Thursday, April 25, 2019

Word: Frisson




frisson

[ free-sohn; French free-sawn ]

noun, plural fris·sons [free-sohnz; French free-sawn] /friˈsõʊ̃z; French friˈsɔ̃/.

a sudden, passing sensation of excitement; a shudder of emotion; thrill: The movie offers the viewer the occasional frisson of seeing a character in mortal danger.

*******************************************
Oh god, oh god, oh god.  Why?  Why am I doing this?  Why did I agree to do this?  I shouldn’t be here.  I can just duck out, right?  Someone else who actually wants to go on this ride can take my place.  I mean, there’s plenty of people who like this sort of thing.  I’d rather stay as far away from this…this death trap as I possibly can.  Oh god, there’s the entrance.  Last chance to get away.  And it’s gone.  Damn it.  Oh man, this is going to kill me, I just know it.  It’ll stop working or break down or something.  Hell, maybe the entire ride will just fall apart.  It could happen, right?  I’ve heard stories about that happening.  Oh, god, the bar.  Safety bar?  More like prison bar.  All this thing’ll do is keep me pinning in the burning wreckage when the ride breaks down.  It’ll happen, just you wait and see.  Maybe there’s still time.  If I tell the workers that I want to get off, maybe they’ll let me.  Welp, too late now.  It started.  And I’m dead.  I am so totally dead.  Everyone on board this ride will now die.  I don’t know how it’ll happen, but it will.  I just know it.  Great, it’s going slow.  More time for something to go wrong.  I hate this.  Oh god, now we’re going up.  Up is bad.  Up is very, very bad.  Up means there’s farther to fall when all the ride’s supports collapse.  And why is it moving so slowly?  Aren’t these things supposed to be fast?  Oh god, what if it’s the speed that’ll do it?  Like, it gets out of control and starts moving faster and faster until all my organs get turned to mush.  And then the supports break.  Why do people go on these again?  Okay we’re at the top.  Great.  Just enough time to see the ground from up here before I meet it face first.  Wait, what’s going on?  What’s happening?  Why do I feel…
“WOOOOOOAAAAHHHHH!”

“AAAAAHHHHHHH!”

“WWWWWAAAAAAA!”
Is…is it over?  Is that it?  Did…did I survive?  Nothing broke down?  Wow.  Nothing broke down.  And all my parts are in the right place.  Huh.  Now that I think about it, that was…kind of fun, right?  Like, WHAM!  BAM!  WOOSH!  Is this how it is for all of these rides?  Is that why people go on them?  Wow.  Maybe…maybe I should try more.  I mean, it wasn’t very long, so it won’t take long to see.  For purely experimental reasons, of course.  I have to see how this ride compares to others.  Or…or maybe I could just go on this one again?  You know, to see if it’ll be the same the second time around.  Maybe that would be better.  I mean, I know that this one probably won’t break down.  Yeah, yeah, that’s what I’ll do.  Wait, where are the others?  Why are they leaving?  Don’t they want to go again?  Or another one?  Huh?  The time?  Wow.  I guess the line was longer than I thought.
********************************************
I haven't been to amusement parks very often.  I only went to a big one once when I was a kid, and the rest were all small, local fairs or water parks or something.  And now I probably wouldn't have much fun if I went.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment