Friday, September 25, 2026

Word: Avarice

avarice

 [av-er-is] / ˈæv ər ɪs /

noun

  1. insatiable greed for riches; inordinate, miserly desire to gain and hoard wealth.

  ******************************

                Hector sat before the old woman. At least, she appeared to be an old woman. If the stories were true, she was far more than that. The air around her was certainly different from that outside the small tent. And not just because of the incense the gave the space a heavy herbal scent. It was more like everything inside the tent, the air included, was part of the woman. Hector did not let that bother him. As long as he did not provoke her, he would be fine.

                “Greetings, hero.” The woman said. Her voice was thin and hoarse. But there was something odd about it. Hector almost thought there were two voices, one occurring just beyond the range of his hearing. “I know what it is you come for.”

                “I’m sure you do.” Hector replied. “What will it cost me to learn what I want?”

                “Nothing you need to worry about. I am collecting my payment even now. Do not worry, it shall not harm you.”

                Hector looked inwards, trying to find what he was losing. He could not feel anything different. That was good. If he could get the answers he sought without losing anything of value, he could only think of this as a complete win.

                “Very well.”

                “Good. Now, you come seeking power, yes?”

                “I do. I wish to know the best way to grow stronger so that I may triumph over the evils that plague this world.”

                The woman’s mouth curled up into a toothy grin. Her teeth were uneven and yellowing. And some of them seemed sharper than they should have.

                “I can do this. I can give you knowledge of your greatest strength, so that you can grow it. Or I can give you knowledge of your greatest weaknesses, so that you may correct it. Either will accomplish what you seek.”

                “Not both?”

                “Not with the payment you are providing.”

                That was a disappointment. But he would not press the matter. That would likely lead to him gaining nothing, or worse.

                “In that case, tell me my weakness. I shall strive to eliminate it.”

                The woman’s grin grew a tiny bit. She looked at him long and hard. Then she spoke.

                “Avarice. That is your weakness.”

                “Avarice?”

                “Greed. You seek to possess much. More than you need. More than you should have. Power. Gold. Even social connections. You seek all of it, even at the expense of others.”

                “That…that’s not true.” Hector said quickly.

                “Is it not? Tell me, when you and your companions found that magic book last month, what did you do?”

                “I took it, obviously. I was the best choice.”

                “Were you? That book was for the element of water. You are a user of light, are you not?”

                “I…am…”

                “And your companion, an elementalist. One who uses water quite adeptly.”

                Hector’s brow furrowed in thought. Was she right? Had he made an error in judgement that day?

                “Now tell me, why did you really want that book.”

                “Be…because…” Hector started, but stopped to think. Why had he done that? And now that he thought about it, the same could be said for several other magic items currently in his possession. Weren’t there others who could use them better? There was only one real answer he could give. Well, there were several, but only one that he knew, deep down, was correct.

                “Because I wanted it. I wanted it for no reason other than I wanted it.”

                “Yes. Good.” The woman said. “The first step to overcoming a weakness is to admit that you have it. Recognize your own greed. Know it. And then learn to overcome it. It will not happen right away. It will be a slow and painful process. But if you can overcome your own avarice, you will grow considerably. As a hero. As a member of a team. As a person. Now, I have given you the answer you seek. Go and make use of what you have learned. And perhaps someday you will find your way back to me. Good luck, hero.”

                Hector wanted to ask more. So much more. But was that his greed, or was it curiosity? No, it was best to leave now and think. He had a lot of soul searching to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment