Thursday, June 8, 2023

Word: Hadal

 

hadal

[ heyd-l ]
adjective Oceanography.
1. of or relating to the greatest ocean depths, below approximately 20,000 feet (6,500 meters).
2. of or relating to the biogeographic region of the ocean bottom below the abyssal zone.

***********************************

               A small figure looked out the small window into the blackness that the glass barely held back. Even with the supposedly powerful lights, the darkness was absolute. It was like they were trespassing in a domain where light was a cardinal sin.     Where light did not reach not because it could not, but because it dare not to.

               “Every time I look out there, I swear there’s something that’s going to pop out and eat us.” The figure said.

               “Yeah, I know.” Said another person. She moved beside the other, joining him at the window. “You’ve mentioned that a few times. And every time I give the same answer. That if there was anything that big nearby, the radar would pick it up.”

               “I know, I know. Doesn’t stop me from thinking it though.”

               The two of them were silent for a moment. The cold metal keeping the darkness at bay creaked. It was not the first time they had heard that sound. They both knew what it meant.

               “God damn, I hate these deep ocean missions.” The man said. “First things wanting to make a meal out of us, now the sub springing a leak. And yes, I know that’s not what those sounds are. I know it’s the tech doing its thing and adjusting the hull so that it doesn’t pop. I know that. Doesn’t mean I have to like it.”

               “Fair enough. I will admit it’s not a pleasant thing to hear. I freaked me out the first time I heard it too.”

               “Only the first time?” He said with a raised eyebrow.

               She did not answer, instead becoming increasingly fascinated by the outside. He had heard all he needed to on that front. A few small shapes flitted through the headlights. Daring beings brave or foolish enough to enter the forbidden light. Both occupants knew they may not even be able to see the beams. Eyes were rare in the depths.

               A larger fish swooped in and made a meal of the foolish ones. They sought the forbidden and were punished for it.

               “There’s always a bigger fish.” The man muttered. “Hopefully not too big though.”

               The woman let out a single, sharp chuckle. “Not too big, indeed.”

               The predator lingered around for a moment before heading off. It would seek more pray, with whatever senses it had. The two people watched it as it passed into the darkness, vanishing as quickly as it had appeared.

               The woman sighed. “Alright, I think that’s enough of a break. We’ve got work to do.”

               “Yeah, sure.” He said absently. He still looked out at the darkness. He almost thought he saw some vast shape moving around in the water, only to realize it was his mind playing tricks on him. He sat at one of the two seats.

               The small engine of the sub spun to life at the command of its occupants. At least sound was not forbidden so deep in the depths. The two of them guided the sub down, further into the complete darkness, and ever away from the light of the surface.

              ****************************

Just as long as they don't here a certain warning from their sub's computer, I'm sure they'll be fine...

No comments:

Post a Comment