Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Word: Paramnesia





paramnesia

[par-am-nee-zhuh]  
noun
1. Psychiatry. a distortion of memory in which fact and fantasy are confused.
2.the inability to recall the correct meaning of a word.
 

*****************************
“Hey, Alex, what’s this?”  Brandon asked, holding up the large sheet of drawing paper. 
                Alex turned from the drawing table he had been hunched over and looked at the picture his roommate was holding up.  It was an unfamiliar scene that wouldn’t look out of place in a fantasy movie.  It featured a large, sprawling castle under attack by some kind of generic monster army.  It had been hand drawn, and was clearly flawed in several places, but it was a decent attempt none the less.
                “Uh, looks like a drawing.” Alex said.
                “Right.  But it’s not a landscape drawing, is it?”
                “Nope.  Although, depending on how you look at it…”
                “Yeah, no.  It’s not a landscape, that’s the point.  So why was it in your portfolio bag?”
                “What?  That’s not…hold up, you went through my stuff?”
                “Meh.  It was just kind of sticking out there and…”  Brandon paused and blinked before continuing.  “Now wait a sec, I’m not on trial here.”
                “And I am?”
                “That depends.  Did you draw this for class?”
                “I don’t think so.  I mean, I finished my assignment, and it wasn’t that.”
                Brandon sighed in relief. If Alex didn’t pass his classes, he’d be kicked out.  And there was no way that Brandon would put up with a new roommate, not when he had just gotten one that didn’t completely suck.  Ok, so Alex did tend to zone out sometimes, but that was pretty much the worst of it.  Brandon needed to make sure Alex passed and stayed in school, no matter the cost.
                “Great.  Let me see it.”  Brandon said.
                Alex stood and went to the large, flat bag that housed his artwork.  He opened it and rummaged through the contents, examining the drawings that were placed in it.  His brow furrowed in confusion before he put it down.
                “It’s, uh, it’s not there.”  He said.
                “What do you mean it’s not there?”  Brandon asked, getting very worried.  His stable dorm room life was hanging in the balance.
                “I mean, it’s not there.”
                “I thought you said you did it.”
                “I did.  And I put it in the bag right away.”  Alex said.  He paused and took another look at the drawing Brandon was still holding.  “Hang on, let me see that for a sec.”  Brandon handed the oversized sheet of thick paper over for Alex to examine.  “I, uh, I think this is it.”  He said.  “I mean, it’s my style and everything.”
                “Wait, what?  I thought you said you didn’t draw it.”
                “To be fair, I never actually said that I didn’t.  I just said I did my landscape.”
                Brandon went over the conversation in his mind.  Alex was indeed correct on that point.
                “Ok, so where’s the landscape, and what’s with that drawing?”
                “I, uh, I don’t know.  All I know is that I remember doing the landscape work and putting it in my bag.  I don’t actually remember drawing this one, but it’s definitely my work.” 
                “So, you have a picture that you drew, but don’t remember drawing, and no landscape in sight.  What’s up with that?” 
                “Uh, well, actually…”  Alex said.  His voice petered out and he rubbed the back of his neck nervously.
                “What? What’s actually?  I don’t like actually.”  Brandon said, getting very nervous.
                “Lately my memory’s been kind of messed up.  I remember doing something, but when I go back and check, I find out that I’m remembering wrong.  I doing one thing, and I find out later that I did something else.  Or that what I did never actually happened at all.”
                “Wow.  Just wow.”  Brandon said.  A silence fell over the dorm room as they both thought about what had just been said.  “That sounds bad.  You should probably get it checked out.”  Brandon said eventually.
                “Yeah, I guess so.  I can probably talk to the psych department or something.  They’d probably get a kick out of this.”
                “Yeah, right.”  Brandon said.  Another quiet spell fell.  “So, uh, what about the landscape?  I mean, you can’t turn that in.”
                “Oh damn it.”  Alex said.  Apparently, the realization of what his mistaken memory meant for his academic life was just hitting him.  “Uh, hang on, I can do this.  I can totally do this.”  He said as he flew back to the drawing table.
                He removed the piece he had been working on, got another sheet of paper ready, and furiously began drawing.  Brandon had to do something to help.  He had two options.  One was to keep an eye on Alex the entire time to make sure one of those little memory problems didn’t crop up.  The other was to get a whole lot of energy drinks to keep the guy drawing as long as humanly possible.  He opted for the latter option.  He dashed out of the room, hoping the campus store was still open.
***************************************
I imagine that having memory issues like this would cause a lot of problems for the person experiencing them.  Although, depending on what one remembers in place of reality, it might also make things interesting.  At least life wouldn't be boring, that's for sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment