Monday, July 6, 2015

Word: Telegnosis





telegnosis

[tel-uh-noh-sis, tel-ig-]
noun
1.  supernatural or occult knowledge; clairvoyance.

 *********************************
              Andy looked at the sheet of paper, and the large red 89 printed on the top.  He was completely satisfied with the high B the number promised.  This had been a hard test, after all.  He glanced around the room, looking at the scores of his fellow classmates.  He couldn’t see all of them, but those he could see were generally lower than his.  And, from the looks on the faces of the others, that seemed to be a fairly steady trend.  The only person he could neither see the score of, nor read the expression of was that of his friend, Lewis.  He would have to wait to find out how Lewis did, though. 
                Fortunately, Andy didn’t have to wait long.  The teacher didn’t seem too intent on teaching.  In fact, it looked like he would be willing to let the class out early if someone bothered to ask.  And there were students there who picked up on this fact just as easily as Andy did.  It wasn’t long before the class was unofficially dismissed.  This just meant they had to stay in the room until the bell rang, but they didn’t actually have to do anything.
                “So, how’d you do?” Andy asked Lewis.
                “I’d rather not say.”  Lewis said.
                “Ouch.  That bad, huh?  Well, don’t feel too bad.  This was a tough one, and I don’t think anyone did too good.”
                “I guess so.” Lewis said.  Lewis was being much more closed off than usual.  Most of the time, he was willing to brag about high scores and complain about low ones.  Andy could immediately tell something was wrong.
                “Yeah, so come on, let’s see it.  I promise I won’t make fun of you too badly this time.”
                “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”
                “Why not?”
                “I just don’t.”
                “Oh come on, give it here.”  Andy said. He pushed Lewis aside to get at his folder.  Lewis tried to resist, but Andy was in better shape, and so was able to fend off his friend long enough to find the test and look at it.
                “No way.”  Andy said, as he looked at Lewis’ test.  “How did you get a hundred on this thing?  I don’t think some of this stuff was even covered in class, and I know you didn’t read the book.  So how in the world did you manage this?”
                “I don’t really know.”  Lewis said.
                “Come on, you can tell me.  Did you like, find the answers or something?  Buy them from someone?  Use your phone?”  Andy said, making sure to keep his voice down.
                “No to all of them.  I don’t know what’s going on, man.  Something weird’s been happening to me lately.”
                “How weird?”
                “Really weird.  I just kind of know things.  Things I shouldn’t know.  I have no idea where it comes from, but it just comes to me.”
                “What’re you talking about?”  Andy asked.  Lewis lowered his head closer to the desk.  Andy brought his own closer.
                “Well, like, the test.  I read a question and thought about it for a bit, and then the answer just popped into my head, like it was always there.”
                “Huh?”
                “Yeah, and that’s not all.  If I really want to, I can see things that’re far away, as long as it’s an answer to a question.  This morning, I wanted to know what Jessica Dawson looks like when she wakes up, and I saw her.  In my head.  It wasn’t like looking through a camera, it was like I was seeing her in person.”
                “Whoa.  That’s crazy.”  Andy said, his voice barely above a whisper.  “So, is she hot when she wakes up?”
                “Kinda.  Not as hot as she is now though.”  Lewis said, casting a sidelong glance at the girl in question.  “But that’s not the point.  The point is I have no idea what’s going on, or how I know all this stuff.”
                “So, what, you’re omniscient or something?”
                “I don’t think so.  I don’t know everything, just the answer to a question.  Also, I have to think about it for a few seconds before it comes to me.  Plus, that doesn’t explain how I can see things in other places.”
                “Clairvoyant then?” Andy said.
                “Hm, that may be part of it, but not everything.  I think that’s what lets me see stuff, but not the whole sudden knowledge thing.”  Lewis answered.  Andy opened his mouth to say something, but Lewis interrupted him.  “And I already asked myself how this is possible.  No matter how hard I thought, I don’t get an answer.  It’s the only question I don’t get one for.”
                “Okay, yeah, that is weird.”  Andy said.  “So you know the answer to any question?”
                “Looks like.”
                “Oh man, you can do so much with that power.”
                “Huh?”
                “Think about it.  You can get famous real easy.  Just get a bunch of science people around and have them as you questions about things they don’t know, and you give them an answer.”
                “Huh.  You know, I hadn’t thought of that.”  Lewis said, holding his chin.  “I guess that would be pretty cool to do.”
                “And that’s just the start.”  Andy shifted and draped his arm around Lewis’ shoulders.  “Lu, my friend, this is the start of big things.  You’re going to go far, and I’ll be right there behind you all the way.”
                “Thanks man.”
“Just, you know, make sure to save a few babes for me, yeah?”
“Eh, no promises, but I’ll try.”  Lewis replied with a grin.
Andy was already thinking of things Lewis could do with his new gifts, wherever they came from.  Before he could voice any of those ideas, the bell rang.  Normally, when that happened, it was the sign to move from one form of boredom and/or torment to another.  This time though, Andy regarded it as the end of one life, and the beginning of a newer, greater one. 
******************************************
Seriously, having this power would be great.  Always knowing the answered to any question asked would be really handy to have.  Of course, it might get kind of boring also, since you never have to wonder about anything ever again, and the best way to go about anything is right there for you.  Plus, all those people asking you things would get really annoying really fast.  Still, there are definitely some questions I'd like the answers to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment