Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Word: Hoggery




hoggery

[haw-guh-ree, hog-uh-]

noun, plural hog·ger·ies.

1. piggery.
2. slovenly or greedy behavior
*******************************
               Josh walked into his store with his head held high.  He had finally done it.  He had not only opened his own business, but he had managed to get it moderately successful.  While he would not be making millions any time soon, he was able to safely say his business had staying power.  He even had managed to pick up several regular customers.  It had been hard work, but the results were worth it.
               He opened the store and strode behind the counter, waiting for the first customers.  He knew they probably would not come in so early, since not even his employees came in so close to opening, but he found it best to maintain a hopeful attitude.
               The first person through the door gave him pause though.  The man was as wide as he was tall, and dressed in an expensive suit that would be flattering on a man in better shape.  His hair was slicked back, he wore a watch that looked like it was more expensive than some houses, and he carried himself with a confidence one his size should not be allowed.  And he made Josh nervous.
               “May I help you, sir?” Josh asked, politely.  Paranoia was no reason to ignore customer service. 
               The man looked around the store before settling on Josh.  “Possibly.  I want to speak with the store’s owner, if he’s available.  If not, the highest manager currently present.”
               “I’m the store’s owner.”
               A wolfish grin crossed the man’s face.  “Really now?  Always good to see an up and coming young entrepreneur.”  The man approached the counter and extended his hand.  Josh shook it out of social obligation more than anything.  “My name is Tomas Reglin.  Don’t worry if you haven’t heard of me, I try and keep out of the limelight as much as possible.”
               “Nice to meet you, Mr. Reglin?” Josh asked.  The other man ignored the question in the younger man’s voice.  “What, uh, what can I do for you?”
               “I notice you’ve been doing fairly well for yourself.”  Josh could not help but show a bit of pride at that.  “Especially for such a small business.  Quite commendable, if I do say so myself.  Which is why I’m buying this place.”
               Every mental process in Josh’s mind froze.  “What?”
               “I’m buying your business.  I can promise a very generous sum, and if you’re really attached to this place I can even keep you on as a manager, and I’ll even consider your employees.  I’m sure some of them will have to be replaced, but most of them should be acceptable.”
               “What?” Josh asked again.
               “What would you think about, say, five million?  I assure you it’s more than you’d make in several years.”
               “I…why?  Why buy this place?”
               “Why?  Simple.  It’s what I do.  You see, young man, I’m a businessman, in the purest sense.  That is, I’m in the business of business.  I buy places like this, make a few key modifications and let the profits roll in.”
               “I see.  With all due respect Mr. Reglin, but I’d rather not sell.  I like this place, and I like being my own boss.  Plus, I worked hard to make this place what it is.”
               “I see, I see.  Of course, you’re entitled to such thoughts, but I do hope you know what it means to not sell to me.”
“Oh?”
               Mr. Reglin leaned on the counter.  Or at least, he attempted to.  His sizable gut prevented it from having any real impact.  “You see, many people refuse to sell at first.  But those people tend to see a substantial dip in their customer base soon after.  They always sell, and at a significantly lower price than my original offer.
Josh’s blood ran cold.  The threat was obvious.  And he now knew what kind of position he had just been placed in.  He did not want to sell, but if what Mr. Reglin said was true, he might have no choice.
“Why would you do this?  It’s not like a small place like this had much to offer.”
“Oh I know.  But it’s a fairly successful business, and that means profits for me once I own it.  And more profits makes me very happy.”
Greed.  Pure, undiluted greed.  That was what was about to take away his dream, and he could do little about it.  He could try and refuse and weather whatever storm was set against him.  But he was not successful or established enough to do that.  Not against a man who replaced his conscience with money.  That did not mean he had to like it.
“Can I have some time to think it over?”
“Of course, of course.  I’ll give you until the end of the month to come to a decision.  Here, my card, and a list of some of the businesses I own.  Feel free to call them and see what they say about me.  Call me when you make up your mind, and if I don’t hear from you, I’ll be sure to remind you of my generous offer.  Have a good day.”
************************
I don't think I'd be able to be a business owner.  I just don't have the drive, temperament or skills to do that. I'd probably end up crashing hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment