Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Word: Bakemeat


bakemeat

or baked meat

[beyk-meet]
noun, Obsolete.
1. pastry; pie.
2. cooked food, especially a meat pie.
*********************************************
“So, what do you think?” Gerald asked hopefully.  He held his hands in front of the digital mock up like some game show presenter.
    “The building looks good, I guess.” Leon answered.  “But why call it Bakemeats?  What does that even mean?”
    “It’s an old word for pie.  I figured it would be appropriate, given the business.”
    “Okay, but why?  I mean, nobody will know what it means.”
    “Exactly!” Gerald exclaimed, pointing at his friend.  “That’s exactly the point.  Everyone will wonder what the name means, that they’ll come into the store to ask.  And while they’re there, they’ll buy something.”
    “I think you’re overestimating people, there, Gerry.  It’s a nice idea, but you could’ve executed it better.”
    “Oh come on, Leon, you know you’ve gone into places just because you were curious about the name.”
    Leon could not argue with that.  He scratched his chin, knowing Gerald was right.  There was power in a business name, especially when that name makes people curious.
    “Okay, fine, I’ll give you that.” Leon continued.  “So, what do you sell anyway?”
    “Isn’t it obvious?  Pies!  All kinds of pies.  Fruit pies, chocolate pies, custard pies, cream pies.  ANd it’s not just dessert pies either.  Meat pies, pot pies, even pizza pies.  If it can be called a pie and is edible, Bakemeats makes and sells it.”
“Huh.  That...that actually sounds kind of good.” Leon said.  He did love him some pie, and had the belly to show for it.  
“I know, right?”
“But I hope you aren’t just going to get the stuff frozen.”
“No way.  If I did that, nobody would buy anything.  It’ll all be hand made in store.  Now, I know I’ll need more people to make the stuff once the store gets going, but for the opening, I should be okay as long as I can get someone to watch the front areas.”
“Good.  And where are you getting the recipes from?”
“All my own inventions.”
Leon was suddenly very nervous.  He had never known Gerald as a skilled chef or baker.
“I know what you’re thinking.” Gerald said.  “And I tell you not to worry.  I’ve done a lot of experiments with all kinds of pies.  All I need is a final taste tester.”
“And I take it that’s me?”
Gerald was already heading towards the kitchen to retrieve the first sample.  He came back with a tray of steaming dinner pies.  A slice of cheese pizza, a mini pot pie, and a mini meat pie all waited for him.
Gerald picked up the meat pie and took a deep breath.  At least it smelled good.  That was more than he thought.  Since the piece was small, he popped it in his mouth and chewed slowly.  He was quite surprised that he actually liked it.
“Wow.  This is a lot better than I thought it would be.”
“Thanks, buddy.”
“Don’t get ahead of yourself.  It’s not perfect, and still needs some improvement if you really want to get repeat customers.”
“I’ll do what I can.  How about you write down some suggestions and I’ll see what I can do.  In the meantime, are you ready for the next one?”
****************************************** 
When it comes to pie, I'm more of a chocolate than a fruit kind of guy.  I've never really had a good dinner pie other than pizza though.  And when I do eat a pot pie or something, it's usually the frozen, over salted, store bought variety.  Not exactly the epitome of the craft, that's for sure.  Maybe one day I'll try a real one and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment