Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Word: Revenant

 

revenant

[ rev-uh-nuhnt ]
noun
1. a person who returns.
2. a person who returns as a spirit after death; ghost.

 *************************

               It appeared again. Jim could see it out of the corner of his eye. Nobody else seemed to see it though, and even he could not tell exactly what it was. He could tell it was there though. Sometimes it looked like a man, and other times as a shapeless mass of something. But he always knew it was the same thing.

               As soon as he saw it, Jim turned, looking for the currently man-shaped thing. It was, of course, not there. It was never there when he tried to look directly at it. Jim was getting fed up with its appearances though, and he made sure it knew that.

               “I know you’re there!” He shouted to the empty room. “I know it. I’m not going crazy, like everyone says. I know you’re real, whatever you are.”

               Jim felt a chill run down his spine. It felt like a finger of ice moving down his back. Then he heard laughing. Faint, echoing laughter.

               “Yes, I’m here.” A hollow voice said behind him. Jim turned, seeing nothing but the room. “I’m always here. Watching. Waiting.”

               “Waiting? Waiting for what?”

               “For my chance. For my time.”

               “Your time to do what?”

               “To kill you.”

               Jim’s heart skipped a beat. The chill was not there, but he still felt cold. His hands shook and he clenched his fists to try and stop them.

               “Why do you want to kill me? What did I do to you?”

               “Oh, Jim, you don’t remember? I’m insulted. Ah, maybe it’s because it’s been so long. Here, let me help you.”

               A shape appeared. A gaseous ball of color that twisted and turned randomly. It began growing and lengthening into the shape of a man. One that Jim knew well.

               “Y-you. No, no you…you can’t be…” Jim said, backing away from the form.

               “There, see? You do remember. And you remember what you did to me, yes?” The spirit said, slowly floating towards Jim’s retreating form.

               “I…I…”

               “No? Well, let me refresh your memory. You stole my wife. My daughter. You took them from me.”

               “I…I took care of them after…after you died. I treat them well, I really do.” A bead of sweat began to drip down his forehead. That was soon chased by another.

               “I suppose you did. You did help them after it happened.” The spirit seemed to inflate, nearly taking up the whole room. “After you killed me!” It bellowed.

               “I, I…I didn’t! You, it was an accident!”

               “An accident? Is that what you told them?” The spirit shrank down to its original, human size. Mostly. The fingers were too long and too sharp. The teeth jutted out at odd angles. And the eyes seemed to burn.

               “I…yes.” Jim said. He was running out of room to retreat. “That’s all they need to know.”

               “Oh they’ll learn more. They’ll learn the truth. The truth of what you did to me. I’ll make sure of it. And then? Then I’ll have my revenge. Until then, have a nice day. You don’t have many of them left.”

               The spirit vanished without a trace. Jim stood, sweat dripping off his face and down his back. Was what he had just seen real? He did not want to believe it, but he knew deep down that it was. As unbelievable as it was, he was being haunted by his former friend. A friend who wanted him dead. Now he just had to figure out what to do about it.

*****************************

OoOoOo spooky ghost stuff...Halloween is right around the corner everyone! Try not to eat too much candy. And if you do, remember to brush your teeth really well afterwards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment