Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Word: Cantankerous

cantankerous

[kan-tang-ker-uh s]

adjective
1. disagreeable to deal with; contentious; peevish:
a cantankerous, argumentative man.
*******************************
Phil sat deep in his chair and grumbled at the TV.  Janet heard the sound and sighed.
“What is it now?” She asked heavily.
“Everything, that’s what.  The world’s going to hell, and these people are cashing in on it.”
“Oh for…you sound like an old man, you know that?”
“What’s wrong with that?  I am an old man.”
Janet looked at him and blinked before saying anything.  “Phil, you’re 31.  You’re not old, and the only people who think you are still have their baby teeth.”
“You can say that.  You’re still in your twenties.”
“I’m 29.  Not exactly a big age difference there.”
“Still counts.”
Janet rolled her eyes and ended the conversation.  She liked the guy well enough, but it was impossible to have a reasonable conversation when he got in such a mood.  She would try again when he was feeling more cheerful.  Whenever that would be.
“Hey, what should we do for dinner?” She asked after a few minutes.  Like all men, there were some subjects that were guaranteed to bring on a good mood, and food was one of them.
“Whatever.” He grumbled.
That was a surprise.  He usually had some opinion on the subject of meals.  There was always something he wanted to eat.  That was fine by her, since Janet liked all the same foods as he did, so there was rarely any conflict.  But he always had some opinion. 
“Seriously?  Nothing?  No ideas, nothing you want today?” She tried again.  He just shrugged his shoulders.  “Wow.  What’s gotten into you?”
“Maybe I just don’t care today.  Maybe I don’t always have to think of stuff.”  He said.  His tone matched his earlier grumbles and mutterings.
She was starting to get the picture. He was being difficult just to be difficult.  He got like that sometimes, but only when he was in a particularly bad mood.  Something had happened.  Something big.
“Okay, what’s wrong?” Janet asked through a light sigh.
“Nothing.”
“What happened?”
“Nothing.”
“Come on, tell me.”
Phil huffed, crossed his arms, scowled, and did his best to sink deeper into the chair.
“Oh, don’t be like that, you big baby.  I know there’s something wrong, so spill it.”
“Well, right now my girlfriend is bothering me while I’m trying to watch TV.  Does that count?”
“No.  Now talk, or I’ll hide the remote.”
“You mean the one in my hand right now?” Phil held up the item in question.
“Okay, fine.  If you want to act like a child, I’ll treat you like one.  Tell me what’s wrong, or you won’t get dinner.”
Phil huffed and tried to put an indifferent face on.  Janet was not fooled.  The threat of not eating got under his skin.  He would talk; it was only a matter of time.
“Now, where should I eat?  Maybe I’ll go to Joey’s?  Nah, I’m not up for that.  Oh, I know, Trendies!  I have a gift card anyway.  Yeah, I think that’ll do.  Oh, but you’ll be staying here.”  Janet could see Phil’s Adam’s apple twitch.  He was breaking.  “It’ll only take a few minutes to get ready, and then you can sit here and sulk in peace.”
Janet went to grab a light jacket.  She put the garment on and headed towards the door.
“Wait.” Phil called.  Just like she knew he would.  “Fine.  You want to know what’s wrong?  It’s like this…”
*******************************
And that, as they say, is a story for another day.  Muahaha and all that evil laughter stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment