Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Word: whodunit



whodunit

[hoo-duhn-it]

noun, Informal.
1. a narrative dealing with a murder or a series of murders and the detection of the criminal; detective story.


*************************************
“You know what?  I should be a detective.”  Kris said as she closed her book.
                “Okay, and what brought this on?”  Jarred said, not looking away from his computer screen.
                “Well, I’m really good at solving crimes and mysteries and stuff, so I’d make a great detective.”
                This time, Jarred did turn to face her.  She had been reading a new crime novel, which she had apparently just finished.
                “What makes you say that?  Have you ever solved a crime?”
                “Oh, sure.  Plenty of times.”  She said proudly.
                “Really?  When?”
                “Well, just now, for one.  I knew who the criminal was, like, halfway through the book.”  She held up the novel for him to see.  He sighed.
                “You know that doesn’t count, right?  I mean, that’s fiction.  I really doubt the cops will look at that as qualifying.”
                “I know it’s not real.  But this isn’t the first time this has happened.  I always know who the criminal is before any of the characters.  My keen deductive mind is able to pinpoint the culprit early.  Sometimes as early as the first time he’s introduced.”
                Jarred just looked at her and blinked slowly.  The sad part was she probably believed what she was saying. 
                “And you really think the fact that you’ve read lots of murder mysteries—“
                “—Solved a lot.”
                “—Okay, solved a lot of those things makes you qualified for a detective?”
                “Yup.”
                “Kris, you know being a detective isn’t all going out and solving crimes, right?  First you’ve got to be a normal cop, which you’d be terrible at, then you have to work your way up the ranks to becoming a detective.  And even then, most of what you’ll be doing is probably not solving murders and such.  Plus, the murders in those books are designed to be solved.  The authors want the reader to solve them ahead of time so they can feel good about themselves when the criminal is actually revealed.  Chances are if I read that book, I’d be able to piece it together pretty quickly too.”
                “Uh huh.  You just keep telling yourself that.”  Kris said. 
                “The thing is, in real life, it’s not like that.  Real life crimes aren’t made to be solved.  Most of the time, they’re made to not be solved, if they’re put together at all.  Trust me, if I were to stage a crime for real, you’d never solve it.”
                “You really think that, huh?” Kris said smugly. 
                “I know so.”
                “Okay, then prove it.  I’ll give you a month.  Set up a fake crime, with witnesses, a location, even a body or missing item or whatever you want it to be.  I guarantee I’ll solve it real fast.”
                Kris folded her arms and taped the corner of her book lightly against her leg.  Jarred could tell she was convinced of her own abilities. 
                “Okay, fine.  But if you can’t solve it within, say, a week, then you give up on this dumb detective idea and aim for something you can actually do.”
                “A week?”  Kris said, mulling the time frame over.
                “Yeah, a week.  Any longer than that, and the “criminal” will escape, never to be seen again.”
                “Hmm.”  She muttered, considering her options.  “Okay, that’s fine.  One month for you to get it ready, one week for me to solve it.  And if I do, I enter the police force.”
                “Right, right.  Don’t worry, I assure you that you’ll never even get close.  Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some criminal pursuits to plan.”
********************************
If real life was like a crime book, nobody would ever be criminals again.  Think about it.  Every crime is fairly easy to solve, detectives are never killed, and criminals are pretty much guaranteed to be convicted.  It's a criminal's nightmare realm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment