Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Word: Ovine

ovine

[oh-vahyn, oh-vin]
adjective
1. pertaining to, of the nature of, or like sheep. 
**************************
                “Oh hello there, Mabel.”
                “Good afternoon, Flo.”
                “Did you do something different today?  You look…”
                “Don’t pretend Flo.  You know what happened.”
                “A haircut?”
                “A haircut.  I hate getting my haircut.  I really do.  And I look hideous.”
                “Oh, don’t be like that.  You look fine.  It’s not even that bad.”
                “Yes it is.  It’s horrid, and you know it.  I spent all year growing it out after the last cut, and that horrid barber just goes and gets rid of it all.  He didn’t even listen to what I thought about it all.”
                “He never does, does he?”
                “And what’s worse is that he didn’t even ask if I wanted a haircut.  He just went and started cutting.”
                “Terrible.  Such an inconsiderate fellow.  Why, just yesterday, I saw him saving everything off Rose’s little boy, Ben.”
                “How terrible.  What did the boy say?”
                “He whined while it was happening, but once it was done he just ran around like nothing happened.  You know how the little ones are.”
                “I do indeed.  You know, I’ve always wondered something.”
                “What’s that, Mabel?”
                “Why do you think he does it?”
                “Who, the barber?”
                “Yes.  Every year he goes around cutting every bit of hair off us, without ever asking what we want.  No words, no questions, he just cuts and cuts and cuts until there’s almost nothing left.”
                “Oh, and how he just takes it all away, never to be seen again?”
                “Exactly.  No point at all.”
                “Well, you do have to admit, it is quite a bit cooler without all the hair in the hot months, and that’s when he cuts all the hair off.”
                “I suppose that’s true.  But is that really why?  I mean, he can’t be doing it just to help us keep cool, can he?”
                “Well, can you think of a better reason?  I mean, it’s not like he can use our hair for anything else, right?”
                “That is true.  But it’s still quite rude, you know.  He could at least ask us how much to take off first.”
                “Oh, you know he never talks.  He just makes those strange sounds from time to time.”
                “And that’s another thing.  Why doesn’t he talk?  I’ve tried striking up a conversation with him since I was a little one myself, but he never replies.  In fact, he acts like I don’t even exist until he cuts my hair.  Such a rude person.  The worst, I swear.”
                “Oh, I know.  He pays more attention to those horrid beasts than he does to us.  What’s so great about them anyway? All they do is run around screaming their lungs off and chasing us around.  I can’t even move two steps away from the others without one of those things chasing me around.”
                “I understand perfectly.  Why, just the other day two of them tried to attack me, just because I went looking for a sunnier place to eat.  Can you believe them?”
                “The nerve.”
                “I don’t know who’s worse; the barber or his beasts.”
                “The beasts, definitely the beasts.  The barber at least seems to be okay with wherever we go unless he needs to cut our hair.  Otherwise he just minds his own business.”
                “I suppose that’s true.  He is still quite rude though.”
                “Of course, of course.  Oh, speaking of which, here he comes.  I think it’s my turn for a haircut now.”
**********************************
Be honest, can you tell who these two ladies are?  The word is a big hint.  






Sheep.  They're sheep.  A pair of  ewes to be precise.  You could probably tell, what with the word and all.  But would you be able to figure it out without that hint?  I wonder.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment