Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Word:Nice-nellyism




nice-nellyism

or nice-Nel·ly·ism

[nahys-nel-ee-iz-uh m]

noun

excessive modesty; prudishness.

a euphemism:

*******************************
               “Shelly, you ready yet?” Nichole called.
               “Uh, yeah, I’m good.  I still don’t know why you want me to come, but I’m ready.”
               As Nichole’s roommate entered the living area of their campus owned apartment, Nichole huffed.
               “I’m making you come because you need to have a good time.  Get out there, meet some people, you know?”
               “I do just fine, thank you very much.”
               Nichole turned to face her roommate and nearly fell.  “What…what are you wearing?”
               “What?  You said to wear my party clothes, so that’s what I did.”
               “Those are not party clothes.  Those are things my great grandma would wear.”
               Shelly wore a heavy, figure concealing, powder blue blouse and matching skirt that ended just above her ankle.  The thing was so bulky and formless that the only way it would catch anyone’s eye was out of pity.
               “What?  It’s fun.  It’s colorful.  It’s perfect for a party.”
               “Maybe in Amish country.  Besides, you wear the same kind of thing all the time.  The whole point of this thing is to wear short skirts and low cut tops.”
               “Why would I do that?  Besides, this is my short skirt.  It’s a whole inch shorter than normal.”
               Nichole groaned.  This was going to be harder than she thought. 
               “We are going to this party to hook up.  You know, get a guy, have some fun and then never see him again.”
               Shelly’s eyes opened wide and she gasped.  “No!  I would never do that.  That…that’s just not the kind of thing a lady should be doing.”
               Nichole rubbed the bridge of her nose.  “Shelly, what the hell?  You have got to be the single hottest girl on campus.  Why are you acting like we’re still in the Victorian era?  You should have guys tripping over themselves just to get within five feet of you.  And here you are, trying to go to a frat party dressed like a librarian crossed with a school teacher.  And not even the fun kinds.”
               “Both very noble professions, and whose choice of fashion should not be in question.  Also, you’re making me go to this party thing.  I’m simply not interested in frivolous hookups.  That kind of thing should wait until marriage anyway.”
               Nichole said nothing for several seconds.  Her mind was too busy processing what Shelly had just said.  And the fact that she looked so sure of what she was saying made it so much harder for Nichole to properly understand. 
               “Oh my god, you’re serious, aren’t you?  You actually believe in all that bible stuff, don’t you?”
               “Well, I’m not all that religious, but I understand some of the morality.  I didn’t learn it from there though.  My parents and grandparents did.  They always told me a woman’s body is a sacred thing and should be treated as such.  Only the man who you spend your life with should be allowed access to it.”
               “Wow.  Just…just wow.  I can honestly say I’ve never heard anyone who actually thinks like that anymore.  This is just…wow.  You know what, maybe you should stay back.  For some reason, I’m thinking this might not be a good place to get you started on the whole meeting people thing.  Maybe something…gentler.  Like a campus mixer or something.”
               “That does sound much more enjoyable, yes.”
               “Yeah, I’m sure.  Anyway, I’m still going to the party.  You can stay here and do…whatever it is you do.  See ya.”
               “Okay, have fun.  Just not that kind of fun.”
*************************************
 Yeah, to be honest, I'm kind of drawing a blank on what else to say right now.  So, you know, have a nice day all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment