Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Word: Maudlin





maudlin

[mawd-lin]

adjective
1. tearfully or weakly emotional; foolishly sentimental:
a maudlin story of a little orphan and her lost dog.
2. foolishly or mawkishly sentimental because of drunkenness.

***************************
Don fiddled with his pen instead of using it for notes.  It wasn’t as if he needed to actually write anything.  The professor would just post everything he needed from the class online anyway, and the rest was in the textbook.  It wasn’t like the professor would have anything new to add that he hadn’t already read, or would read at a later date.
                Suddenly, Don’s attention was drawn to the door bursting open.  Everyone in the room turned to see who it was that had caused the disturbance.  Don already knew who the panting, sweaty young man was.  His name was Kyle, and Don was almost ashamed to admit he was one of his friends.
                “Mr. Abrams, so nice of you to join us today.”  Said the professor.
                “Sorry, I’m really sorry.”  Kyle said between long gasps of air.  “I got here as fast as I could.”
                “I’m sure you did.”  The professor said dryly.  “And I’m sure you have a reason why you’re late as well.  But, since you’re here now, why not hand in today’s assignment?”
                “Sorry, but I don’t have it.”  Kyle said.  Kyle had a sad look in his eyes.  Don saw through it immediately.
                “Oh?  And why not?”
                “Well, it’s my dog, actually.”
                “Oh, don’t tell me your dog ate your homework.”
                “No.  No way.  He would never do something like that.”  Kyle adopted a serious, almost offended look as he spoke.  “It’s just that…”  He paused for dramatic effect.  “I had to take him to the vet yesterday.”
                “Yesterday?”
                “Yes, yesterday.  You see, I was in the middle of doing the assignment, when he came into my room.  He was limping like crazy, and I could tell by the look in his eyes that something was wrong.  Well, I dropped everything to take him to the vet.  I mean, he’s one of my oldest, most loyal friends.  What else could I do?”
                The entire class was looking right him.  They were eating up his story, and Kyle probably hadn’t even gotten to the really good part yet. 
                “When we got to the vet, well, it wasn’t good.”  Don’s throat got chocked up as he formed the words carefully.  The poor guy has cancer in his right front paw.” 
Don watched as a single tear rolled down Kyle’s cheek.  Several of the girls in class let out little “aww’s”  and other assorted sad sounds.  Don just rolled his eyes and tried not to laugh.
“I just couldn’t leave him.  One look at his face and that was it.  It was like he knew.  He knew that they’ll probably have to remove the leg.  If they don’t…if they don’t….I’m sorry, I just can’t say it.”  Kyle said, wiping away a tear as he talked.  “I had to be there for him.  You know, to comfort him and give him a familiar face to be around.  He won’t be able to run or anything anymore, you know?  He loved running around an playing and now…”
“Yes, yes, I see.”  The professor said, rubbing his forehead.  “I get it.  Just…just go and take a seat.”
“Thank you so much for understanding.  I promise, I’ll make it up to you.”  Kyle said. 
He walked through the aisles to an empty desk next to Don.  Several of the girls looked at him with sad an pitying gazes.  It didn’t take much to think of what Kyle would be doing later on.
“So, what were you really doing yesterday?”  Don whispered.
“Why, what ever o you mean?”  Don asked, feigning ignorance.  “I told you, I was with my poor, cancer ridden dog.”
“Uh huh.  You’ve never had a dog.  You hate dogs.”
“Now now, that’s not true.  I love some things about them.  For instance, I love the effect they have on the ladies.  Sad dog stories are the best ways to get into their hearts, you know.”   
“And their pants.”
“A happy coincidence, I assure you.  It’s not like it’s my fault that one leads to another.  I merely take advantage of it.”
“Yeah, right.  Is that what you were doing yesterday?  Taking advantage of some girl that bought one of your sappy stories?”
“I wouldn’t say I was taking advantage of her.  It was completely voluntary on both sides.”
“Yeah, I’m sure it was.  Just make sure she doesn’t have a boyfriend or anything.”
“I know, I know.  Now then, why don’t we continue this conversation elsewhere.  I think some people are starting to notice.”
“Yes, sir, you big dog loving softy you.”
“Shut up.”  Kyle said. 
Don tried to do his best to pay attention to the lesson, but the idea of Kyle’s imaginary cancer dog was just too funny.  He would probably not be doing much learning for the rest of the day.  
*************************************
I wonder if anyone would actually fall for something like this?  I'm sure some of the more gullible people would.  Too bad I'm not skilled at coming up with stories right off the top of my head like this.  At least, not if I have to say it out loud.  Writing is fine, but not speaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment