Thursday, March 9, 2023

Word: Futtock

 

futtock

[ fuht-uhk ]
 
noun Nautical.
any of a number of timbers forming the lower, more curved portion of the frame in a wooden hull.

 ************************************

               Trevor, soon to be captain, strode into the shipyard where his vessel was being built. It was not much to look at. At least, not yet. He knew it would soon be a ship unlike any other. The head shipwright, a large man named Larson, approached.

               “Ho there, Weston!” Larson called out.

               “Ho, Larson.” Trevor replied. “How comes my ship?”

               “Well enough. We’ve got the frame and keel made, and are getting to work on the futtock. Still a ways to go, but it’s getting done.” Larson took a few steps closer. “Listen, I don’t mean to pry, but may I ask where you got that wood?”

               “You can ask. Doesn’t mean I’ll answer. I hope you don’t mind the state I brought it in though.”

               “I wouldn’t say I mind. A bit odd to bring the entire tree though. Can’t say I’ve ever seen that. Especially since the roots were still attached.”

               Trevor let a small grin cross his face. “I hope you’ve been handling my requests about that.”

               “Oh, aye, we have. We’ve got the heartwood set aside for the masts and figurehead. Enough for all of it and then some. The leaves are already at the sail maker and the roots are a part of the keel. Although, I have to ask…what kind of tree was that? I’ve never seen its like. And there’s something, something off about the wood.”

               “Off? How so?”

               “Well…” Larson wrung his callused hands and his eyes darted around. “I’m not sure how to say this, but it’s…it’s like the wood is aware. Some have said it speaks to them. Not in words, but it feelings. It speaks to their deepest instincts.”

               “Come now, man, you can’t believe that, can you?”

               “Normally, I wouldn’t. But I’ve felt it myself. It’s like the wood knows what’s being done to it, and wants it done. When I work with it, I can almost feel it guiding my hand to make it the best I can. And I swear I’ve seen the planks merging when they’re set in place. You can’t tell looking at them, but I swear it on the graves of both my parents.”

               Trevor closed his eyes and tilted his head back. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you think that tree was haunted.”

               “Not haunted, no. I don’t go for that. But some of my workers do. They say…” He looked around quickly before coming in closer to speak in hushed tones. “They say it’s fae touched wood.”

               Trevor barked out a laugh. “Fae touched? Your men still believe if fairy tails in this day and age?”

               “I’m starting to believe it myself. That wood is tougher than iron, and yet I can almost feel it guiding my hand so that I work with it like clay. And the sail maker? They say those leaves are just as sturdy. She tells me once she’s done with it that this ship’s sails will be sturdier than most war ship’s hulls. You can’t tell me that was a normal tree, Weston.”

               “I’m afraid I can say nothing about it, sir. Well, nothing that I haven’t told you already. Just keep working. If it helps, I’ll throw in an extra five percent onto what I’ve paid if you and your men don’t think about it.”

               Larson’s mouth contorted. He let out a huff. “Fine. I won’t give it another moment’s thought. But you should. You’ll be sailing in this ship. I’d hate for you to be cursed by whatever’s making it like it is.”

               “I wouldn’t worry about it. By the way, you said you’ve already freed the heartwood? Mind if I see it?”

               “Go right ahead.”

               Larson pointed to where the wood was being kept and prepared. It was a massive piece of wood, bigger than many trees, even in its diminished state. None of the workers were paying him much attention, so he placed a hand against the smooth surface. Then he spoke in hushed words.

               “Be careful. I think some of the workers are starting to suspect.”

               He felt the wood give a faint pulse. A voice echoed in his mind. “Don’t worry. I know what I’m doing. I need to help them if I want a proper job done. They’d never be able to use me properly otherwise.”

               “I know. But still. Caution is advised. The people here are superstitious and don’t understand the fae. If they find out the truth, they’ll likely burn you down.”

               The tree pulsed. “I see. Your warning is appreciated. I still need to help them, but I’ll think of how to do it more subtly.”

               “Thank you. I need to be off before people start to think me mad. I’ll come by every now and then though.”

               “Of course. See you see, friend.”

               Trevor nodded and walked away. He cast his eyes to the skeleton of his ship. A smile crossed his face. It really would be a ship unlike any other.

****************************

I have a few ideas about how this got started. They aren't very well fleshed out, but I have them. Maybe someday I'll act on them. It's not too likely, but the possibility is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment