Thursday, July 25, 2019

Word: Svengali




Svengali

[ sven-gah-lee, sfen- ]

noun

a person who completely dominates another, usually with selfish or sinister motives.

**************************************
               Lord Elmire was in a good mood as he entered his colleague’s room.  So far, everything had gone wonderfully for him and his territory.  And it was about to get so much better.  He could feel it in his sizable stomach.
               “Greetings, Moren.” Lord Elmire said.  “And how are you this fine day?”
               Lord Moren Transi stood by the window, overlooking the land surrounding his manor.  The taller man peered over his shoulder.  “I am excellent, Julous.  And you?  How is your daughter doing?”
               “Both of us are in fine health, thank you.”
               “Wonderful.  That is so good to hear.  Please, do have a seat.”
               Julous took his host up on his offer, selecting one of the plush seats Moren kept just for guests.  A serving girl came and offered him a glass of fine liquor.  The lord eyed the girl as he took the glass.  She was very pretty, and was dressed to show an almost scandalous amount of skin.  She looked nervous and scared, but that was to be expected.  Thankfully, the servant binding on her ankle made her steady and prevented any unfortunate accidents. 
               “So, to what do I owe the pleasure of your summons?” Julous asked after taking a sip of his drink. 
               Moren sat across from his guest, but waved away the offered drink his servant brought him.  Julous swore he saw the girl flinch, but that was most likely a trick of the eye.  The magic on her binding kept such things from happening, or at least greatly suppressed them. 
               “I’ve been thinking.” The lord said.  “Both of our territories have been prospering at an unprecedented level, have they not?”
               “Indeed.” The guest said with a nod.  “I have more coin in my coffers now than in the past five years combined.”
               “Good, good.  Well, given that, I thought it was time we merged our two lands.”
               Julous’ face lit up.  “A formal alliance then?  How wonderful.  Your son and my daughter will make a fine couple, and your lands will be all the stronger for it.”
               Moren smiled.  It was a thin, small thing, but for some reason, it sent the hairs on the back of Julous’ neck standing on end. 
               “I apologize, but you seem to have misunderstood me.  I must have misspoke, so it is perfectly understandable.  I did not mean an alliance.  I meant you would submit to me, and I would claim your lands as my own.”
               The large man’s face fell.  “That joke, Moren, was in very poor taste.”
               “No joke.  You will kneel to me.  Here.  Now.  Oh, don’t worry, I’ll treat you well.  You’ll retain some manner of influence, second only to my own.”
               Julous set his glass aside.  “And what makes you think that I’ll submit?  Our armies are equal in strength.  Any conflict between us will end in an unfortunate amount of bloodshed and weaken us enough that others can swoop in and take over.  And there’s no guarantee you’ll win such a conflict.  Need I remind you that of the two of us, I’m the better tactician.”
               “Indeed, indeed.  You are quite cleaver, despite your appearance.  But that does not matter.  You will still submit to me.”
               “And why is that?”
               “Because your lands already belong to me.  You just don’t know it yet.”
               “Oh?”
               “You remember the sad state your territory was in just a few years ago, yes?  Well, why is it prospering now?”
               “That would be my new advisor.  He did propose some revolutionary ideas.  I was hesitant to adopt them at first, but now I’m quite glad I did.”
               “And where did this new advisor come from?”
               Lord Julous Elmire thought about his advisor’s background.  It hit him in a flash and his blood ran cold.  This was aided by the chilling smile that snaked along Moren’s face.
               “Oh yes.  You know now, don’t you?  My men have been infiltrating your lands for years.  Your people might as well already by mine.”
               Julous’ hand glowed and the objects in the room sprang to life at his command.  Moren sat, unperturbed by the threat. 
               “Now, now, Julous.  Let’s not be hasty.” Moren said calmly.  “Even if you did that, what good would it do?  We are in my house on my land.  How far do you think you would get if you harmed me?”
               The lord trembled and the glow around his hands dissipated.  The objects clattered to the ground. 
               “There we go.  That is much better.”
               “Why?  Why do this?  What do you want with my land that you would go to such lengths to get it?”
               “Why?  Hm, well, I suppose their wealth and resources will help in acquiring other territories, thus furthering my rise to power.  But really, that is just a bonus.  I just want the land.”
               “You…want it?”
               “Oh yes.  I want it, and so I take it.  Simple, is it not?”
               The hefty man’s eyes went wide.  “Greed?  Nothing but pure greed?”
               “Correct.  Now, kneel.  You have no choice in the matter.  If you want to walk out of here alive, you will do as I say.”
               Out of the corner of his eyes, Julous could see a few servants gathering.  He was also keenly aware that all were armed.  Not heavily, but armed, nonetheless.  With clenched teeth, the former Lord Elmire stood and knelt before his new lord.
 *******************************************
Could I have done this without making it a fantasy story?  Without the magic and weird names and stuff?  Yes.  Yes I could have done that.  Quite easily, in fact.  So why did I include these aspects when they are completely unnecessary to the story?  Because I wanted to, that's why.  So there, ha-ha.  

No comments:

Post a Comment