Friday, September 27, 2019

Word: Viridity




viridity

[ vuh-rid-i-tee ]

noun

greenness; verdancy; verdure.
youth; innocence; inexperience.

***************************************
               Col. Brander looked at the group of dozens of young men arrayed before him.  He let out a heavy sigh and looked at Reynolds, his Staff Sergeant.
               “They’re young.” He said.
               “Yes, sire, they are.”
               “They’re really young.”
               “I think the oldest is 19, sir.”
               “Have they seen any training?”
               “No, sir, they have not.”
               Col. Brander grumbled at that.  Of course the higher ups would send him fresh recruits.  Of course they would force him into a bad position.  It was like they wanted to see him fall. 
               “I asked for soldiers, not recruits.” He said.
               “Yes, sir, you did.  But this is what you got.  I’m fairly sure all the veterans and trained soldiers are already fighting on the front, sir.  So, this is what we get.”
                 The Colonel sighed again and rubbed his forehead. 
               “We don’t have enough time to train them.  Not properly, anyway.” He said.
               “I know, sir.  I know.  But, it’s what has to happen.”
               “Damn it.  Why would Command even think this was a good idea?  To send these boys here is suicide.  Hell, I bet most of them don’t even know what war is.”
               “Oh, I’m sure they know, sir.  At least, in a general sense.  It’s just that they’re full of stories about heroes and glory, and they think that’s what it’ll actually be like.”
               “That just makes it worse.  Most of them won’t survive.”
               “Isn’t that true for all soldiers, sir?”
               “You know what I mean.”
               “Sir, I think the best chance they have will be to get them ready.  At least, as much as possible.”
               Brander looked at the lesser officer.  The man had served him well for years, and was usually right about a lot of things.  This was no different.
               “Guess I’d better get started, then.”
               “Yes, sir.”
               Col. Brander dismissed the Staff Sergeant, ordering the man to see to housing and supplies.  Then he went to get the recruits started.  He would make sure they were as trained as they could be, and that meant doing it himself.
               He gave the order for them to form lines.  They were slow to react, their lines were unorganized, and none of them knew how to stand at attention.
               “I asked High Command for soldiers.  Reinforcements to help hold this fort from the enemy.  I look out at all of you and don’t see a single soldier.  All I see are boys that only just stopped clinging to their mother’s skirts.  Now, it’s not my job to see you properly trained.  That should be a drill sergeant.  But, I’m what you get.  And you will wish it wasn’t.
               “Let me tell you what’s going to happen over the next few months.  I’m going to push you.  I’m going to run you harder and longer than you ever have before.  By the end of the first week, you’ll beg me to go home.  By the end of the second, you’ll want to kill yourself, just for the chance to rest for more than a few hours.  By the end of the third week, you’ll pray for the enemy to come and kill you.  But, by the end of the fourth week, I might be willing to call you proper recruits.
               “Oh yes, recruits.  Not soldiers.  Not after one month.  And it’s then that the really tough training begins.  After two months, maybe some of you will be good enough to be called proper soldiers.  And after three, all of you will be.  These will be the most difficult months of your life to date.  If you don’t think you can handle it, get out of here and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.  I don’t want men who’ll quit halfway through.”
               He waited to see if any of them would leave.  To their credit, none did.  But, then again, he was out of practice.  He probably was not as intimidating as he used to be when he regularly trained new recruits. 
               “Good.  Now then, let’s get started.”
****************************************
I think I've mentioned this before, but I am not, nor ever have been, a soldier.  And I am very glad for that.  I'd be a terrible soldier.  I really would.  Bad eyesight, bad back.  Yeah, the army wouldn't want me even if I signed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment