Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Word: Honorific


honorific

[on-uh-rif-ik]
adjective
1. Also, honorifical. doing or conferring honor.
2. conveying honor, as a title or a grammatical form used in speaking to or about a superior, elder, etc.
noun
3. (in certain languages, as Chinese and Japanese) a class of forms used to show respect, especially in direct address.
4. a title or term of respect.

 ******************************************
                The well dressed boy knocked lightly on the heavy wooden door before entering.  George wished he wouldn’t do that.  The whole point of knocking was to ask for entry, and yet the boy used it more like an announcement of his presence than anything else.  It was probably partially George’s fault though.  He was the one who insisted on keeping the door open in the first place.
                “M’lord, I have news.” The boy said.  George cringed.
                “What did you just say?” He asked.
                “I-I have news, sir.”  The boy repeated nervously.
                “No, no.  Before that.  What did you call me?”
                “M’lord?”
                “Yes, that.  Don’t call me that.  Ever.”
                “But…but m—“
                George turned and shot the boy a piercing glair.  The boy stopped talking immediately.
                “You must know by now I hate being called a lord.  It irks me.”
                “But, sir, it is your title.”
                “No, my title is not lord.  My title is Duke, and that’s no fault of mine, I assure you.  And before you get any ideas in that little head of yours, don’t call me duke either.  That irks me as well.”
                “But then, what shall I address you as?”
                “Well, I always did find my name to be a decent one.  Start with that.”
                The boy looked horrified.  “But…but for one such as me to call you by your name.  It would—“
                “Yes, yes, I know.  It would be a scandal.  A terrible thing that would result in you being banished.  Or something like that.  Am I right?”  The boy nodded.  “Well, frankly, I don’t care about any of that.  Besides, right now, there’s only two people here.  And since I’m the one telling you to call me by my name, you can be reasonably assured that you will not be lynched for it.”
                “But…but…”  The boy clearly was not convinced.
                “Look, if it makes you feel better, it’s not just you.  I ask all my employees to call me by my name.  I know it’s improper, but all those titles and honorifics just get to me.  I don’t like them and I doubt I ever will.  So, just call me by my name.”  The boy looked at his shoes and shuffled his feet.  “If it makes you feel better, you can still call me by my title in public.”
                “Yes…”  The boy paused.  His mouth contorted and shifted around before continuing. “George.”  He cringed, like he was expecting to be struck by lightning at any moment.
                “There, you see?  That wasn’t so hard, was it?  Oh, yes, you can answer freely.”
                “In that case, it was very hard.”
                “It’ll get easier, I assure you.  Now then, what was it you wanted?”
                The boy thought for a moment.  Whatever news he had brought had gotten lost in his young mind.  His eyes lit up when he remembered.
                “Oh, yes.  I have news, George.”
                George smiled at the boy’s use of his name.  “What is it then?”
                “You have received an invitation to the royal hunt.  The king himself wishes you to join him in three days at the royal palace for ox and deer hunting.”
                “Is that so?  Huh, imagine that.  I thought he’d never ask.  Too many people to invite, you know.  Well, I guess I’d better get ready.  Don’t want to keep Julian waiting, now do I?”  The boy’s eyes opened wide.  To mention the name of a duke was one thing, but the king?  That was very nearly blasphemous.  “Something wrong?  Oh, yes, of course.  You wouldn’t know, would you?  Our illustrious King Julian hates being called by titles and honorifics  even more that I do.  He’s just better at hiding it.”
************************************************
Pretty sure being called by a title all the time would get on my nerves after awhile as well.  I know it's important in some cases, but I can imagine it'd get annoying after hearing it enough times.

No comments:

Post a Comment