Friday, December 9, 2022

Word: Algorithm

 

algorithm

[ al-guh-rith-uhm ]
 
noun
1. Mathematics. a set of rules for solving a problem in a finite number of steps, as the Euclidean algorithm for finding the greatest common divisor.
2. Computers. an ordered set of instructions recursively applied to transform data input into processed data output, as a mathematical solution, descriptive statistics, internet search engine result, or predictive text suggestions.

***********************************

               John was so engrossed with his work that he almost did not hear the door knocking. And even when he did, he almost ignored it, or else risk losing his rhythm. But he sighed. It might be someone he actually cared about.

               When he opened the door, he was greeted by the sight of a very pretty young woman in a very distracting outfit. She smiled wide and seemed ready to start jumping around.

               “Hi!” She said with a little too much enthusiasm. “I’m Trisha, your new neighbor!” She pointed at the apartment across the hall.

               John did vaguely remember the sounds of heavy things shifting and thumping over the past few days. He had mainly dismissed the sounds as useless interruptions and had ignored them.

               “Uh, I’m John. Nice to meet you.”

               “Yeah, totally! Oh my gosh, I love that painting!” She pushed passed him and entered his apartment, looking at one of the few pieces of art he owned. “It’s so cool! Is it, like, one of those computer paintings that are all over now?”

               “Uh, no. My sister drew it, and she’d hate that you said that about it.” He made a mental note to tell her though.

               “Aw, I’m sorry. It’s just really cool and weird and stuff, and all the computer pictures are like that, so, you know.”

               “Don’t worry about it.” He knew he should probably ask her to leave. She had entered uninvited after all. But having a pretty girl in his apartment had never happened before, so he figured he might as well enjoy it while it lasted.

               “Oh, hey, neat background!” Trisha said, looking at his computer. “It’s like one of those sci-fi movie things, you know?”

               “Uh, yeah, but this isn’t that. I’m just, you know, programing some stuff.”

               “Ooo, are you like, a hacker or something? I bet you are! That’s super cool. Are you, like, trying to get into one of the big companies and find some super cool secret they’re hiding?” Her eyes opened wide and her smile became almost infectious.

               “I’m not a hacker. Just a normal programmer. This is an algorithm that—”

               “I don’t know what that means, but it sounds super cool. Oh, is it like robot thing?” She recoiled and gasped. “Are you making robots?”

               “I wish. First of all, an algorithm is just a bunch of instructions for a computer to do repeatedly. This one isn’t all that interesting though. It’s pretty much just a search engine for sounds.”

               Her face scrunched up. “So, like Google, but you can search for music?”

               “Yup. You put in a sound clip, and it finds what it’s from. It could be a song, a movie, a show, a recorded speech. Anything as long as it has sound and is online.”

               “Oh my gosh, that is so cool!”

               He was not sure if she was being sincere, or if she was just enthusiastic and liked everything. It was still nice though.

               “Thanks. It’s not nearly done yet though.”

               “Oh man, I bet you’ll get super famous when it is though!”

               “I’m not looking for that. I’m probably going to set up a small company, make a few bucks and wait to get bought out by some tech giant.”

               “That’s still really great! You’ll be, like, a millionaire or something!”

               “That’s the idea.”

               She smiled even wider. “Oh man, now I have someone I can tell people I know before they get famous! I’ve always wanted to do that!”

               John rubbed the back of his neck. “I’m not sure I’ll be famous, but thanks, I guess.”

               “Oh, you definitely will! I bet—” At that moment, the sound of cheery electronic music came from somewhere on her. She clicked her tongue and reached into her shirt, pulling out a phone from one of the many hiding places women seemed to have. She looked at it for a moment and huffed. “Oh man, I gotta go. I’m meeting my mom and dad. Really boring stuff.”

               “Ah, that’s fine. I’ve got a lot to do anyway.”

               Before he knew what was happening, she gave him a quick, friendly hug that left him much happier than he had been.

               “It was super nice meeting you John.” She said.

               “Uh, yeah, you too.”

               “See ya later! You know where to find me!”

               With that, she rushed out the door and down the hall. John sat and collected his thoughts. Trisha’s presence was definitely going to make his life more interesting, that was for sure.

***************************

I'd be very surprised if this kind of program doesn't already exist. There's pretty much a search for everything else, so why not sounds? 

No comments:

Post a Comment