Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Word: Nodus





nodus

[noh-duh s]
noun, plural nodi
[noh-dahy, -dee]
1. a difficult or intricate point, situation, plot, etc.

*************************************
              “I don’t get it.” Ken said as he looked over the loose sheets of paper.
               “What’s wrong?” Julie asked. 
She peered over Ken’s shoulder as he read.  He was looking at a section of her manuscript that was towards the end.  It was, essentially the big reveal, where everything else came together and all the questions were answered.  It wasn’t quite the climax, but led directly to it.
                “Well, it’s kind of, I don’t know, confusing.”
                “How so?”
                “It’s really complicated.  Like, really, overly complicated.  I just can’t follow it.”
                Julie was horrified.  She felt it was all perfectly clear, but if a smart guy like Ken couldn’t understand what she had wrote, how could anyone else?  She nearly tore the page out of his hands and furiously read what she had written, hoping to find the places that could be confusing.  But alas, her bias as the author prevented her from seeing it.
                “Where?  Which part?” She asked.
                “All of it.  The antagonist’s entire plot is really overly complicated and confusing.  And now that he’s explaining it all, I just think ‘huh?’  You need to simplify pretty much everything.”
                That was a daunting task.  The book was over three hundred pages long, and the build up for the reveal was scattered across the entire thing. 
                “I…I don’t think I can do that.” She said.  “I worked really hard on making his plan, and how it would all fit together with everything that happens.”
                “Yeah, that might be the problem, actually.  Does his plan have to touch everything?  I mean, some things can happen just because they happen, and he just takes advantage of it, you know?”
                “Okay, fine.  But if I make it too simple, won’t it be easy for the reader to predict what’s going on?”
                “Depends.  You don’t have to make it super obvious, just simpler than what you have.  Cut out the extraneous parts and just keep the really important sections.  Like the it about the train and the trucks.  That’s good.  You can keep that.  But then the computer things?  Those aren’t really important to what he’s trying to do as I understand it.  I guess you might think differently, but still.  Just think about what he’s trying to accomplish and keep the parts of the plan that directly lead up to that goal.  Those things that are made to hinder people or something like that can go.”
                “I see.” Julie thought about what Ken was saying.
                She took another look at the page in question.  Suddenly, it was obvious.  Everything Ken was talking about became painfully obvious to her, and she saw that more than half of what she had written could be changed drastically, or cut entirely.
                “I think I get it.” She said.  “But there’s things I really like, but aren’t directly a part of his goal.  I don’t want to lose those.”
                “Then don’t.  They can still be a part of the story, just in a different way.  Like I said, it could be something unexpected that he just takes advantage of.”
                “Sounds hard.  I’ll have to change a lot of stuff if I do that.”
                “Yeah, but that’s all part of the process.  Nobody said writing a book would be easy, you know.”
                “That’s true.”  She paused for a few seconds before saying anything else, “So, are there any other things that I need to change?” 
****************************************
The second draft is hard.  It really is. You have to take something you worked hard to write, and then completely change almost everything about it in some way.  It kind of sucks, but it has to be done.  If the world lacked second drafts, just about everything ever written would suck.

1 comment: