Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Word: Deipnosophist




deipnosophist

[ dahyp-nos-uh-fist ]

noun

1. a person who is an adept conversationalist at table.

*************************************
               Why?  Why is he talking so much?  Doesn’t he know that dinner time is eating time, not talking time?  I mean, really, who holds a conversation during dinner?  Some light chatting is fine, but a full-blown conversation?  Who does that, really?  And why is everyone else responding to him?
               Don’t encourage him, damn it!  It’ll just make him think he can talk more.  I liked it before he came.  I liked the nice, quiet dinners.  Sure there was some talking, but not like this.  Never like this.  Who brought this guy anyway?  Oh right, Sally.  Damn Sally.  She never had a good taste in guys.  She always picks guys who like to talk.  Ugh, I can’t even imagine dating someone like that.  The kind of person who wants to talk.  Who would subject themselves to someone like that?  Okay, maybe another person who likes to talk.  I can see that being a good match.
               But that’s not us.  We don’t sit around the table talking to each other.  The most we do is ask how your day went.  Maybe some talk about future events, but that’s about it.  But this guy?  This guy’s disrupting that.  He’s turning dinner time into talking time.  Talking is for before and after dinner, not during.  Dessert is fine.  You can have a conversation over dessert.  And appetizers were practically made to eat during a conversation.  Those I can understand.  But the actual dinner?  No way.  That, you sit down and eat.
               What I really want to know now is why nobody seems to think this is weird.  Why are they just yakking away like nothing’s wrong?  Wait.  Wait a minute.  Am…am I the weird one?  Am I the only one who thinks like this?  Does everyone else want to have a conversation during dinner? 
               That can’t be right, can it?  I mean, everyone in this family is like this, right?  We just sit down and eat dinner.  No conversation, no long-winded speeches.  Nothing like what’s happening now.  Could it be that that’s odd?  That how we do things is abnormal, and most people are like that guy? 
               No.  No, that can’t be right.  I would’ve noticed if that was the case, right?  I mean, sure I don’t really hang out with a lot of other people, and maybe I don’t go out very often.  And okay, I admit I’m not the most observant person around, especially when I’m focused on something.  But surely, I would’ve noticed all that conversation going on.  I mean, I probably would have noticed.  Maybe. 
                  Maybe…maybe I should try it?  Maybe I should actually try participating in this conversation.  Would that help?  Would that allow me to see why everyone’s spending as much time talking as they are eating.  Who knows, maybe I’d even enjoy it.  And maybe it could lead to conversation with other people, in other places.  Maybe…maybe Sally’s new boyfriend is just what I need to become more social.  This could be good for me.
               Well, here I go…  
********************************
I know most people talk to each other during dinner.  I know it's a normal thing.  That doesn't mean I feel the need to be an active participant though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment