Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Word: Defenestrate





defenestrate

[dee-fen-uh-streyt] 
verb (used with object), defenestrated, defenestrating.
1. to throw (a person or thing) out of a window.

************************************
Did…did he actually just do that?  Wow, he did, didn’t he.  I mean, yeah, he said he would, but I didn’t think he’d actually go through with it.  I mean, really, who throws someone out a window?  I mean, come on, how does that even happen?  Well, I guess in movies people get tossed out windows all the time, but I didn’t think it happened in real life.  Welp, nothing I can do about it now, I guess.  I suppose I should just be glad the window was open.  Although, I guess having it closed would’ve made it a lot harder to throw me through it, but still.  He looked strong enough to put me through the glass, and then I’d have glass cuts and stuff in addition to falling.  That would suck.  I mean, even more than it already does.
                So, what now?  I mean, aren’t I supposed to be seeing things?  Well, other than the ground and stuff.  I’ve heard of people’s lives flashing before their eyes at times like these, but I’m not seeing anything.  Although, I guess I am kind of regretting getting an office on the twenty-first floor.  That was kind of a bad choice in retrospect.  Oh well.  Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.  Still, no flashbacks kind of sucks.  I was hoping to have something to watch on my way down.  Just seeing the ground getting close isn’t nice.
                Oh god, the ground is getting closer, isn’t it?  Well, of course it is.  I mean, I’m falling.  What else would it do?  Okay, is there anything I can do?  Should I like, I don’t know, curl up and try and roll?  It works in video games.  Then again, in video games people can shoot fire balls and lasers, so that’s probably not the best thing to base survival strategies on.  Maybe try and fall feet first?  My legs’ll break for sure, but it’s better than everything breaking, right?  Although, given the fact that the ground is concrete and not water, that probably won’t help much. 
                Okay, universe, this would be a great time for me to spontaneously develop the ability to fly.  Yeah, that’d be great.  Wait, how would I know if it did happen?  Would I feel something?  Let’s try this out.  Ok, focus, focus.  Think happy thoughts.  Think of going up, not down.  Think of anything other than falling…
                Yeah, I’m not really sure why I expected that to work.  Kind of dumb, really.  I mean, if I was going to develop the ability to fly, why would it happen now?  Why not years ago?  Oh well.  It would’ve been real nice if I could fly.  And not just right now.  I mean, yeah, now would be really great, but just in general.  No need to wait for traffic.  No need to get gas.  Oh, so many neat things I could’ve done.  I probably wouldn’t have gotten thrown out a window, that’s for sure. 
                Ground’s getting closer.  Wow, this sucks.  I mean, I didn’t even get any good last words in.  That might just be the worst part.  I won’t be remembered for saying anything cool at the last moment.  No, I’ll just be the guy who got thrown out a window.  And I wasn’t even doing anything cool leading up to it either.  I was just talking to the guy.  I mean, come on.  If a guy gets thrown out a window, you expect him t at least be in a fight or something.  You know, kicking butt up until the moment your body hits the glass.  Or not in my case, but still.  Man, this is such a bad
*********************************************
This is a fun word.  It really is.  I mean, just look at it.  It's great.  Plus, the very fact that it even exists is great.  I mean, come on, it's a single word that describes getting thrown out a window.  How great is that?  English is such a weird language, but it has its moments of awesome.  This is one of them. 

1 comment: