Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Word: Votive



 

votive

\ VOH-tiv \  , adjective;
1. offered, given, dedicated, etc., in accordance with a vow: a votive offering .
2. performed, undertaken, etc., in consequence of a vow.
3. of the nature of or expressive of a wish or desire.

***********************************
The man walked into the hotel room without waiting for someone to answer it.  He knew the room was occupied.  He knew the current occupant.  He even knew what condition said occupant was in, and why no one would answer the door if he knocked.  The tall, thin man looked around at the room for a moment.  For the most, it was a normal place.  Two beds, a dresser, a TV and the like.  The late afternoon sun shone in through the large windows, casting its light on the small, round table. The man cast a quick glance over the assortment of tools that had been placed on it for a moment before his dark, shallow eyes fell on the occupant.
Doug pulled the linen bandage tight around his torso.  Red splotches of various sizes were already coloring the white fabric, but Doug didn’t care.  He simply clipped the loose end to the rest of it, securing the bandage to his body.  He grinned when he saw the black clothed man enter the room.  His eyes immediately began darting around the room for anything he could use.
“Nowhere to run this time, Douglas.”  The man said.  His voice was…odd, to say the least.  Empty, cold, and dispassionate, and yet had a caring, soothing quality as well.  “Time for you to come with me.”
“Nah.”  Doug said quickly.  “You know I can’t just do that.”
“Of course not. Your little vow, I remember.”
“Uh huh.  I promised to keep running from you.  And you know that I don’t break promises.”
“I am well aware.  But it won’t be breaking your vow this time.  After all, I made a vow to catch you.  Anyway, you knew it was futile to run from me when you made it.”
“That’s what makes it fun.  Common, you can’t tell me you haven’t been enjoying this.” 
The man hung his head and smiled.  Doug lifted himself off the floor and casually fingered the tools he had placed on the table.
“Yes, I do admit a part of me enjoys this.  Most people don’t get a Final Vow, and none have vowed to run from me.  It does get dull sometimes.  And yet, I still have a job to do, and you can no longer stay here.  Surely you realize this game of yours has gone on far too long already.”
“Maybe it has.  But that doesn’t mean I’m quitting.  You said it yourself the first time we met.  I have to adhere to the promise I made, and then I go with you.  But, since mine was to run, there’s not much I can do, is there?”  Doug said happily as his fingers played over the tools.  The man sighed. 
“Yes, but why?  Everyone you know has already gone with me.  The world has changed too much for you to live in it any more.”
“I do ok.  ‘Sides, there’s still lots I want to see and do.  I’m not giving up until that’s all done and finished.  Nothing you or yours can do about it.”
“Clearly.  I must admit, you have done a remarkable job at evading my agents.  Although not unscathed, I see.”  The man said, holding out a thin, boney finger to the red marks on Doug’s bandages.   
“Yeah well, can’t win ‘em all I guess.  But this isn’t so bad.  I’ve had worse you know.”
“Naturally.  I gave you most of those ‘worse’ wounds.  I am once again impressed at your tolerance for injury though.”
“Heh, well, it wouldn’t be much fun if I just gave up cause of a few holes, now would it?”
“So you have told me.  I would say it is more luck than anything.  But this time It seems you have run out of that.”
Doug grinned as he left the table.  A long, brown leather coat was resting on the bed until Doug grabbed it.  He slung the garment onto his back and slid his arms through it.
“I’d say I got a lucky streak left in me.”  He said as he returned to the tool table.
“Doubtful.  My employers are starting to grow weary of this.  They were entertained at first, but you are starting to lose your novelty.  I would suggest you come with me before they start to get angry.  You do not want that, I assure you.”
“Yeah, yeah.  I’ve read the books.  Can’t be that bad though I bet.”  Doug cast a cheerful eye at the man.
“True.”  The thin man said.  He held his chin for a moment.  “There was some embellishment.  The writers did take quite a few liberties after all.  But the point still stands.  You do not want them mad at you.  It might make this chase unpleasant.”
“Yeah, probably.  That doesn’t mean I’m giving up though.”  He said.  Doug picked up a medium sized hammer and hefted it a few times.
“I hope you are not planning to use that on me.”  The man said in a grave tone.
“Nope.  I know better than that.”
“Good.  What are you planning with it then?”
“Easy.  I’m gonna keep my promise.” 
                As soon as Doug said those words, he threw the hammer at the window.  The impact shattered the glass.  Shards billowed out, catching the light and casting brief, chaotic rainbows on the floor.  Before the man could do anything, Doug was in motion.  He ran fearlessly out the broken window, unheeding of the remaining glass.
                The man dashed forward, only to see Doug rolling on the ground.  He sprung up, seemingly un caring about the two story fall he had just taken.  Doug turned and looked, smirking at his pursuer for a moment before running.  The man smiled before turning to leave to room.
                “Interesting fellow.”  He mused out loud.  “It seems a shame I have to take him.  Still, me must know that there is no escape from Death.”
***************************************
I wonder how many people figured out what was going on before the last line.  Probably more than I'd like, but such is the nature of things.  As always, let me know what you think of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment