Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Word: Mythoclast

mythoclast

[mith-uh-klast]
noun
1. a destroyer or debunker of myths.
**************************************
    For the first time in what felt like decades, Dr. William Benson was speechless.  There were no words to describe what he was feeling. What he was seeing on the other hand, was quite clear.  It was a humanoid creature roughly three feet in height. It was thin and lanky with four long, spindly fingers.  Its face was shaped like an upside down egg with a small mouth and large, black eyes. It’s skin was stone grey with a few white rings around the eyes, mouth and the small slits that served as a nose.  
    The only thing Dr. Benson could call it was an alien.  An alien that looked almost exactly like the over-used alien image that was so popular in popular culture.  The problem was that such things were impossible. The stuff of urban legends and myths, not something that was real.
    “Hey, Will.” The...creature said.  It’s voice was thin, but not weak. “How’s it going?”
    All Dr. Benson could do was sputter and string together a few incoherent syllables.  
    “That good, eh?”  It said, nodding its too big head.  “I can understand. It’s not every day someone gets to meet a guy with such stellar good looks.” THe alien said, chuckling slightly at its, his, own joke.
    “What...how...what?” Dr. Benson said.
    “Yeah, you’re going to have to give me a bit more than that, buddy.”
    “What...what are you?”
    “Really?  Isn’t it obvious?  I’m an alien. Well, an alien from your POV anyway.  You’d probably call me a Grey, because, well, yeah. Terrible name, by the way. Humanity really needs to get better at naming stuff.  But yeah, if you want to get technical, I’m a Kerinvaxtian. Hm...I guess that doesn’t quite roll off the tongue when said in English, does it?  Okay, I guess Grey will do for now.”
“But...this...this is impossible...you...can’t exist.  I...I’m dreaming, or hallucinating.”
“No, I’m pretty sure I’m real.” the Grey said.
“But...but I’ve spent my life disproving...things like you.  I’ve proven without doubt that you don’t exist.”
“Yeah, I know.  It’s all hilarious, by the way.  I mean it, me and my buds get some real laughs at the stuff you write.  Great stuff.”
“Wh-what?”
“Oh yeah, Phil read the stuff you wrote about him and he couldn’t stop laughing for, like, ten minutes.”
“Phil?”
“You humans call him Bigfoot, or Sasquatch.  He’s not an alien though. 100% Earth born and bred that one.  Nessy’s not though. Comes all the way from Evrivia. Nice place if you like water.”
Dr. Benson felt the sudden urge to sit down.  Everything he had done in his life told him what was happening could not be real.  Aliens, Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster were myths. Legends that he had spent his entire professional life debunking and disproving.
And yet, he was seeing one of those beings that he had so thoroughly disproven was standing there and telling him that his works were comedies among other creatures he had completely disproven.  He felt like his mind was about to shatter.
“Yeah, I know, it’s a lot to take in.” THe Grey said.  “I’ll give you a few minutes to collect yourself and come to terms with everything, but after that we’ve kind of got to get down to business.  TIme’s a wastin and all that.”
“What business?”
“Oh nothing too big.  Just saving all of human civilization as you know it.  You know, nothing serious.” 
**************************
 "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." 
- Bill Watterson
Yeah, I think this sums up a lot of things in the world. Just my personal opinion though.
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. Bill Watterson
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/bill_watterson_105988?src=t_intelligent_life
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. Bill Watterson
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/bill_watterson_105988?src=t_intelligent_life
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. Bill Watterson
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/bill_watterson_105988?src=t_intelligent_life

No comments:

Post a Comment