Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Word: Frivol



 

frivol

\ FRIV-uhl \  , verb;
1. to behave frivolously; trifle.
2. to spend frivolously (usually followed by away): to frivol away one's time .

*********************************
“You know what we should do?  We should go out dancing or something.”  Molly said.  She sat on the bed and leaned against the wall, looking at Jeremy hopefully.
                “Can’t.  Too busy.”  He said simply.  Molly’s shoulders slumped at the bland response.
                “Oh come on.  That’s boring.  Don’t be boring.”
                “I’m not boring.  I just don’t care about those frivolities that you call fun.”
                “Yes you are.  You’re boring.  I mean, it’s eight o’clock on a Friday and you’re here, in your dorm room, doing homework of all things.  Maybe if you were playing a game or something, I could live with it.  But homework?”
                “This is a very important project.  I’ll need some time to finish it.”
                “But all weekend?”
                “Sure.”
                Molly flopped back on the bed and leaned over the side.  Her hair fell around her and landed on the floor.  She huffed a stray strand out of her eyes and grimaced at Jeremy.
                “You know, if you only do work you’ll go nuts, right?  I mean, you have to unwind sometime.”
                “I will.  Once I finish.”
                “Pff, no you won’t.  You’ll just find some other boring thing to do.  You know you will.”
                “And what of it?  There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be productive.”
                “There’s a difference between being productive and being a dull workaholic.  You fall squarely in the second category.”
                “I fail to see the problem with that.”
                Molly grumbled.  She was getting nowhere.  All she wanted was to take Jeremy out dancing with her, and he was resisting.  She needed something to get him out of his books.  She looked around an quickly found something.  She rolled off the bed and headed to his computer.
                “Hey is your computer on?”
                “Yes.”  Jeremy said with an exasperated sigh.
                Molly wiggled the mouse a bit and the screen came to life.  She went right to the internet browser and it wasn’t long before the small room was filled with upbeat dancing music.  Molly raised her hands over her head and started a full body gyration that was she reserved for dancing in clubs and the like.   Jeremy stopped working for a moment and looked at her.
                “What are you doing?”  He asked.
                “Simple.  I want to dance, so I’m dancing.”
                “That’s not dancing.”  He said flatly.
                “Sure it is.  I’m moving to the music, and that means dancing.”
                “It’s just wiggling, not dancing.”
                “Well then, get up and show me some real moves.”
  She swayed over to Jeremy and moved around his chair, swaying and gyrating all the while.  Jeremy looked wholly uninterested in her display.  He turned back to his desk and resumed working.  Molly stopped dancing and slumped her shoulders.
“Oh come on, really?”  She said.
“Like I said, I’ve got better things to do.”
“You know, I think you’re the only guy I know who won’t dance with me.”
“What about Tedd?”
                “Ok, so you’re the only straight guy I know that won’t dance with me.”
“Yes, well, I suppose I just think with a different head than most guys do.  Now ,if you are quite finished?”
She wasn’t.  At this point it was more than just wanting to have some fun with him.  It was now a challenge.  She would get him out of that chair, she just needed to use the right tactics.  He had already shown himself to be resistant to her formidable feminine wiles.  Using them was still not completely off the table, but it would have to wait to be a weapon of last resort.  She moved in behind him and flicked the back of his head. 
                “Come on, let’s go.  It’s only a few hours.”  She said.
                “No.”  He replied bluntly.  She flicked him again.  He grumbled his annoyance, but stubbornly refused to acknowledge her efforts.
                She repeatedly flicked the back of his head in time to the still playing music.  Jeremy felt his eye twitching at the constant, small interruptions in his concentration.   Molly continued unabated with her small assaults on the back of his head.
                “Are you going to stop any time soon?”  He said eventually.
                “Nope.”
                “Look, if you want to go clubbing so badly, then why not call one of your legion of fanboys?  I’m sure they’d accommodate you.”
                “First of all, it’s dancing, not clubbing.  I have a place in mind for that.  For both, actually, but never mind that.  And second, I’ve got my mind made up on going with you, and I will not be denied.  I’ll stop when you agree to go with me.”
                “Well then you’ll be here a long time.”  He said defiantly before returning to work. 
                Molly stood there, flicking his head as Jeremy tried to work.  He had to admit, between her actions and the music playing, it was getting harder and harder to focus on his task.  Still, he was as adamant about not going as she was about going. 
That is, until she started humming.  It was quiet at first, hidden by the music from his computer.  Then she started humming louder.  She tried to hum along with the beat of the music as well as she could, but fell short.  For all of her good points, making music was not one of them.  Her jarring, discordant humming clashed with the actual music, and combined with her constant flicking, it made it impossible for him to work.
“Alright, fine.  If I go with you, will you stop bugging me about it?”
“Of course.”
“Fine, let’s go.”
“Oh yay.  Don’t worry, I promise you’ll have fun.”  Molly said giddily. 
She bounded over and turned off the computer before heading to the door.  Jeremy slumped out of his chair and followed behind her as she left the dorm room.  She was quite happy, both with her victory and with the prospect of having some fun.  Jeremy was somewhat less so, the prospect of such idle amusement not sitting well with him.  Still, he had to admit she was right, getting out and doing something other than work would be good for him.  He might as well try it.  Maybe some of her attitude would rub off on him while on the dance floor.
***************************
That ending might be a bit abrupt, but it's all I could think of.  Think it's ok?  Maybe if I ever rework these stories I'll try something else. Of course, it would probably have to be longer, but whatever.  And of course I do have a lot of other things I'd want to do first, but still.  We'll just have to see what happens, won't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment