Thursday, June 29, 2017

Word: Ophidian

ophidian

[oh-fid-ee-uh n]
adjective
1. belonging or pertaining to the suborder Ophidia (Serpentes), comprising the snakes.
noun
2. a snake.
***********************
 
                Rick couldn’t believe how well the date was going.  The woman he was with, Olivia, was everything she had claimed to be online.  She was smart, beautiful, and easy to talk with.  She seemed absolutely perfect.  A part of him knew there had to be something wrong with her, but he had given up looking for flaws an hour ago.
                The two of them sat in the restaurant and were having a fine conversation while waiting for their meal.  Rick was quite relieved when she had ordered pork chops.  It meant she had no problem with meat and, should they start dating exclusively, she would probably not force him to adhere to any weird diets.
                When the food finally arrived, Olivia dug in right away.  She cut a very large chunk of meat off of it.  Rick thought nothing of it, as he thought she would just cut it into smaller, more reasonable bites.  That is, until she speared the entire thing with her fork and brought it to her mouth.  The piece of meat was larger than what would fit in her mouth, yet, she still tried to fit it all in.
                “Are…are you okay?” Rick asked.  It looked like Olivia was trying to open her mouth wider than it would naturally go, but she stopped and put the meat down when he asked his question.
                “Yeah, I’m fine.” She said.  “Sorry about that.  I’m hungry and I guess I accidentally let my inner self out.”
                “Inner self?” Rick was starting to get worried.  The part of his mind that was warning him about potential flaws had come back and was now screaming at him.
                “Yup.  I’m a snake, you see.  A copperhead to be precise.”
                “Uh, what?”
                “Yup, I’m a snake.  Oh, don’t get me wrong, I was born human, just like everyone else, but on the inside, I’m a copperhead snake.”
                “Oh.  I see.”
                And there it was.  She was a therian.  A person who felt spiritually connected with an animal, sometimes to the point where they could actually think they are that animal on a spiritual level.
                “So, yeah, I guess I just let it out too much and tried to unhinge my jaw.” She continued.  She began cutting her meal into smaller, more manageable pieces.  “Is there a problem?” She asked once she noticed how Rick was looking at her.
                “Uh, nope.  No, no problem.” He said nervously.    
                “You sure?  You’re looking a bit weird.”
                “What?  No I’m not.  I would never do that.”
                “You think I’m weird or crazy or something, don’t you.” She said flatly.  “It’s okay, you can tell me.”
                “No, no, of course not.  Well, maybe just a little.”
                “It’s not that weird, you know.  Lots of people associate themselves with being something other than what their body is.  For most people like that, it’s the opposite gender.  For me, it’s a copperhead instead of a human.  It’s not that strange if you think about it like that.  And no, I don’t try and…do anything with snakes.  I am fully aware that biologically, I’m homo sapien, even if spiritually, I’m agkistrodon contortrix.  Most of the time, I’m perfectly normal by society’s standards.  My inner snake mostly comes out with my liking to sit under hot lights and liking warm weather.  And, the occasional attempt to unhinge my jaw, but that doesn’t happen often.  And no, I don’t keep any snakes at home.”
                “If you say so.” Rick said. 
He was not so sure.  But, on the other hand, she was quite pleasant when not talking about her supposed serpentine nature, and he had been having a good time until she brought that up.  As the meal went on, he decided to at least give it another chance and hope she did not try to bite him.
********************************
Yes, this is a real thing.  I haven't encountered any myself, but they exist.  Look it up, it's there online.  Not that that mean anything, since pretty much everything's online these days, but it's still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment