Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Word: Shenanigan

 

shenanigan

[ shuh-nan-i-guhn ]

noun Informal.

Usually shenanigans.
  1. mischief; prankishness: Halloween shenanigans.
  2. deceit; trickery.
a mischievous or deceitful trick, practice, etc.

*****************************

               The humans left the room, bickering about where one had left this, and other had left that. One of them had ended up blaming gnomes. Of course, the gnomes would never have done such a thing and simple pranks. They were too helpful. The gnomes were more likely to fix a broken appliance than hide something.

               The actual culprits, the fairies, emerged from their hiding places. They flitted around the apartment, checking their handiwork. Some of them removed the hidden objects from their hiding places, returning them to their regular spots. Others looked for new pranks that could be pulled. Just hiding things was getting boring, after all.

               One of the fairies, the largest, surveilled the area. She always had the keenest eye for mischief, so the others usually agreed with her ideas. And she was cooking something wonderful. A prank for the ages. Her thoughts were interrupted by one of the youngest members of the group.

               “Um, hey, boss lady, can we talk?” The little one asked. She wrung her hands timidly and her wings fluttered irregularly.

               “Sure, what’s up?” The leader replied.

               “I was wondering…should, should we really be doing this? Playing pranks, I mean.”

               All the fairies stopped what they were doing. Stop playing pranks? The very thought was absurd. A fairy who did not conduct some kind of mischief might as well be a pixie. The leader looked shocked at the very idea. She quickly regained her composure though.

               “What are you talking about? Of course we do.”

               “But why? I mean, the humans don’t seem to like it very much.”

               “So? We’re not doing it for them. We’re doing it because it’s fun for us. And besides, it makes life more interesting for the humans too. They’re so boring that anything to spice things up is welcome.”

               The others nodded in agreement. It was not like they were hurting anyone with their pranks. It was all in good fun, really.

               “I…I guess so.” The smallest fairy said weakly. “B-but maybe there are other things we can do that are fun for both us and the humans.”

               “Oh? Like what?” the leader asked, crossing her arms.

               “I…I don’t…I don’t know yet. But there has to be something, right? I…just haven’t thought of it yet.”

               The leader sighed. “Tell you what, why don’t you go and think about this new idea of yours. If you can think of something we can do that’s fun for both us and the humans, I’ll listen to it and consider it. Just remember, it can’t be anything that has us revealing ourselves.”

               “I-I know that. And…and I will. I’ll come up with the best idea ever!” The young fairy said before flying off to think.

               One of the other fairies approached the leader. “You know she won’t come up with anything, right?”

               “Of course not. But we get one like her every generation. Best to just indulge her whims and get it out of her system. She’ll figure it out eventually. Now come on, I just have the best idea for a new prank.”

       *********************************

       I'm tired. I don't know why, but I am. Yeah, that's about all I'm going to say for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment