Monday, January 27, 2014

Word: Squib



 

squib

\ skwib \  , adjective;
1. a short and witty or sarcastic saying or writing.
2. Journalism . a short news story, often used as a filler.
verb:
1. to write squibs.
2. to shoot a squib.

*****************************
Lauren’s eye twitched as she read the email.  The messages containing her assignments were usually rife with information on what she would need.  What she was doing, where and when to show up, large numbers of potential interviews and so on.  Even info such as what to focus on, sample questions and who was really important. This one contained relatively little information.  Just the event, date, time and a single name.  But that wasn’t what was annoying her.  It was what the event was.
               She read the email over again to make sure she was reading it right.  When she determined she was, she printed out a copy and headed to her boss’s office.  She tried not to seem to angry as she went, but from the looks her coworkers were giving her, she was doing a poor job of it. 
She didn’t bother knocking on her boss’s door.  It was early, he wouldn’t be too busy.  She considered leaving the door open for a moment to let the office know what travesty had transpired, but thought better of it and shut the door behind her.
“What the hell is this?”  She asked when the portly man looked up from his computer.
“Well, it looks like a sheet of paper.  But since I’m assuming you’re talking about what’s on the paper, you’ll have to show it to me first.”  He said.  She slammed it down on the desk, not wanting to be subtle about it.
“I am one of this paper’s best journalists, and you give me a fluff piece?”  She said even before he had picked the paper up.
 “Oh, right.  That.”  He said, putting the paper down.  He didn’t need to hear any more than that.
“Oh, that?  Is that really all you can say?  How dare you give me this trivial little thing.  I mean, this isn’t a story for me.  This is a freelancer job.”
“Lauren, calm down a bit.  I have a reason for giving you this one.”
“This had better be good.”  She said, crossing her arms.
“Look, I know you’re one of our best.  And you’ve been with us for what, ten years?”
“Twelve.”
“Right, twelve.  That’s kind of why I gave you this particular assignment.”
“Okay, you lost me.  I’ve covered some of the biggest stories in years, I’ve won awards for this paper, and written some of the best articles in the history of this publication, and that’s why you’re sending me on a rookie job?”
“Yes.”
“And that makes sense to you?”
“Hear me out before you burst a blood vessel.  Take a look at what the assignment is.”  He handed the printed email back to Lauren.  She took it roughly from him and read it.
“It’s some local fair or something.”
“It’s a carnival is what it is.  You haven’t had a real break for going on eight years now.  Not even so much as a real vacation.  You’re on call all day every day, no matter what it is.  So, I give you this.  Think of it as a little mini vacation.  Go, take your kids and have fun with it.  Talk to the coordinator and some families, take a few pictures and then enjoy yourself with your own family.  You get in for free, work for twenty minutes tops, and then relax for a few hours.  Knowing you, it’s probably the closest thing to a day off you’ll ever have.”
“Oh yeah, because I really want to have fun while I’m on the job.”  She said, doing her best not to roll her eyes.
“I’m sure.  Look, just go there and have some fun with your kids.  What’s wrong, you don’t like your family or something?”
“W-what?”  Lauren asked.  The question had come completely out of left field, and she had no idea how he had even arrived at such a thought.  “N-no, of course not.  I love my family.”
“Than what’s the problem?  I promise, your kids will love it, and it’s not like you have to spend a lot of time on this one.”
“That may be, but I still have my journalistic integrity to worry about.”
               “If that’s what you’re worried about, then just put a different name in the by line.  Just make up some name and use that.”
               Lauren thought about it.  Spending some extra time with her kids did sound appealing, even if it was under the guise of work.  Besides, it wasn’t like she had much choice.  It was obvious that he wasn’t going to change his mind, so she had to go.
               “Ok, fine.  But you owe me.”
               “Uh huh.  I’ll make sure you get the next big disaster story.”
               “Fine.  And the next political rally?”
               “Don’t push your luck.”  Lauren stood there without saying anything.  “Ok, fine the next rally too.  Happy?”
               “Yes, I think I am.  Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some real stories write up for the next issue.”  Lauren said before leaving the office.  Although she wasn’t completely satisfied with the result of her meeting, she could handle it.  And she did know he was right about one thing.  This probably was the closest thing to a day off she was likely to take.  As she walked back to her desk, she thought about how it might not be so bad, but still hoped she wouldn’t be getting any more assignments like that one again.
***********************************
I worked for a local paper for awhile.  But since it was only a part time freelance type thing, I only got assignments like this one.  Then they just kind of stopped calling me.  I don't really mind though.  But even if I was full time I don't think I'd necessarily mind going to places like a carnival for a story like that.  I suppose a real journalist would though.  No idea what any of this has to do with the story (other than the type of assignment) but whatever.

1 comment:

  1. What fun is writing news stories when you can just make it up. Oh right, that's what some "journalists" are doing now.

    ReplyDelete