Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Word: Sockeroo





sockeroo

[sok-uh-roo]
noun, plural sockeroos. Slang.
1.
a notable success:
Her performance was a sockeroo.

 ***********************************
                Okay, that hurt.  Damn it, I can’t believe I got tripped.  And the guy’s still running.  Didn’t they catch that?  Whatever.  I’ll just beat him anyway.  Oh wow, my leg hurts like crazy.  What’re all these people doing here?  Why’re the paramedics around?  Sure my leg hurts.  And my arm.  And pretty much everything else.  But still, why should that matter?  I can still run.  I just have to walk it off for a bit.  I can do that on the track. 
                Walk it off.  Walk it off.  Pain is your friend.  It lets you know you’re alive.  Walk it off.  Okay, now run it off.  Here I go!  See?  I can do this.  Sure my leg hurts like hell, that doesn’t matter.  It’s not slowing me down at all.  Well, maybe a little bit. 
                Wow, I’m slower than I should be.  Can’t have that, now can I?  Push through it.  Come on leg, work, damn you.  There we go.  It just needed a little push, that’s all.  Wow, this hurts.  As long as I don’t stumble again, I’m fine though.  I’m still the fastest guy in the race. 
                Oh dear god, it hurts!  I’ve never felt anything so painful.  Maybe I should stop?
                No.  No, I can’t.  Oh god my leg’s not working.  Why isn’t it working?  No!  Don’t look at it.  If I look at it, that means whatever it is will win.  I can’t let that happen.  Come on leg, move damn you.  We still have a race to win.    Ah, I hurts so much!  No.  Don’t think like that!  Don’t think about that pain! 
                Run, damn you, run.  Run through the pain.  Pain is nothing.  Pain holds you back.  Move damn it!  Move!  No!  I will not pass out!  I can’t.  If I pass out now, it’ll all go to waste.  I won’t let that happen, damn it. 
                Come on, I can ignore this.  Just because it’s pretty much the worst pain ever means nothing.  Put it out on your mind.  Focus on the track.  Focus on putting one foot in front of the other.  Focus on keeping that leg moving.  Don’t think about the pain.  Don’t think about my vision getting darker.  Neither of those matter.  Pain is a state of mind and I know this track well enough that I don’t need to see it to run it.
                There we go, I passed him.  I passed that dirty cheater that tripped me!  Now I just have to get to the finish line before him and I’m good.  I’m winning this race, no matter what happens.  There it is!  The finish line!  Just a few more steps.  You’ve made it this far leg, don’t quit on me now. 
                There.  I did it!  I won!  And here come those paramedics again.  I don’t see why.  My leg isn’t that bad…wait, is that the bone sticking out?  Okay, I guess that’s pretty bad.  Okay yeah, maybe it’s about time to quit.  I think I’m just gonna pass out now.  
********************************************
Okay kids, remember, if your bone is sticking out of your leg, you probably shouldn't try running on it.  File that under "really bad ideas" and keep it there.  Seriously, just don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment