Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Word: Harbinger

 

harbinger

[ hahr-bin-jer ]

noun

1. a person who goes ahead and makes known the approach of another; herald.
2. anything that foreshadows a future event; omen; sign: Frost is a harbinger of winter.
3. a person sent in advance of troops, a royal train, etc., to provide or secure lodgings and other accommodations.

verb (used with object)

1. to act as harbinger to; herald the coming of.

 ***************************

               The baby slept peacefully in his crib. His parents had just put him to bed, and had just collapsed onto the couch and turned on the TV. Thanks to that, they did not see the light. It started small and formless, but quickly grew in size and shape, resolving into the form of a woman. She was tall and slender, wrapped in nearly translucent white cloth, and seemed to be made more of light than flesh.

                She looked down at the sleeping child and a small smile graced her lips. She leaned over the crib and lightly ran a single finger over his still hairless head.

               “Ah, such a beautiful child.” She said quietly. “But such a grand fate. You will be the harbinger. The bringer of greatness. Although I do not know which you will chose to bring forth. Such a shame you will not remember this night. It would allow me to tell you so much. But for now, I should ensure you select my path to champion. Ensure that you become my harbinger. And for that, a gift. Hm, but which to give you.”

               She stood back and moved around the room, cradling her chin in her hand. She did not walk though. Her feet never once touched the ground. She stopped suddenly and her eyes glowed just a little bright.

               “Ah, I know. I know just the one.” She once again stood over the baby and touched his forehead. “I give to you the gift of Gentle Touch. It may not seem so grand, but once you fully understand it, you will do great things with it, and spread the way of light as you go.”

               When she pulled her hand away, a small white mark was left on his forehead. It was so tiny that not even his parents would be able to tell it was there unless they were looking hard enough. The woman of light backed away. Her head perked up and looked at a place that no human could see. Then, she vanished.

               Not a moment later, a new light appeared. This one was not exactly light though. It seemed to be a radiant mass of darkness, emitting it like a light bulb does light. And, like the first, this one quickly formed into the shape of a woman. Like her sister, she was tall and lean, dressed in fine black cloth that did not truly touch her. And she too was made not of skin and bone, but of living darkness.

               “Damn, looks like I’m too late.” She said. “Hm, let’s see. Ah, so you’re the harbinger of light and dark, eh? Not much to look at yet, but you’ll grow up well, I’m sure. Looks like she got her hooks into you though. What did she give? Gentle Touch? That’s it? She had the chance to give you an amazing gift, and that’s what she gives? Typical. Leave it to my sister to waste an opportunity. And now I’m limited in what I can give you. Can’t go upsetting the balance, now can I? Not that she cares, coming here and giving you a gift before I even show up. She always did seem to think that rules are for other people, but oh well. I can still give you a gift myself. Something to lead you down my path and become my harbinger. And I know just what to give you.”

               Without hesitation, she touched the baby, just a few inches away from where the light woman had touched him. When she drew her finger back, a black dot was left, just as tiny as the white one.

               “I’ve given you the gift of Bitter Truth. Shame I couldn’t give you Harsh Truth, but that one’s too big, and would overshadow Gentle Touch too much. Well, this one should be just fine. And should lead to some interesting encounters, especially when paired with my sister’s gift. I wonder which one you’ll end up using more. Well, I’ll be off. The night is young and I have a lot to look forward to. See you in a few years, boy.”

               When the dark woman left, the baby stirred and let out a few formless sounds. But he remained asleep. In his mind, his very first dream formed. A dream he would never remember, but would always linger in his subconscious. A dream of two women, one of light and one of darkness. 

*************************************

The beginning of something big maybe? Eh, probably not, but hey, you never know what the future might bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment