Monday, May 11, 2015

Word: Bibliomania





bibliomania

[bib-lee-oh-mey-nee-uh, -meyn-yuh]
noun
1. excessive fondness for acquiring and possessing books.

*******************************
Molly knocked on the door.  She looked around the hallway while she waited for a response.  The hall was well lit and clean, and the door was attractively done up as well.  The building was nice and in a good location with lots of things around to do.  All in all, this would make a fine place to live.  The only downside was the rent for this area was a bit steep, but the fact that she would have a roommate would help lessen the blow in that department.  Still expensive, but much more doable. 
                Some noises from the other side of the door soon caught her attention.  Shuffling feet running around what seemed like several different obstacles.  Molly could only wonder what was on the other side of the door.  She just hoped her prospective roommate wasn’t a complete slob. 
                The door opened just enough for the occupant to poke her head out.  A frizzy mane of red hair and large rectangular glasses greeted Molly.  The girl looked almost nervous about something.
                “H-hello?”  She asked.
                “Uh, yeah, hi.  I’m Molly Green.  We talked on the phone about the room?”
                “Um…Oh!  Oh yes, of course.  I remember now.  Hang on a second.  Um, just, you know, try and ignore the mess.”
                The door was shut and the sound of it being unlatched could be heard.  When it opened, Molly was immediately able to see what her host had meant by mess.  Even from outside the doorway, Molly could see large stacks of books laying around the entryway and living area of the apartment.  There were dozens, or even hundreds of them just in that fairly small area.  She had to wonder how many would be in the rest of the place.
                “Come in.  Just, you know, watch your step.”  Said the owner of the collection.
                “Yeah, right.”  Molly said as she entered the apartment.  “So, I never actually caught your name.”
                “Huh?  Oh, right.  I guess I forgot to put that on the flier, didn’t I?  I’m Liz.”
                “Cool.  So, uh, is there a couch or chairs, or should I make one?”  Molly asked, pointing at the many, many books.
                “Uh, right.  Um, follow me, there’s some spots set up.”  Liz replied. 
                Liz led Molly through the increasingly maze-like piles of books.  Molly had been right.  As many books were visible from the entrance, there were far more in the main part of the apartment.  She swore Liz had as many books as her high school library had.  She wondered if Liz actually read all of them, or just liked having them around.
                “Here we go.”  Liz said.  She was standing in front of a ring of three reading chairs.  Two of them were already occupied by more books, and Liz had begun to remove the piles from one of them.  “You can sit here once I clean it off a bit.”
                “Cool?  I guess?”  Molly wasn’t sure what else to say. 
                Once she finally had the chance to sit, the chair was moderately comfortable.  Not the best she had ever sat in, but not the worst either. 
                “So, um, I guess we should get started, right?” Liz asked.
                “Mm hm.”  Molly agreed.
                “So, tell me about yourself.” 
                The two of them talked about their various lives.  Liz would ask a question about Molly, and she would answer.  It was mainly things about her job, dietary practices, hobbies, music preferences and the like.  Molly was a bit surprised, really.  It sounded like Liz had gotten a list of questions to ask off some website or something.  Of course, it was also just as likely that she had gotten them out of a book or some such.
                “Okay, I think that’s everything.”  Liz said.  “Do you have any questions or anything?”
                “Yeah, do you, uh, do you read all these?”  Molly asked, waving her hand around the room.
                “Oh yes, of course.  Well, I try to anyway.  There’s so only so many hours in a day you know.”
                “Right.  So, how many books do you have in here anyway?”
                “Hm, let me think.”  Liz’s face scrunched up in thought.  “What day is it?”
                “Wednesday.”
                “Okay, what month?”
                “May?”  Molly was more than a little surprised Liz didn’t even know the month.  Day of the week was acceptable, but the month?  She just hoped Liz wouldn’t end up asking about the year as well.
                “I think it’s around 3,280.”
                “Whoa.  Seriously?”
                “Roughly.  It’s a very rough estimate, so I could be wrong.”
                “Dear lord, girl.  How do you keep track of them all?”
                “I have a system.  It’s not perfect, but it works for me.”
                “Uh huh.  You do know there’s such a thing as an E-reader, right?  You can get most of these books digitally.  You could get rid of most of them that way, and just keep the ones that aren’t online.”  Molly said, hoping to be helpful.
                “But if I did that, I wouldn’t have the books.”  Liz said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.
                “It would make it easier to get around this place you know.”
                “But…but…books…”  Liz almost looked sad when she said it.  Molly figured another line of reasoning might work.
                “You’d be able to get a lot more books digitally though.” 
                “But I like having the actual book.  It’s just not the same when you’re reading it off a screen.  I’ve tried you know. It just doesn’t feel right.”
                “If you say so.”  Molly said skeptically.
                “You sound like you don’t like to read.”  Liz said.
                “It’s not that.  I read more than most others our age.  I just prefer to do in a more compact format is all.”  Molly replied.  She wished she had actually brought her E-reader with her, just to show how loaded the thing was. 
                “Seems kind of weird to me, looking at a book on a screen.  I mean, books are supposed to be on paper.”
                “Well, to each her own, I guess.”
                “I suppose.”  Liz looked like she was thinking hard about something. “So, um, about you moving in here; you seem nice enough, except for the whole e-book thing.  Um, if you want, you can stay here for a week and see?”
                “Uh, yeah.”  Molly wasn’t sure about whether she wanted the apartment anymore.  Of course, it was a nice place, even though it was overloaded with literature.  “I actually have a few other places I was going to check out before I commit to anything.  That’s fine, right?”
                “O-oh, yes.  Of course.  You’re the only one to respond to the ad, so you probably have time.  Just…just you know, let me know?  Um, if you wanted a full tour before you decide, we can do that now also.”
                Molly thought about it.  Liz just looked so earnest and nervous about the whole thing.  Even though the girl had an almost unhealthy attachment to books, she didn’t seem so bad.  She nodded and agreed to the tour.  The two of them stood to begin.  Molly just hoped she would be able to see anything other than books.
****************************
I should probably read more.  I'm told to be a writer, reading a lot is a must, but I have other things I like to do.  Meh.  Maybe someday I'll start reading more.  Maybe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment