Friday, September 8, 2023

Word: Sartorial

 

sartorial

[ sahr-tawr-ee-uhl, -tohr- ]
adjective
  1. of or relating to tailors or their trade: sartorial workmanship.

  2. of or relating to clothing or style or manner of dress: sartorial splendor.

  1. Anatomy. pertaining to the sartorius.

 ***********************************

               “I don’t know about this place. It doesn’t look very reputable.” Mike said. His eyes darted around the small shop, taking everything in.

               It was dimly lit, there was a fine layer of dust on the windows, and the spiders had made themselves quite at home on the ceiling. And there was no hint of cloth anywhere. In fact, the place was barren of any merchandise at all.

               “Hey, I know it isn’t much to look at,” Ted said. “but this place is legit. Best tailor I’ve ever seen. The things this guy can do with cloth? It’s practically magic.”

               “Are you sure this is even a store? I mean, there isn’t anything to buy.”

               A well-hidden door in the back of the area opened and an old man hobbled out. He was painfully thin, hunched over and had glasses that were thicker than the windows. But he was immaculately dressed in a perfectly tailored suit that somehow made him seem less bony than he actually was.

               “What’s this? Customers?” The old man said upon seeing the two men. “Excellent. Who needs what and why?”

               Mike wanted to ask many questions of the old man, but Ted beat him to it. He clapped Mike on the shoulder and said spoke with a huge grin on his face. “My buddy here is getting married. He needs something for the big day.”

               “Ah, how wonderful.” The old man said. “It’s been far too long since my own wedding, but I remember it fondly. Truly a magical moment. Don’t worry, young man, I’ll have you looking better than you ever have before. Come, come, let me see what we’re dealing with.”

               The old man hobbled over to Mike, who now felt like the moment for questioning had passed before he ever got to ask anything. The old tailor pulled out a worn tape measure and went to work. He had Ted hit all the standard tailoring poses with his arms and legs. The old man muttered a few things to himself as he did. Mike wondered why he was not even taking notes, or using pins or anything. But he did feel…something.

               It was faint. So faint that he wondered if it was his mind playing tricks on him. It was a weight, a pressure that fell on him like a second set of clothing. The feeling persisted as the tailor continued to take his measurements. Mike looked quizzically at the old man, and he thought he saw a glint or a glow in the elder’s eyes. Again, it was so faint that it could easily be a trick of the light, but he swore it was there.

               “Okay, I’ve gotten what I need.” The old tailor said. “It will be a day or so before I’m done, so you can come back then.”

               “Wait, shouldn’t we at least talk about color or cloth or something?” Mike asked.

               “Oh no need for that. I’ve got it all worked out.” The old man said with a small grin. “I assure you, you won’t be disappointed. I’d say you’d be beating the ladies off with a stick in the suit I’ll be making, but I imagine that won’t be a problem soon enough.”

               “But…”

               “Come on, man,” Ted said. “Let the man work. If he says he’ll take care of it, then he’ll take care of it.”

               “Indeed I will. Now off with you. I’ve got lots of work to do to make everything perfect, and I’m not as young as I used to be. Just come back in two days and I’ll have the best suit you’ve ever worn all ready for you.”

               Ted placed his arm around Mike’s shoulder and guided him out the worn wooden door. Mike glanced behind him at the shop. It did not seem quite real. Whatever had just happened left him with a lot of questions, none of which were likely to be answered. He would make sure to visit other suit stores though, just in case.

**********************************

 Yeah, this is totally a magical tailoring shop. I mean, what else could it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment