Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Word: furtherance





furtherance

[fur-th er-uh ns] 
noun
1. the act of furthering; promotion; advancement.

*******************************
Ken had no idea what he was doing, or why he was doing it.  His whole body shook and a cold sweat ran down his back.  All others present seemed just as confused.
                “What’d you say?”  Asked the man holding a small handgun. 
                “I-I said you should leave her alone.”  Ken said, nodding at the pretty young woman the thug had been in the process of mugging.
                “You serious man?  You planning on stopping me or something?” 
                “I’m pretty sure I already have, actually.”  Ken said.  He forced himself to look and act braver than he was.  It wasn’t easy, considering the man was quite a bit larger than he was, and had a gun.  “I mean, you’re not attacking her right now, are you?”  The woman stifled a chuckle at his comment.  Ken was amazed she was capable of such a thing, considering her position. 
                “You think you’re funny or something?  Man, I ought to pop you one.”  The thug said, leveling his weapon at Ken’s chest.
                “Sure, go ahead.” Ken said.  He said it more for the effect it would have than actually wanting to have a new hole in his body.  “Shoot me, I dare you.”  He continued.  The thug suddenly didn’t look nearly as confident.
                “Uh, what?”
                “Yeah, shoot me.  I mean, really go ahead.”
                “What’re you talking about?”
                “Look pal, let me tell you a bit about me.  I’m 27 years old, have a crappy job that pays next to nothing.  I live in a tiny apartment that even rats avoid.  I’ve never had so much as a date with a girl.  Oh, and my best friend is a stray cat who comes by for a free meal every now and then.  So yeah, shoot me if you think it’d do anything.  My life is stuck in a dead end, so I’ve got nothing to gain, nothing to give, and nothing to lose.  Now, if you’re not going to pull the trigger, than let’s see what else we can do.”  Ken held his fists up in a crude fighting stance.  “I took karate lessons when I was a kid.  Care to see how much I remember?”
                It probably wasn’t much of a threat.  Even if he remembered any of those childhood lessons, his body was in no condition to actually be fighting.  His pudgy, soft body was slow and weak, and even if he could land a punch on the much larger man, it probably wouldn’t do anything.  But that wasn’t the point.  His actions were more of a mental attack than anything.  And at that, he was doing just fine.  The thug looked visibly shaken by Ken’s odd actions. 
                “Y-you know what?”  The thug said as he put his gun away.  “I don’t feel like doing this anymore, so I’ll let you all off for now.  But I ever see either of you again, we’ll be picking up real quick.”
                Ken just glared at the man as he left, disappearing down the largely empty city street.  Ken stood there until his assailant was out of sight. 
                “Is he gone?”  He said quietly. 
                “Looks like it.”  Said the woman.
                “Oh good.”  As soon as the words left his lips, he collapsed, leaning against a nearby wall for support.  His breathing was heavy, his pulse was pounding and he was sweating rivers.
                “Are, uh, are you ok?”  The would be victim asked.
                “I will be once the unbridled terror goes away.” He said.  She chuckled lightly at his little joke.
                “Well, thanks for the help anyway.”  She said.
                “Uh, yeah, sure.  No problem.”
                “No really, I mean it, thanks.”  She said with a bright smile.  He looked up at her as he attempted to recover.
                She really was an impressively beautiful brunette.  Far too good for Ken somewhat subpar looks.  He knew he would never have a shot with her romantically, and chances were he would never see her again.  But a small part of him hoped.
                “Yeah, yeah sure.”
                “I’m Cassie, by the way.”
                “Ken.  Nice to meet you.”  He said.  He had finally recovered enough to stand up straight.
                “Likewise.  So, Ken, I have to know.  Why’d you help me out?”
                “I don’t really know.  I just kind of did.”
                “Ah.  You weren’t hoping for a shot with me, were you?”  She said with a sly gun.  Ken felt his face heat up for reasons other than his previous encounter.
                “N-no, not really.  I mean a pretty lady like you?  No way I’d be able to do that.  Besides, I bet you have a boyfriend already.”
                “Nope.  I’m single right now, but I am looking.  And you?”
                “Are you kidding?  You did hear what I told that guy, right?”  He said.  Cassie’s smile turned into surprise. 
                “Wait, you mean that was all true?  I thought it was just some weird psychological attack.”
                “Well, it kind of was.  But it’s still all real.”
                “Oh.  Oh wow, I’m sorry.”
                “Not your fault my life ground to halta few years ago.”  Ken said bitterly.
                “You know what you need?”  Cassie said, suddenly looking much more cheerful.  “You need something to get you moving again.  You know, a little push to start that forward motion of life again.  Advance your position at work, get out of the bad apartment.  You know, that kind of thing.  Just get your life back on the track.”
                “Uh huh.  That’d be nice, but who’s gonna do that.”
                “I will.  And I know just how to do it too.”
                “How?”  Ken asked.  He couldn’t help but be a little curious.
                “Solve that problem you have with being dateless.  You’re going out on your first real date.”
                “Uh, with, uh, with who?”
                “Well, me, of course.”  She said matter-of-factly. 
                “Y-you?   B-but you’re…”
                “Doesn’t matter what I am.  I’m asking you out, and all you have to do is say yes.  If you do, there can be other benefits, even if we find out we hate each other later.”
                “Benefits?  Like what?”
                “I’m a personal trainer.  I can help you get rid of that.”  Cassie pointed as his soft gut.
                “Seriously?”
                “Oh yeah, check this out.”  She said.  She raised her arm and flexed.  Ken couldn’t actually see anything because of her clothes though.  He hesitantly placed his hand on her arm.  She was indeed quite solid.  Much more than he was at any rate.  “See?  I can whip you into shape real good.  And from there, who knows what’ll happen?  You might find all you need to get your life going again.”
                Ken considered his options.  He didn’t exactly like where he was, but it was all he knew.  If he accepted Cassie’s offer, he’d be stepping into unknown territory.  But then again, wasn’t that the point?  He did need to work on advancing just about everything about his life, and Cassie was giving him the perfect way to do that.  Plus, the offer for a real date with such a beauty was quite tempting as well.
                “O-ok, yeah, sure.  That sounds good.”  He said.
                “Great! Can I see your phone for a sec?”
                Ken took out his phone and handed it to her.  She fiddled with it for a few minutes before handing it back.  It didn’t take long for him to find that she had added her name and number to his contacts.
                “I’ll see you later then.  How about Friday at eight?  Or is seven a better time?”
                “Seven is good.”
                “Cool.  How about we meet right back here then and we can have some fun.” 
                “Ok.  Sure, I’d like that.”
                “Kay.”  She leaned in and gave him a big, friendly hug.  “See you then.”
                Ken watched her go with a dreamy look on his face.  His first date was going to be with someone he would never dream of approaching normally.  It was a sign.  A foretelling of things to come.  For the first time in years, Ken felt his life beginning to progress in a great direction.  
****************************
Not really sure if the story fits the word, but I think it does a decent enough job.  It's still a nice story though, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment