Monday, August 8, 2022

Word: Ailurophile

 

ailurophile

[ ahy-loor-uh-fahyl, ey-loor- ]
 
noun
a person who likes cats; cat fancier.

*****************************************

               Dave looked around Jenny’s apartment. It was larger than his, and had much nicer decorations. She had done wonders with the place in terms of interior decoration. Art and plants were plentiful, and all were of high quality. But there was something else that caught his attention. Several small shelves and platforms were set high up along the walls.

               “So, you have cats?” He guessed.

               Jenny poked her head out from around the corner. “Huh? Oh, the platforms. Yeah, I do. I’ve got three, actually. They’re probably hiding from you right now.”

               “That’s great!” Dave exclaimed. “Well, not that they’re hiding, but that you have them.”

               She entered the living area and sat on a couch. Dave continued to look around, but never went very far. He peaked around a corner and saw a marvel of engineering that took the form of an large, sprawling cat tree. Although in this case, it was more like a cat forest.

               “Now that’s a hell of a thing.” He said.

               “What can I say? Nothing’s too good for my babies. How about you? Do you have any pets?”

               “No.” Dave said heavily. “My landlord doesn’t allow them. Says he doesn’t want to deal with allergies or noise complaints or anything.”

               “Ouch.”

               “Yeah. But if I could, it would definitely be cats.”

               “Really?”

               “Oh yeah, I grew up with them. My parents used to foster kittens when I was a kid. They don’t anymore, since they’re too old for it. But thanks to that, I’ve always had a fondness for felines.”

               “Aw, that’s so great. I wish I could’ve known your family back then. I would totally have come over just to play with kittens.”

               Dave nodded in understanding. That was one of his favorite forms of entertainment growing up. The two continued talking for a little while when the conversation was interrupted. One of Jenny’s pets chose that moment to make itself known.

               “Ah, here’s Jules.” Jenny said.

               “She’s a beauty. I’ve always loved calicos.” Dave said, watching the cat as it slowly made its way into the room.

               The cat watched Dave cautiously, but chose to slowly approach. Dave leaned forward and held out a finger for her to sniff. Then, in typical feline fashion, Jules lost all interest in Dave. Instead, she jumped on the couch Jenny was sitting on and crawled onto her lap. The cat spun around a few times before finding a place to sit. Then she simply luxuriated in the attention Jenny was giving her.

               “Don’t worry, she’ll warm up to you.” Jenny said.

               “Hey, I get it. I really do. It takes a lot of effort for a cat to warm up to someone. But, well, you know.”

               “Yeah, I do. It’s so worth it when it finally happens.”

               “Oh yeah, totally. There’s nothing else quite like it, is there?”

               The two continued their conversation, mostly about cats and their respective enjoyment of the animal. But other topics were spoken of as well, although not as much. But, as much as they were enjoying each other’s company, Dave eventually had to leave. He did so with the promise to bring cat treats the next time he visited.

              ******************************

I must admit, I'm more of a cat person myself. Now, don't me wrong, I do enjoy dogs. They're fun to be around and all that. But I just don't want to own one. It wouldn't be fair to the dog. They're high energy animals, and I'm a very low energy person. Any dog I ended up with would be bored out of its little doggy mind, and that's just not fair to the animal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment