Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Word: Onomatopeia





onomatopoeia

[on-uh-mat-uh-pee-uh, ‐mah-tuh‐]
noun
1. the formation of a word, as cuckoo, meow, honk, or boom, by imitation of a sound made by or associated with its referent.
2. a word so formed.
3. the use of imitative and naturally suggestive words for rhetorical, dramatic, or poetic effect.

 *********************************
                Liz entered the large studio apartment and wondered if she was in the right place.  The entire place looked completely different.  A large section of the floor had been cleared of furniture, rugs, and everything else that might have been on the floor.  In everything’s place was a set of large white tarps.  One was laying on the ground, and the others had been suspended from either the ceiling, or from some tall metal racks.
                On the tarp was a lot of stuff.  Fruit, both whole and in mashed up pulp, pieces of metal, bits of plastic, crumbled up paper, old electronics, a wide range of toys, bubble wrap, several bells, plastic wrap, and a lot of other things.
                “What…what’s going on in here?” Liz asked.
                A face popped out from behind one of the suspended tarps.  The face was covered with fruit juice and he wore a pair of heavy duty earphones.  The man who’s face it was removed the head gear and looked at Liz.  She repeated the question.
                “Oh this?”  Asked Liz’s boyfriend, Jim.  “This is all sound effects stuff.
                “Sound effects?”
                “Yeah, for the movie I’m working on.”
                “So, what is all this stuff again?”
                “I told you, sound effects.  Computer stuff doesn’t sound right, you know?  So I got all this stuff and I’m experimenting with it.  I see what kind of sound effect I need, and I use all of these things to make it.”
                “That doesn’t sound like a very good idea.  Where’d you get it?”
                “You mean you don’t know?  This is how it’s done.  Or at least how it was done.  The pros used to make sound effects like this all the time.  It was how it was done before they started using computers.  I figure I can bring it back.”
                “You know, there’s probably a reason why the movie industry switched to computers.  It’s a lot less messy.”
                “”Oh, I’ll clean it up, I promise.  Now get changed and come help me.  There are some things I want to try, but I need another set of hands.”
                “I’m not sure—“
                “Come on, it’s fun.  I promise.  When else can you play with play-do and bubble wrap and call it work?”
                “Well, I do like bubble wrap…Okay, fine.  I’ll be right there.”
                Liz went to change out of her work clothes and into more disposable attire.  When she got to Jim’s make shift sound studio, he was watching his home made movie on a computer.  The sound was off, and he looked like he was playing the same scene over and over again.
                “So, what should I do?” She asked.
                “Okay, so in this scene, Paul’s character listening to a storm that’s happening outside. His shelter isn’t very strong either, since he threw it together himself. So I need something that sounds like wind and rain and stuff pounding against a thin metal wall.”
                “Isn’t there something like that on a computer?”
                “I guess.  But this is way more fun, trust me.  Here, hold this.”
                Jim held out a large sheet of thin metal that looked like it had been peeled off a trailer.  He rummaged through his pile of odds and ends  and came out with a wind-up toy with spinning arms and legs.  He wound it up and let it beat against the metal.  The rapid, tinny whump sound was clearly not what he wanted.
                He pulled out many more objects, trying all kinds of combinations, and was never satisfied with the sound it produced.  He asked her to try waving the metal around a little bit.  While she did so, he pulled out a bunch of plastic wrap and crinkled it up.  He took a piece in each hand and rubbed them together.  Then he had he wave the metal around slower, then faster.  He adjusted the speed both of them handled their respective props until he was satisfied. 
                He hit a button on the computer to start the recording process.  Then he placed it back.  It did indeed sound like rain hitting a thin metal wall.  
                “Okay, yeah, not too bad.” Liz admitted.  “So, we do this for every sound effect in the movie?”
                “Yup.  Don’t worry; I’ve already done a bunch.  Everything I could do on my own, I already did.  I just need your help for the more complex sounds.  Like this one.  Someone has to walk through mud, but it’s really sticky mud.  You know, the kind that really sticks to your feet.  I’ll need you to get some water.  I’ll get the play-do out.  Pour some water on it, then we’ll walk through it.”
                That did sound oddly compelling.  When she got back, Jim had two large pots filled with the child’s toy.  Liz poured water and helped him mix it up.  She stepped in one and he in another.  Then they started walking in place.  The squishy squeltching noise was oddly amusing, and Liz had a hard time keeping herself from laughing. 
                “Okay, I think that’s a good one.”  Jim said.  He played back the resulting sound and was immediately satisfied with it.
                Liz watched Jim furiously searching for the next sound effect to make.  While she watched him working, she couldn’t help start to laugh.  She understood the appeal of not using a computer to do some things. 
*******************************************
This is actually how old movie sound designers worked.  Really, look it up.  Before everything was recorded on computers, people had to come up with some pretty interesting things.  I mean, they still do, but it's just done much differently.  

No comments:

Post a Comment