Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Word: Monsoon

 

monsoon

[ mon-soon ]
 
noun
1. the seasonal wind of the Indian Ocean and southern Asia, blowing from the southwest in summer and from the northeast in winter.
2. (in India and nearby lands) the season during which the southwest monsoon blows, commonly marked by heavy rains; rainy season.
3. any wind that changes directions with the seasons.
4. any persistent wind established between water and adjoining land.

**************************

               “You can’t do this, Matt. You shouldn’t do this.” Nathan said.

               “Why not?” Matt replied simply. He went over the stores of supplies housed in his kayak.

               “Because it’s suicide, that’s why. I know you’re an adrenaline junkie, but this isn’t the kind of thing you walk away from.”

               “It’s just a little wind and rain. No different than white water rafting.”

               “A little? It’s a monsoon, Matt, not some little summer drizzle. These things kill people. People that are on land and in shelter. You’ll be out in the middle of it, completely exposed.”

               “Not totally exposed.”

               Matt zipped up his weather gear. The thick rubber suit covered his entire body. It even had a full head mas that would leave only his eyes exposed. And even then, he would wear protective goggles. He would get a little wet, but that was fine. That was part of the thrill.

               “You’re joking, right? Are you asking to die? Because if you are, I’ll take your paddle and brain you with it. It’ll be faster and easier. If you go out there, you’ll be hit by everything nature has to offer. The rain will be like needles. The wind will be moving as fast as most cars. And since you’ll be out in the open, the chances of getting hit by lightning are damn near certain. I wouldn’t be surprised if you capsize thirty minutes in. And that’s only because it might be a bit weaker at the boarders.”

               “And if I do, I’ll right myself and keep going.”

               “You say that like it’s easy.”

               “It is. I’ve done it before.”

               “Not in a gods damned storm, you haven’t. Look, I know you’re nuts. I know you get off on dangerous things. But this isn’t just dangerous. It’s deadly. There’s not safety net. Nobody will be out there to help when you get into trouble.”

               “If. If I get into trouble.”

               “No, Matt. When. When you get into trouble.”

               Matt finished stowing and checking his supplies and equipment. Everything was secure. Even a full flip wouldn’t dislodge it. He then went to check his kayak. His trusty boat that he had taken on every water based adventure he had ever had for years. He knew it would not let him down.

               “Look, Nathan, I appreciate you worrying about me. I really do. But you won’t talk me out of this. I’m doing it, no matter what you say. I know it’s dangerous. That’s the point. I know there’ll be nobody to help. That’s part of the fun. I’ll go out, ride the storm and all its fury, and then come back with one hell of a story. I’ve done it before, and I’ll do it again. And I’ll always count on you to be there, telling me what a terrible idea it is.”

               Nathan rubbed his forehead. He did not have a headache, even though he felt like he should.

               “I’m really not going to convince you not to do this, am I?”

               “Do you ever?”

               “No. But I can hope that you’ll figure out how dumb these things are before one of them kills you. Probably this one, actually.”

               “You’ve said that before.” Matt said. He cast his gaze to the horizon. The storm was forming. Even miles away, the wind was starting to pick up and the air was getting more humid. It would not be long. “And I always come back. Now get inside. Stay warm. Stay dry. I’ll see you when the storm ends.” 

****************************

I'll never understand adrenaline junkies. People who go out of their way to do stupid, dangerous stuff for the thrill of it. It's not my idea of fun, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment