.  If you do, I can’t guarantee your safety.  Oh, and I’m sure you’ve already figured this out, but if you tell anyone that this happened, it won’t matter if you’re not a spy, understand?”
                “Uh huh.”  Joe said.
                “Good.  Now then, with any luck we’ll never see each other again.  Have a nice day Mr. Sanderson.” 
                The woman pushed passed him and quickly disappeared into a nearby building.  Joe looked around him, making sure nobody else would be following him.  He wanted very much to go back to his apartment to check out what had been done to it, but he had to go to work.  It was going to be a real challenge not to tell the others there about what had just happened to him.  After all, not everyone could say that they had met a real spy.
*********************************************************
Usually I'd consider a possible follow up, but with this one I'm not so sure.  Spy stories can be pretty complex, and I'm not sure if I'm up for making one, especially in a format like this one.  But hey, you never know what the future might bring, so we'll see what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment