Friday, August 11, 2023

Word: Mixtape

 

mixtape

or mix tape

[ miks-teyp ]
nounMusic.
  1. a recording on a cassette tape, CD, or digital medium, consisting of music or songs selected by a single person: My boyfriend made me the greatest mixtape for my birthday.

  2. such a recording consisting of music or songs personally selected by the artist, usually a hip-hop artist: His mixtape from a live performance helped propel him to stardom.

 ***********************************

               “Hey, Grandpa?” Kevin asked.

               “Yes?” Grandpa replied, looking up from his book.

               “Grandma says you used to be really good with girls, is that true?”

               Grandpa grinned and set the book down. “I used to be. I don’t mean to brag, but I was quite the lady’s man. I had quite a few lovely ladies interested in me before your grandmother won me over. I take it you have a girl you’re interested in?”

               Kevin nodded while looking at the floor. Grandpa chuckled at his grandson’s behavior.

               “Nothing to be ashamed of. You’re 16. I’d be worried if there wasn’t any girls that caught your eye. So, have you spoken to her? Are you friends or just classmates?”

               “Both? I guess? I mean, we are in a lot of the same classes, and I do talk to her sometimes. I just, you know, don’t know how to do anything else.”

               Grandpa nodded sagely. “Good. You’ve already taken the first step. Holding a small conversation is the gateway to holding a big one. For now, just take some time to get to know her. Make friends with her, and give it some time. The worst thing you can do is rush things. Be respectful. Be polite. But don’t wait too long either. Now, it’s hard to know exactly how long to wait, since every girl is different. Sometimes you’ll wait too long, others, not long enough. And the worst part is you’ll never know until you make your move.”

               Kevin nodded. “And, what should my move be?”

               “Music, Kevin, music. Make her a mixtape filled with songs that show how you feel. That’s how I won over your grandma. As for how she won me over, well, that’s none of your business.”

               Kevin’s brow furrowed. “Uh, mixtape?”

               “Yup. The right songs will show how you feel better than words ever could.”

               Kevin went over his grandpa’s words for a moment. “By mixtape, do you mean a playlist?”

               “Playlist?”

               “You know, a bunch of songs that you like so you download and have ready. Like on YouTube or something.”

               “Hm, I guess it’s similar. But it’s something you can give her. You can put it on a CD if you want.”

               “Grandpa, nobody uses CDs anymore.”

               “They don’t?” He knew people did not use cassettes. Those were going out of style when he was Kevin’s age. But CDs?

               “Nope. Everything’s digital now. Come on, you should know that, Grandpa. We went over that a while ago.”

               “Well, whatever. Do you have a way of sending her some songs that will let her know how you feel about her?”

               “Oh, sure. I can share my playlists no problem. I can make one for her easy.”

               “Good, good. It’d be better if you had something physical to give her, but I suppose that’ll do. But remember, don’t give, er, send it to her right away. Otherwise, you’ll just make her uncomfortable.”

               Kevin nodded. “And once I’ve sent her the playlist?”

               “That’s when you ask her out. If the songs don’t move her heart, you’ve got bigger problems than a rejection.”

               “Okay, thanks, Grandpa! I’ll start looking for songs right away.”

               Kevin pulled out his phone and started doing something with it. At the same time, he went off to other parts of the house. Grandpa sighed and picked up his book. No matter how technology changed, some things would always stay the same.

********************************

 I don't really have much to say about things right now. So yeah, just have a good day and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment