Thursday, August 15, 2019

Word: Golden




golden

[ gohl-duhn ]

adjective


***************************************************
               Josh stood in front of the clear glass display case.  More specifically, he looked at the knife house inside the case.  It was a fancy, ornate thing.  It was either made of gold, or—more likely—gilded.  The hilt contained three different gem stones, while the double edged blade housed two more.  It was a fancy thing, destined for nothing but a display stand, and was probably duller than the average butter knife.
               Josh wanted it. 
He wanted it badly.  He needed it.  Craved it.  Every fiber of his being desperately cried out for that knife.  It was stupid.  The whole thing was a silly little thing that was probably completely worthless.  And yet, he knew there was nothing he would not do to get his hands on it.  He checked the price tag and his eyes nearly popped out of his head.  $200 for knife that couldn’t be used?  That was ridiculous.  But, at the same time, he could handle it.  It was why he had a part time job, after all.
When he requested the knife from the bored looking man at the counter, the guy just looked at the teenager, shrugged, and retrieved the blade.  A few minutes later, Josh was walking home with the knife contained in box held in a plastic bag.  He made his way home and opened his new prize.
It felt right in his hands.  Like it was made just for him.  Like it belonged there.  And then the voice came.
So, you’re my new master, eh?  I’ve had worse.
The voice rang in his head, causing Josh to jump and let out a startled yelp.  He was glad he was in his room.  If his mom had heard that…or worse, his sister.  He would have had to commit suicide if that had happened.
“Who…what…huh?” Josh said, looking around his room, trying to find the source of the voice.
Confused?  That’s understandable.  Let’s see, first of all, no, you aren’t crazy, nor are you going crazy.  The voice you’re hearing is coming from someone, or in this case, something, else other than your mind.
“Wait…something?  You don’t mean…”  Josh held up the knife and his eyes widened.
Got it right away.  That’s good.  My last master never actually figured it out.  I had to tell him, and even then he didn’t believe me.  He was…special.  But you?  I’ve got a good feeling about you.  Oh we’ll do great things together.
“Oh, uh right.  So…a few questions.  Do you have a name?  And if you do, what is it?      
Not a name, exactly.  Usually my current master just choses something and I go by that.  So call me whatever you want.  I am known to everyone else as the Grand Dagger though.
“Right, of course you are.  So, next question, and this is the big one.  How the hell are you talking?”  Josh nearly screamed his question, and only with immense willpower did he keep his voice manageable.
First, I’m not talking.  Well, not exactly.  I’m sending my thoughts directly into your mind.  Second, magic, obviously.
“Obviously.”
I’m clearly a magic dagger.  Didn’t you notice the magic stones I have?
“You mean the gems?  I thought those were just, like, colored glass or something.”
Colored glass?  Or you serious?  Next you’ll tell me you thought I was made of, ugh, gold or some other useless metal.
“Welllll…”
I’ll have you know I am made of a masterful alloy of orichalcum and mithril.  Alone, those would be contenders for the most powerful metals in the world.  But I am a perfect combination of them, and get the full benefits of both, with none of the normal weaknesses.  I can cut through steel like butter, am nearly unbreakable, and am light as a feather. 
The knife seemed quite pleased with itself.  Josh could almost picture the smug look on any hypothetical face it had.
Plus, I’m just chock full of magic.  It continued.  I have all kinds of powers and abilities.
”Really?  What kind?”
All kinds of things.  I can enhance your physical abilities, create phantom blades, channel elemental power along my blade.  And that’s just the simple stuff.  Once you learn how to do all that, I can tell you about the really good stuff.
Josh liked where this was going.  He liked it a lot. 
“Okay, so how do we start?”   
***************************Did...did I just start a young adult series?  Is that what this is?  Let's see...normal teen, gets a magic weapon, potential for adventure...yup.  I think I just started a YA book series.  Or, I would have if I had any plans of continuing this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment