Monday, July 18, 2016

Word: Arrears


arrears

[uh-reerz]

plural noun
1. the state of being behind or late, especially in the fulfillment of a duty, promise, obligation, or the like:
Many homeowners have fallen into arrears.
2. Sometimes, arrear. something overdue in payment; a debt that remains unpaid:
Those countries that have paid their arrears may be granted additional loans.
Idioms
3. in arrears, behind or late, especially in payment:
She was three months in arrears on her mortgage and credit card payments.

 ********************************
                Cold water splashed on Tom’s face, jolting him back to alertness.  He sputtered and coughed as the water rolled down his clothes and throat.  He tried to wipe it away, but found his hands were tied behind the chair he was sitting in.  He shook his head to get rid of the water instead.
                Once his face was as dry as it was going to get, he took a look around.  He was in a dimly lit, mostly empty room.  The only thing in it was the chair he sat on, and the people around him.  Two of them were very large, very rough looking men that had likely been the cause of his arrival.  He didn’t know who they were.  The third was a much smaller man with sharp, eagle like features.  He did know that one.
                “Oh, hey Gary, who’s it going?”  Tom said.
                “Honestly, it could be better, Tom, it really could.” Gary replied. 
                “Sorry to hear that.  I’d offer to help, but I’m a bit tied up at the moment.”
                “I’m sure.  But even with your current state, I’m sure you can help me quite a bit.”
                “I’m all ears.”
                “Tom, you remember that money you borrowed from my bosses?”
                “Can’t say I do.  Remind me, huh?”
                In fact, Tom did remember the money.  He remembered it quite well.  And how he had used it on investments that didn’t quite pan out the way he had hoped they would.  He shifted his wrists around in an attempt to loosen the knots.  He might be able to make a break for the door behind Gary.  It wasn’t a great chance, but it was something.
                “You, sir, borrowed a sum totaling five hundred thousand dollars from my employer.  You were given a generous grace period before repayment was asked for.  And after that, you were given a very reasonable repayment plan, and a very low interest rate on the loan.”
                “Oh yeah, I think it’s starting to come back to me.”
                Gary continued as if Tom hadn’t said anything, “And yet, to this day, you have yet to pay back a single cent of it.  My employers are not very happy with this, you understand.”
                “Yeah, sure.”
                “Well, they would very much like their money.  They’ve given you ample notice of this, and yet you have ignored every single one.  Why is that, Tom?”
                “Oh, you know.  This and that.  Stuff happens, people lose things, things get misplaced.  You know, life and stuff.”
                Gary smiled and huffed out a tiny laugh.  “Yes, life and stuff.”  He said.  “It’s for those reasons that you were given so many chances and warnings.  Well, that last warning you got?  It was your last.  Now my employer needs a method of repayment, and they need it quite quickly.  They’ve decided to simply take everything you’re worth.  How does that sound?”
                “Honestly?  Not ideal.”
                “Yes, well, you should have paid attention to the warnings when you had the chance.  If you had, you wouldn’t be here now.”
                “Say, uh, Gary, why am I here anyway?”
                “What do you mean?”
                “Well, your boss takes everything I own, right?  That’s my house and everything in it.  I get that.  I don’t like it, but I get it.  So why am I here?”
                “Oh, I see your confusion.  You see, when I say everything you’re worth, I mean everything.  It’s not just your personal possessions that have value, you know.”
                Tom felt his blood run cold.  He redoubled his efforts to undo his bonds, but he was no escape artist.  The metal door opened and a man dressed in red and white clothes entered.  He pushed a metal cart in front of him.  From his position, Tom couldn’t see what was on it, but he could imagine. 
                “For the record,” Gary said, “I do wish it had been otherwise.  I do like you Tom, I really do.  I wish things didn’t have to be this way.  Goodbye Tom.” 
*****************************************
Yeah, he probably won't survive that.  It's...it's probably not going to be pretty either.

Also, in case you forgot, I have a book published.  Check it out please.  Pwetty pwease?  

No comments:

Post a Comment