Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Word: Ataraxia


ataraxia

/ˌæt əˈræk si ə/
noun
1. a state of freedom from emotional disturbance and anxiety; tranquillity.

********************************               
                My mind is blank.  Empty.  A still, clear pond.  Oh geeze, my leg’s asleep.
                Whack!
                Damn it!  How does he know?  Seriously, is he some kind of mind reader?  If I do this, will I be able to read minds too?  Oh man how awesome—
                Whack!
                God…dang it, that hurts. 
                “Do you really have to hit me?”
                “Yes.” 
                Seriously?  That’s it?
                “Can I ask why?”
                “It seems you can.”
                I hate it when he does that. 
                “Okay, why do you have to hit me?”
                “Your mind wanders.  I am merely pointing this out.”
                “Does it have to be painful?”
                And now he goes silent.  Of course he does.  Okay, let’s try this again.  No thought.  Complete tranquility.  Free of any emotion and thought…I have to pee.
                Whack!
                “Seriously!  Do you have to hit me that hard?  I mean, wouldn’t a gentle tap be good enough?”
                “No.”
                “But why not?”
                “A gentle tap would be an annoyance.  It would cause your mind to wander more.  Hitting you as I am disrupts your thoughts.  It interrupts you and makes you aware that you are thinking.  That your mind is wandering.  Without this method, you would never achieve your goal.”
                I guess it makes sense.  Kind of. 
                “Okay, fine.  Doesn’t mean I have to like it though.”
                “Of course not.  But the only way to get me to stop is to succeed.  Free your mind of all impurities.  Seek the freedom of empty thought.  The pure tranquility that comes from emptiness.”
                How many times have I heard that?  Must be at least a dozen now.  Well, I’m not going to get anywhere like this. Might as well keep going.  What’s that word that shows up in all the shows and movies?  Oh right, Ohm.  No idea what it means, but hey, it’s a start, right?
                Ohm.  Funny word.  No idea how people can repeat that over and over without—
                Whack!
                “I almost had it!”
                “No, no you did not.”
                “How do you know?  It’s not like you can read my mind.” God I hope he can’t.  Somehow it wouldn’t surprise me if he could though.
                “I do not need to.  It is obvious that your mind is unfocused.  Any novice can tell.”
                “So, what, you’re looking at body language?  Eye movements?”
                “If it will make you feel better, then yes, that is what I am doing.”
                Damn it, he’s not using my body language.  Okay, yeah, that was a stupid thought anyway.  I’m sitting down and not moving much.  And my eyes are closed when I try and do this tranquility thing.  He can’t be using that.  So what is he using?
                   “Do not think about how I know about your wandering mind.  Do not let it bother you.  Let go of such frustrations.  They will only hinder your progress.”
                “You know, maybe if we changed spots for a bit it’d help.  You know, let me see a master at work.”
                “Perhaps it will.  Very well.”
                Hah!  Yes!  Now I get to do the hitting!  Huh.  This thing’s a lot lighter than I thought it’d be.  With how much it hurts, I thought it’d be at least two or three pounds, but I don’t think it’s even one.  What’s it made out of?  Probably bamboo.  They make everything out of that here.  Doesn’t look like bamboo though.  I’ll ask later.  For now, take this!
                Did…did he just?  Yup, he blocked it.  How did he block it?  He can’t see me swing, so how?  Maybe he heard it?  Yeah, he probably heard it.  Let me try and be quiet.  Maybe not a full swing hit, but something smaller.  A nice light poke. 
                He did it again.  How did he do it again?  I didn’t make a sound.  And yet, he stopped it dead.  What’s going on here?
                “Do you see now?  Do you see why inner tranquility and silence of the mind is so important?”
                “Uh, not really, no.  How’d you do that anyway?  I mean, I get the first swing made noise and stuff, but the second one didn’t.  So what’s the deal?”
                “The deal is exactly what I’ve been telling you to do.  My mind was clear and still, and so your movements were visible to my mind, even if my eyes and ears could not detect your actions.”
                “Huh?”
                “You will understand when you have succeeded.  Now, try again.”
                Okay, let’s see what I can do.  Mind is blank.  Peaceful.  Still pond…
                Whack!
                Damn it!
***************************************************
Do you hear the sound of the universe breathing?  What is the sound of one hand clapping?  If a tree falls in the forest, does a bear s*** in the woods?

No comments:

Post a Comment