Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Word: Peripatetic





peripatetic

[per-uh-puh-tet-ik]

adjective
1. walking or traveling about; itinerant.
2. (initial capital letter) of or relating to Aristotle, who taught philosophy while walking in the Lyceum of ancient Athens.
3. (initial capital letter) of or relating to the Aristotelian school of philosophy.
noun
4. a person who walks or travels about.
5. (initial capital letter) a member of the Aristotelian school.

**********************************************
                 The gentle rain falling outside wasn’t nearly loud enough to drown out the knocking on the front door.  Mary and Ryan looked at each other, the question on both of their minds not needing to be spoken.  Neither of them was expecting company, and there wouldn’t be any deliveries to late in the evening.  Without a word, Ryan went to open the door.
                “Hello, sir.”  Said the strange, young man.  “I’m a traveler, and was wondering if you’d let me come in out of the rain.  Maybe even stay the night.  Don’t worry, I’ll be out of your hair by morning, I promise.”
                “Uh...”  Ryan said.  He wasn’t quite sure what to think of that.
                The man looked to be in his late twenties or so, and had on slightly worn clothes and a large backpack.  He didn’t seem like a bad person, but that didn’t mean much.  Still, he couldn’t in good conscious let someone stay out in the rain, even if it wasn’t a terribly bad one. 
                “Thank you so much.”  The man when Ryan invited him in.  He walked into the couple’s house and looked around for a bit before saying anything else.  “Very nice home you two have here.”
                “Uh, thanks?”  Mary replied, not quite sure what to think.
                “Oh, where are my manners.”  The stranger said suddenly.  “I’m Nick.  Nice to meet you both.”
                Ryan and Mary hesitantly introduced themselves.  Conversation was hesitant after that.  Nick seemed quite willing to have a conversation, but the two of them were not nearly as eager.  It wasn’t until Nick’s stomach gave its thoughts that the small talk stopped.
                “Well, that was embarrassing.”  Nick said with a hearty laugh. 
                “No, no. It’s fine.”  Mary said.  “It is close to dinner now, after all.  Hang on, I’ll go get it all ready.”  Nick stood up quickly.
                “Hang on, let me take care of it.  Just tell me where to kitchen is and I’ll take care of everything.”
                “Uh, you can cook?”  Ryan asked.
                “More or less.  I’m no pro, but I know my way around a frying pan.”
                When Nick was pointed to the kitchen, the sounds of rummaging and exploring soon came from the room.  He would ask an occasional question about something’s location, but other than that he didn’t say much else.  Mary tried to go in and do something, but she was quickly booted out, with Nick claiming that he worked best without prying eyes.
                When he was finished, he was guided to the kitchen and laid three bowls of something in front of each of them.  Neither Ryan nor Mary could tell immediately what it was.  All that they could tell was that it was some kind of meat and vegetables.  Even knowing what they had in stock didn’t help as much as it should have.
                “Well, dig in.”  Nick said, happily taking a forkful of the mystery dish.
                Ryan tentatively speared one of the chunks of meat and ate it.  To his surprise, it actually tasted quite nice.  When Mary saw his positive reaction, she joined in the meal as well.  Once food was being eaten, conversation came much quicker and less hesitantly for the small group.  Mary even went as far as to ask for the recipe.
                “So, Nick, tell us about yourself?  Why’d you come knocking on our door?”  Ryan asked between bites.
                “Well, I’m something of a wanderer.  I simply go wherever my feet take me, as the saying goes.  And it just so happens that I was nearby when the rain started.  I asked at a few other places, but well, you can imagine how that went.”
                “I bet.”  Mary said.  “So do you walk, drive?  What?”
                “I walk.  And I don’t have any place to go, really.  I’m just seeing the sights, taking it all in.  You know, traveling for traveling’s sake.”
                “That’s unusual in this day and age.  Why do all that?”  Ryan asked.
                “It wasn’t exactly my plan.  See, at first I was doing the nine-to-five slog like everyone else.  Went though a few jobs trying to find the right one and never did.  So I gave it all up.  I gathered a few things, took out what money I had set out.”
                “A few things?”
                “Mostly clothes, a small tent, a nice multi-tool, and my recording things.  That’s a camera and a sweet little e-notebook thing.  Here, I’ll show you.”
                Nick scrambled for his backpack, returning a few minutes later with the devices.  He held a small digital camera and a tablet. 
                “One’s for recording sights and sounds, the other’s for thoughts and experiences.”  Nick said.  “It’s great having these along.  Without them I don’t think I’d be able to keep walking like I do.”
                “I didn’t think you’d be so high tech.”  Ryan said.
                “Most don’t.  But yeah, these are so much better for me than film and paper.  With those I’d need a much bigger suitcase for all the pictures I take and notebooks I’d fill.  With these I just need a few SIM cards and I’m good.  I’m on my third for the camera and second for the notepad.  Plus, with these I can take videos and still shots.  Can’t do that with an old school camera.”
                “True.”  Ryan said.  “So, how long do you stay places?”
                “Usually I stay in any given town about a week.  Enough to take a few odd jobs for some spending cash and to take in the local flavor.  Most of the time I find a good cheap motel, or camp out if the weather’s nice.  But for private residences like this one, a day at most.  Don’t worry, I won’t be overstaying my welcome.”  Both Ryan and Mary were glad to hear that.  He seemed nice enough, but that didn’t mean they wanted a long term squatter.
                “So, what kinds of things have you seen?  Any good stories?”  Mary asked.
                “Lots of things and many stories.  Trust me, if I go into any detail, we’ll be here a very long time.”
                “Well, how about just one then?”
                “Well, I suppose one wouldn’t hurt.”  
*********************************************
Did you know that ancient Greeks would always accept visitors, no matter who it was?  The thought was that you should be good to travelers because you never knew who was a god in disguise.  That's also why in all those old Greek stories, people are always being let into other peoples houses and then given gifts. Weird by our standards, but perfectly normal for them.  Amazing how times change, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment