Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Word: Katzenjammer





katzenjammer

/ˈkæt sənˌdʒæm ər/
noun
1. the discomfort and illness experienced as the aftereffects of excessive drinking; hangover.
2. uneasiness; anguish; distress.
3. uproar; clamor:
His speech produced a public katzenjammer.

 *************************************
               Brad groaned as consciousness slowly crept up on him.  He felt like someone had used his throat as a distillery while another using his skull as a drum set.  There was a heavy booming noise to his right, but he dare not see what was causing the tiny explosions.  He knew the moment he did, his eyes would be hit by spears of light.
                He slowly attempted to move.  That was a mistake.  Whatever surface he was on was hard and unforgiving.  He did not make another attempt.  Instead, he focused on just his arm.  He raised it to nurse his head and shield his eyes.  His arm stopped a few inches off whatever he was laying on.  Not because of his inability to raise said arm, but because something was actively stopping its upward motion.
                Against his own better judgment, he opened his eyes.  The room he was in was dimly lit, so instead of spears, it was more like pointy sticks.  He could deal with that.  He was in a stone room with nothing in it, save the metal slab he was both lying on and shackled to.  The explosions turned out to be water dripping down from the ceiling.  The water had spread out quite a bit, and it seemed like the entire floor was damp.
                Brad had no idea where he was, or how he had gotten there.  He was so worried that he almost forgot his hangover.  Almost, but not quite.  His far too sensitive ears picked up the screeching of metal hinges and the scraping of stone and steel, all coming from behind him.  They were followed by footsteps belonging to what had to have been a giant.
                “Oh good, you’re awake.” Came the booming, but distinctly female, voice.  Brad winced in pain.  “Oh, sorry.  I’ll talk softer.”  She said at a much more human volume.
                She came around to the side of the bed.  She was a pretty, young blond woman.  She looked familiar.  He forced his mind to work, and even though it protested, he remembered her.  The two of them had been talking last night at the bar.  They had appeared to hit it off, and she had invited him back to her place.  He remembered her named started with an “A”.  He wanted to say either Ashley or Amanda.  Something along those lines.
                “Do you remember me?” She asked. 
                “I think so.” Brad said.  He thought for a moment.  “Ashley, right?”
                “Wow, I’m impressed.  With how you were drinking, I didn’t think you’d remember my name.”
                “Oh I get it, I really do.  I normally don’t remember names very well.  I make an exception for the really pretty ladies though.”
                “Oh my, and what a sweet talker.  And here I thought it was the alcohol.”
                “Only partially.  So, uh, think you can maybe let me up?”
                “Oh no, I’m sorry, but that won’t be happening.” Ashley said through a sharp intake of breath.  “That would ruin all my carefully laid plans.”
                “Which are?”
                “Brad, let me ask you a question.  Do you remember high school?  More importantly, how well do you remember those you went to school with?”
                “High school?  Can’t say I remember that very well.  I mean, it’s been, what, twelve years now?  Oh, I do remember I was a huge jerk though.”
                “Well, I’m glad to hear you admit that.  But I was talking about people, specifically.”
                “Oh.  Well, sorry, but I don’t remember too many people.  Like I said, twelve years.  It was a long time.”
                “That’s too bad.”  She said slowly.
                “Although, since you bring it up, I can guess what’s going on.  I was mean to you way back when for one reason or another.  You went through a big change and, instead of just rubbing ‘what could have been’ in my face, you decided for a more…painful revenge.  Do I have that right?”
                “Wow.  I’m impressed.  You got it in one.  I didn’t think you would, since you were never particularly bright back then.”
                “Oh, I’m still not.  I just watch a lot of TV and movies.”
                Brad kept his voice light and cheery, but he was anything but.  In fact, a small pit of unease was slowly building.  It had been building since he first found the cuffs on his wrist, but the fact that she so easily admitted her intention to torture him made it build so much faster.
                “I suppose this is similar to a bunch of slasher flicks, isn’t it?”
                “Pretty much, yeah.  So, you watch those too?”
                “Not really.  I read about them, but never cared to actually watch.  Why?”
                “Well, it’s just that it usually doesn’t end well for the torturer.  Of course, it usually doesn’t end well for the victim, but the torturer usually gets him at the end.  Or, hers in this case.”
                “I’ll have to be careful then, won’t I?”
                “Might help if you let me go.  All fun and games right?”
                “Nice try, but no.  Although, I will give you a chance.  If you remember me and why I’m doing this, I’ll let you go.”
                That was not good.  His high school had a lot of people in it, and at least six of them were named Ashley.  He did not remember being mean enough to any of them to warrant this kind of treatment though.
                “Ah, see, that’s a bit tricky.” Brad admitted.  “Like I said, twelve years does funny things to memory.”
                “That it does.” Ashley said, nodding in agreement.  “I guess that means you don’t remember me specifically, do you?”
                “Not as such no.  I mean, all I really have is your name.  That’s not a lot to go off of, even if I did remember everyone from back then.”
                “Ah.  You are absolutely right.  I guess I am being a bit unreasonable, aren’t I?  Okay then, I’ll just tell you my last name and see what comes up.  My full name is Ashley Rachel Hendricks.”
                Brad thought about the name for a moment. He somehow dredged a vague memory out of his still pounding head.  The pit became a gaping chasm. 
                “Oh crap.” He said.
                “Oh good, you remember, don’t you.” She said happily.
                “A little bit, yeah.  So, does that mean I can go free?” He said.  He felt a drop of sweat run down the side of his head.  “That’s what you said you’d do right?  If I remember you, you’d let me go.”
                “I did say that, didn’t I?  Although, I did have a stipulation about my motives.”
                “It’s because I ignored you for most of the time, and when you asked me out I called you fat?”
                “I remember the exact phrase was something closer to ‘tub of whale blubber’.  I also recall a few shoves.  Down some stairs.”
                The memory came rocketing back.  Sweat beaded on his head and his stomach twisted as he recalled laughing as the then portly teenage girl fell.  Back then, he had reveled in the laughter of those around him, in particular the head cheerleader who had been with him. 
                “Such a shame, but since you did not, in fact, remember the entire story, I won’t be letting you go.” Ashley said.  “Although, since you remembered part of it, I’ll give you a little reprieve.  See, I’m going to do what you did, and ignore you before I hurt you.  But now, I won’t ignore you for quite as long.  Sounds good, right?”
                “Uh…” Brad said.  He was no longer hiding his distress.  “Not really.”
                “Good.  That’s the point.  Oh, and, since you were so kind as to mention it.”  Ashley leaned in close and whispered in his ear, “Look at what you missed out on.”
                She pulled away and stood tall, making sure he saw as much of her as his limited vantage point could see.  Then, without another word, she turned and walked slowly, deliberately, out of his field of view.  He heard the door screeching closed and he was alone.
************************************************
Remember kids, don't be a bully.  It's mean, cruel and unnecessary.  Plus, you never know who might grow up to be a psych killer out for revenge against all their old bullies.  So play it safe, don't be a bully.  Your life might depend on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment